The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mclovin123
s1? what is this? Are you talking about biol2?

Statistics 1.
Original post by ??????????????????
Statistics 1.

damn man, sorry to hear that :frown:
Lucky you getting to sleep in :frown: Most people here have got S1 in the morning I think?

I really hate that they are both on the same day! I'm so gonna flop one of them :frown:. Stupid Stats. :frown:
Reply 583
Original post by TlanTlan
A species is a group of organisms that can reproduce together to produce fertile offspring. The difficulty in establishing this could result from species being rare and hard to make mate in isolation, and the ethical implications of interfering with the organism to get the DNA sample or what-not.

Taxonomy is the classification of organisms into a hierarchy. The hierarchy simply being large groups containing smaller groups with no overlap, and allowing organisms to be classified by their common ancestor and evolutionary relationship(phylogenetic classification), or grouping into groups of similar phenotypes/characteristics and alleles.

The ethical implications of antibiotic resistance mean that bacteria have gained a selection advantage as a result of their mutated resistance gene, and due to this modern antibiotics may not work on them, and without use of multiple antibiotics can result in strains of bacteria resistant to multiple antiobiotics. This can result in more suffering for patients and animals who are infected with these strains as they cannot be treated as effectively as well as leading them to die in this time.

-Might be extinct, nocturnal.
-Because some countries have different names for the same organisms so a scientific name helps to identify what they are talking about.
-Not sure what you mean? Like testing antibiotics on animals?

Reply 584
Original post by HaimishaParekh
I really hate that they are both on the same day! I'm so gonna flop one of them :frown:. Stupid Stats. :frown:

I have C2 the same daay! And chem 2 the day after :frown:
If Fe2+ is green and haemoglobin contains Fe2+ why is our blood red
Original post by liviaaa

I have the same as you PLUS economics on Friday along with chem 2, I think I win :tongue:
Reply 587
Original post by oHellno
Yeah, the DNA replicates during interphase, that's why the chromosomes appear as the 'X' shape. Originally, it's just one 'strand', one chromatid. After replication, you have two sister chromatids, which are then separated during mitosis.

so why does the number of chromosomes stay the same shouldn't it double during interphase and then return to normal at telophase?
Original post by liviaaa

Oh my! Thank god, Biol2 is my last exam :biggrin: Good luck for yours though!
Original post by mclovin123
s1? what is this? Are you talking about biol2?

Maths, S1 = Statistics
Original post by HaimishaParekh

Got chemistry and economics the day after... D:
Got chemistry and economics the day after... D:

Snap :eek:
Reply 592
omgomgomgomg i'm suddenly very panicked about this exam. has anyone found or made any good summary notes?
anyone got any good notes on the structure and function of arteries, veins, arterioles and venules?
Reply 594
Original post by parallal
Prophase is when the chromosomes coil up/condense and telophase is when they uncoil, so there will still be the same number of chromosomes. But the mass of DNA in telophase will be half that in prophase because at prophase the amount of DNA will have doubled (DNA replication) and after telophase the cell will have already have divided and the mass of DNA would have been halved. 26 chromosomes and 30 mass of DNA will be the "normal" amount.

Because telophase and prophase are apart of mitosis they are involved in diploid cells and because a sperm cell is a haploid cell it will have half the number of chromosomes and therefore half the mass of DNA.

Hope that helps.

I'm a bit confused. I thought at Telophase, the chromosomes have seperated to opposite poles and have formed two new cells with identical genetic material. so how can can it have the same number of choromosomes as prophase and half mass of DNA? :s-smilie:
Original post by lolo-x
omgomgomgomg i'm suddenly very panicked about this exam. has anyone found or made any good summary notes?

me too, so little time to revise after psych!!
Reply 596
I just want to make sure I have the stages of the cell cycle/mitosis right.

Interphase - G1, S, G2, M. DNA replication occurs during S phase. (Also ATP production)
Prophase - Nuclear envelope breaks down. The chromosomes condense/shorten/coil and become visible.
Metapahse - Spindle forms. Chromatids attach to spindle by their centromere and line up at the centre/equator of the cell.
Anaphase - Spindle contracts/shorten and separate the chromatids, pulling them to opposite poles.
Telophase - Nuclear envelope develops, chromosomes uncoils and become invisible again.

Am I missing anything?
(edited 12 years ago)
the song is awful, but if you're finding meiosis hard then this really does help, its the only way i learnt it http://youtu.be/iCL6d0OwKt8
Original post by lolo-x

what do you need help with?
Original post by parallal
I just want to make sure I have the stages of the cell cycle/mitosis right.

Am I missing anything?

sounds textbook to me, good job :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending