The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
I've written some notes if anyone wants to have a look :smile: http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/aqa_biol2_notes
and if I've got anything wrong please feel free to let me know!
Original post by Introverted moron
Thank you for your response, but I'm still a little confused. Also, what is RBC? :colondollar:

I thought there had been a mistake too, but that's definitely what the question says! :tongue:

:smile:Probably just stick to what I have said about viruses, and RBC = Red Blood Cells.

Could you please tell me where have you found this question on antibiotics.:eek:
What is the best way in revising HSW, i just dont get it. Some of the answers in the mark scheme are obvious but I could have never thought of it in the exam.
So what do people think will be on this?
Can anyone explain to me the ' advantage of the S (sigmoid) shape curve for the oxgen-haemoglobin dissociation curve'
i have this question come up in few test papers. :/

Thanksssss
Original post by heavencanwait_
So what do people think will be on this?

probably some statistics, a bit of maths, general knowledge and maybe a little bit of biology (don't count on it though)
Original post by LittleLaurenn
Can anyone explain to me the ' advantage of the S (sigmoid) shape curve for the oxgen-haemoglobin dissociation curve'

Thanksssss

Was it not to do with the fact that a small change in the partial pressure of the oxygen caused a large change in the saturation of the haemoglobin. I've only ever seen this question once, so I'm probably wrong :P
Reply 367
Original post by LittleLaurenn

Thanksssss

After one molecule of oxygen bonds with haemaglobin it causes the quarternary 3d structure to change in such a way that it is easier for more oxygen molecules to bond. The benefit of this is that after one molecule of oxygen bonds with haemaglobin the affinity for oxygen increases so a small change in pO2 leads to a large change in saturation.

I dunno how close i got.
What does it mean by the first two bases of the triplet code are the most important as they code for the amino acid??? Anyone been taught that?

Also do we need to know anything about hypervariable regions in DNA? If so is it just not coding multiple repeats that can be used in DNA fingerprinting because the number of repeats in each person is different?
Do we only need to know 'semi-conservative' replication? because i'm sure there are other types :/
Original post by TlanTlan
After one molecule of oxygen bonds with haemaglobin it causes the quarternary 3d structure to change in such a way that it is easier for more oxygen molecules to bond. The benefit of this is that after one molecule of oxygen bonds with haemaglobin the affinity for oxygen increases so a small change in pO2 leads to a large change in saturation.

I dunno how close i got.

Original post by SmithytheDrummer
Was it not to do with the fact that a small change in the partial pressure of the oxygen caused a large change in the saturation of the haemoglobin. I've only ever seen this question once, so I'm probably wrong :P

These sound pretty good to me!

Thank you!! :')
Reply 371
Good Luck guys. I did struggle with AQA A-Level Biology so I feel your pain :smile:
Original post by xkate1019x
Do we only need to know 'semi-conservative' replication? because i'm sure there are other types :/

We just need to know semi conservative replication nothing else.:cool:
i am dreading how science works questions, but on every past paper i have done i got As and even full UMS !!( when i converted the raw mark to UMS) not trying to boast or anything, but i lost alot of marks on the papers, if the grade boundaries are that low, were all gonna be fine :wink:
Does anyone have examiners report for the papers..I cant find them anywhere:frown:..It would be much appreciated as Ive done all the papers and now need to go over them with the reports..really nervous about the exam
Reply 375
Original post by Midnight_sun
i am dreading how science works questions, but on every past paper i have done i got As and even full UMS !!( when i converted the raw mark to UMS) not trying to boast or anything, but i lost alot of marks on the papers, if the grade boundaries are that low, were all gonna be fine :wink:

Yeah same, I lost 20 marks in my mock and that was still 140 UMS :O
Reply 376
Can someone please tell me mark they think an A grade will be for the Bio unit2 Specimen paper?
Reply 377
Just going over my b iol2 notes, prefer this to biol1 tbh.
Original post by EffKayy
Just going over my b iol2 notes, prefer this to biol1 tbh.

Same, BIOL1 was so boring cuz it was regurgitating facts about diseases *yawn* This has more interesting concepts as it's broadened.
Reply 379
Can somebody please explain the answer to question 3d) in the Jan 2010 paper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending