Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    28.62%
    NO!
    71.38%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeIsGood)
    Hmm that's interesting. Can you give me the paper you got it from please? [just the year] cuz the same thing came up in June 2010
    Jan 09 - but in the 6416 papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_lamb)
    If anyone has done June 2010 could you explain how to do 5dii to me please?!
    I really don't understand how you get 8 for the answer:confused:

(It was the question about how many different types of gamete could be produced from the cell as a result of different combinations of maternal and paternal chromosomes...)
    I think there's an easy way to do it, but I actually labelled each chromosome, so I did 1a, 1b, 2a etc. And then I wrote out every possible combination lol, and you'll see that there are eight.

You could also just do 2^3, but I never seem to remember that lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty54321)
    Out of interest, what UMS did everyone get in Unit 1? Quote me
    I got a C last June and re sat in Jan and got 96

ReputationRep:
    Any guesses on what the 6 marker question at the end might be on? Also, if someone has a copy of the Jan 2011 paper then can you please quote me the link. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oHellno)
    I think there's an easy way to do it, but I actually labelled each chromosome, so I did 1a, 1b, 2a etc. And then I wrote out every possible combination lol, and you'll see that there are eight.

You could also just do 2^3, but I never seem to remember that lol.
    Thankyou soooooo much!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkb230)
    Any guesses on what the 6 marker question at the end might be on? Also, if someone has a copy of the Jan 2011 paper then can you please quote me the link. Thanks
    Fish/Insect gaseous exchange imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maymaymo)
    Hey, I'm not sure how well I can explain this but this is how I taught my friend.
    Imagine this is the DNA, ii (i represents one strand of 14N)

If we move this into 15N, semiconservative replication occurs, so half is the original and made of 14N and the other made of 15N, (15N represented by I)
    So this will occur : Ii and iI
    Again, if we wait for another replication this will happen :
    II, iI, iI, II
    and so on...
    Thank you I think I kind of get it, better than I did before but what would be the third replication? I know there would be 8 possibilities? - How do you work them out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkb230)
    -Tissue Fluid
    -Fish

It's on the first post on the first page of this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spoinkytheduck)
    Silly question (I know) but I need to be sure...

We dont have to learn what MRSA stands for do we?
    Just the example of the whole antibacterial resistance thingy, right?
    I go to school next to Birmingham Uni and they're pretty harsh, so make sure your personal statement is pretty good and you get lots of work experience etc..
    I know that Newscastle looks for a high UKCAT score and Southampton doesn't inteview so they look for high grades and a strong personal statement

ReputationRep:
    has anyone got a good way of explaining the symplastic pathway concisely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaf)
    I've strangely noticed that none of the past papers asked for the pathways or roots in general at all, not a single question.

So I'm going with the odds and not revise that part xD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    -Tissue Fluid
    -Fish

Thank you ! I hope there's a question on Gas exchange in plants/fish/mammals/insects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty54321)
    Out of interest, what UMS did everyone get in Unit 1? Quote me
    Unit 1 - 98 Jan 10
    Unit 2 - 105 Jun 10
    Unit 2 Resit - 128 Jan 11

Good luck guys - My resit helped a lot
    I'm sure anyone else resitting/doing it first time will be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaf)
    Well, I'll try.

The symplast pathway is the path water takes through the cytoplasm. It is slower than the movement of water in the apoplast pathway because of the resistance from organelles in the cytoplasm. Water movement in the apoplast pathway is quicker because there is no resistance seeing as how there are no organelles/nothing else to hinder movement in the cell wall. But there is a Caspian strip in the cell wall which is a strip of an impermeable waxy substance and because it isn't water soluble it forces water out of the apoplast path way and into the symplast pathway (out of the cell wall, into the cytoplasm).

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got mark scheme from Jan 2011 paper?

Earlier mark scheme be useful too,

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jorgeyy)
    Anyone got mark scheme from Jan 2011 paper?

Earlier mark scheme be useful too,

Thanks x
    Nvm i'm stupid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaf)
    Can someone simply explain immunological response as a way of comparing the relationship between species please? :]
    You extract serum from one organism, which contains antigens, then inject it into another organisms blood steam. This organism produces antibodies against the antigens from the first organism, then the serum from the second organism is mixed with the serum from a different organism, and a precipitate is formed. The amount of precipitate formed is directly proportional to the evolutionary relationship between the first organism and third organism.

I like to think of the second organism as a middle man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    -Tissue Fluid
    -Fish

How can you get 6 marks from discussing tissue fluid?!

Fish I could do 10 points straight up...

But I thought tissue fluid might just be 1-2 marks on saying it doesn't contain big molecules e.g. proteins since they can't fit through capillary walls or whatever :s

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone explain simply how independent segregation creates variety (during meiosis)?
    I understand it fully - just really can't explain it!!
    And well done to everyone on their unit 1 scores - can't quote everyone back but hopefully we'll all be on As after this exam tmrw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jorgeyy)
    How can you get 6 marks from discussing tissue fluid?!

Fish I could do 10 points straight up...

But I thought tissue fluid might just be 1-2 marks on saying it doesn't contain big molecules e.g. proteins since they can't fit through capillary walls or whatever :s
    Actually tissue fluid you could long out for 6 marks, discussing why there is a high blood hydrostatic pressure at the arterial end, why it is lower at venous end, overcoming frictional resistance. The water potential gradients, the large proteins that lower the water potential gradient, the excess drainage of tissue fluid returns to the blood at the subclavian vein etc.

Although for the record I don't think it's the 6 marker

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 14, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.