Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    28.62%
    NO!
    71.38%

ReputationRep:
    hey, i know i'm interrupting a pretty good Q & A session but (it might have been mentioned somewhere in this thread) if anyone has any predictions about the exam on thursday?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingsmod1)
    wow 95% that my friends is actually genius
    Well....it's my fourth time doing it so I'm not really that proud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    Well....it's my fourth time doing it so I'm not really that proud.
    wat done same papers four times and look at mark scheme 3 times?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therapist_1)
    Thanks for the answers
    Another thing is, what are the main ''to-do's'' when the question say 'evaluate'??
    I usually quote data from the table or graph about the thing I'm asked to evaluate, state a trend (or state that there isn't a trend if that's the case). (e.g. Both chemicals (on their own) slow down growth/are effective; When body mass is X, mean temperature is Y). If I'm comparing the effect of two things use the data given to me to state which is more effective. Or if they are more effective together or apart. Take note of any overlap in data, that usually means the data isn't conclusive.

Sorry if that isn't helpful I'm horrible with evaluation questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_Gallimaufry)
    hey, i know i'm interrupting a pretty good Q & A session but (it might have been mentioned somewhere in this thread) if anyone has any predictions about the exam on thursday?

Thanks
    I have a really big hunch that the 6 marker will be on plants.
    #1 because it hasn't been before.
    #2 because AQA hate my guts and they know i suck at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaimishaParekh)
    I have a really big hunch that the 6 marker will be on plants.
    #1 because it hasn't been before.
    #2 because AQA hate my guts and they know i suck at it.
    Possibly more related to apoplast and symplast pathways i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_Gallimaufry)

Thanks
    I have a feeling that a question on cell cycle and cancer will come very similar to that of Q9 Jan 10.

ReputationRep:
    you can almost guarantee a question on DNA hybridisation, dissociation curves (possibly high altitudes), and the taxonomic groups.

ReputationRep:
    NOP they already come up in 09 very hardd for aqa to repeat similar questions..or they might twist Que..

ReputationRep:
    gone through this thread from page 1 - 26, you guys seem very confident with variation stuff , hardly did i see any one discussing it. Quick one, what do we need to knw about this topic on variation...or any one to go through briefly..many tx

ReputationRep:
    gnna go over the paper by midday...then just read along with chem2

i think the paper tomorrow will be just fine =)

ReputationRep:
    say for example in the upcoming paper, they ask a cheeky question like, outline the features of the symplastic pathway, what you guys write? assume its a two mark question.

ReputationRep:
    Symplast pathway goes through living parts of the cell (cell surface membrance, cytoplasm etc.), this is useful as the cell can control what enters the cell (e.g. nurtrients). However, the symplast pathway does provide more resistance than the apoplast pathway. [2-3 marks]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingsmod1)
    wat done same papers four times and look at mark scheme 3 times?
    No it's my fourth time doing this exam.

ReputationRep:
    Someone said earlier it was 68 for an A! I assure you this is wrong. Normally you need around 65 for FULL UMS 140/140. If you have any doubts go on the AQA UMS calculator here. The highest it has ever been for full UMS is about 73/85. The lowest ever is 64/75.

http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php?id=04

ReputationRep:
    AHahah, 68 for an A? Jan 11 Unit 2 was around 56, I think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    say for example in the upcoming paper, they ask a cheeky question like, outline the features of the symplastic pathway, what you guys write? assume its a two mark question.
    Symplastic pathway is through the living parts of the cells, the cytoplasm. It is much slower than the apoplastic pathway and water moves from cell to the next through plasmodesmata.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NutterFrutter)
    Symplast pathway goes through living parts of the cell (cell surface membrance, cytoplasm etc.), this is useful as the cell can control what enters the cell (e.g. nurtrients). However, the symplast pathway does provide more resistance than the apoplast pathway. [2-3 marks]
    does this mean that the apoplast pathway ( which uses the cell walls ) contains dead material, if that makes any sense ?

also, i thought that the nutrients enter the phloem, not the symplast way

ReputationRep:
    Anyone stressing coz its biol2 tomorrow then chem f322 day after?
    Who's gunna be in the resitting club with me in Jan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    does this mean that the apoplast pathway ( which uses the cell walls ) contains dead material, if that makes any sense ?

also, i thought that the nutrients enter the phloem, not the symplast way
    Yes, the cells walls are non-living (cellulose). The symplast pathway is useful because the living parts of the cell can control what enters the cell.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 14, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.