Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    28.62%
    NO!
    71.38%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ray of hope :))
    sounds textbook to me, good job
    (Original post by ??????????????????)
    One thing you COULD add is that interphase also has the cell carrying out it's normal functions too. That's at G0.
    Thanks. (:
    Mitosis really messed me up in the last exam. I'm determined to not let it get the better of me this time.

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel stats was on friday and by the look of it i aced that. I have c2 in the morning though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbop)
    I'm doing June 2010 past paper now, it's grim.
    Jan 2011 is horrific.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oHellno)
    Yeah it's a bit weird. But when mitosis starts, each chromosome is made up of two sister chromatids, they're genetically identical. At the end of mitosis, those sister chromatids are pulled apart, they divide at the centromere. It's kind of weird to explain, but if you counted all the 'X's at prophase it's the same as the '|' at telophase.
    So at interphase it replicates, prophase contains the replicated DNA so when Anaphase takes place, it halves?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceGeek3)
    I have the same as you PLUS economics on Friday along with chem 2, I think I win
    Ohhh that's bad! Yes you win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaimishaParekh)
    Oh my! Thank god, Biol2 is my last exam Good luck for yours though!
    Thanks, you too I also have 1 exam after half term!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeIsGood)
    what do you need help with?
    I don't think there's one particular area, although I would say meiosis is the most difficult part for me.
    I am just worrying that I haven't covered everything, and the specification is in a different order to all my notes as we learnt it in a different order so everything seems a bit muddled!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think we'll have questions on circulation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeIsGood)
    So at interphase it replicates, prophase contains the replicated DNA so when Anaphase takes place, it halves?
    Yup It's at anaphase when the two chromatids are pulled apart.

ReputationRep:
    Memorise the images of them too as you will get asked on those most likely.

ReputationRep:
    Show the results of density gradient centrifugation for 3 replications of E.coli beginning with 14N and then transferred to 15N and the opposite way round.

Can someone explain how to do this - i really don't understand 14N and 15N :/ apart from the fact that 14N is lighter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parallal)
    Not the chromosomes, the chromatids have separated.

This is a definition of chromatid: Either of the two strands joined together by a single centromere, formed from the duplication of the chromosome during the early stages of cell division and then separate to become individual chromosome during the late stages of cell division.

So one chromosome forms two chromatids which are separated to form one chromosome so the number of chromosomes is unchanged.

It has half the mass of DNA because the DNA is doubled and shared between the two cells.

I'm sorry if I'm confusing you even further.
    Thank you.
    I think i understand.. i need more practice. I thought i was ok :'( panic!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parallal)
    Does anyone think we'll have questions on circulation?
    yes.

its related to the blood though.

The Left Ventricle and Right Ventricle pump the same volume of blood with each beat of the heart. Explain why this occurs. 2 marks

Answer:
    All blood leaving the right side of the heart returns to the left. (1)
    Internal volume of heart same on both sides (1)

thats the only question that vaguely relates to circulation, someone please confirm this thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oHellno)
    Jan 2011 is horrific.
    Oh yeah I've got that one here, we did it as a mock in class last week. My worst nightmare, transpiration and cell division. I really just can't get into the june paper, even the mark scheme looks like it's from a different paper! I'm abandoning my efforts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbop)
    Oh yeah I've got that one here, we did it as a mock in class last week. My worst nightmare, transpiration and cell division. I really just can't get into the june paper, even the mark scheme looks like it's from a different paper! I'm abandoning my efforts.
    don't give up! I just did June 2010, and if you do it with the mark scheme next to you then its quite a good revision resource, the key thing with these exams is knowing what the question is looking for, thats my problem coz the questions seem quite ambiguous sometimes :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    I got a d last time >__>. But yeah I'm revising properly now last time I actually forgot I had the exam and didn't revise a single minute.
    not much u can revise, just remmber the booj, have a gd exam technique on data and stuff, the rest is really experience and stuff. practice paper etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    yes.

its related to the blood though.

The Left Ventricle and Right Ventricle pump the same volume of blood with each beat of the heart. Explain why this occurs. 2 marks

Answer:
    All blood leaving the right side of the heart returns to the left. (1)
    Internal volume of heart same on both sides (1)

thats the only question that vaguely relates to circulation, someone please confirm this thanks.
    Thanks. There was also a question in the June 2009 paper about circulation (the first question) and in the specimen paper.

They weren't too bad but I hope it doesn't get any more complicated than those kinds of questions though.

ReputationRep:
    jan 11 bio 2 was a disgusting paper lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolo-x)
    don't give up! I just did June 2010, and if you do it with the mark scheme next to you then its quite a good revision resource, the key thing with these exams is knowing what the question is looking for, thats my problem coz the questions seem quite ambiguous sometimes :/
    I'm the same, I waffle and think, yeahh that sounds reasonable. But if you miss out a key word that's your mark gone. I'm doing just that now, going through it with the mark scheme but it's all over the place! Have you seen 5cii and 5di? The answers are shocking! I had to check I was looking at the right mark scheme!

ReputationRep:
    Which of these topics do you guys think will have more questions on?

gas exchange in fish vs gas exchange in insects
    apoplast pathway vs symplastic pathway
    root pressure vs cohesion tension theory
    meiosis vs mitosis
    DNA hybridisation vs immunological comparisons of proteins

Just wanted to know as to what guesses people have for tomorrows paper!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 14, 2018

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.