Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    28.62%
    NO!
    71.38%

ReputationRep:
    anyone know the raw mark for a b??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura-Robbie)
    anyone know the raw mark for a b??
    if any1 needs help on bio 2, just pm on me and we can actually chat on skype
    i wanna help all u noob biologists in unit 2 lol

just pm me if u want to leet me kno

High B shuld be around 52-53 marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shopaholic94)
    What does having hollow xylem vessels which die soon after they are made so all the organelles are lost mean?! Why is this useful?!
    If the organelles are lost there is more space for water to flow through the xylem. Plant can increase rate of water uptake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edebsi10)
    june 2010 can anyone tell me how they got 8 gametes for 'different types of gametes could be produced from this cell as a result of
    different combinations of maternal and paternal chromosomes' cell has 6 chromosomes?????? :/
    Its a really ambiguous question. Its about independent segregation, the chromosomes can arrange themselves either side of the equatorial plane so the number of combinations is 2cubed.

EDIT: Didn't realise this had been answered. And I thought it was ambiguous because I considered crossing over and recombination as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edebsi10)
    Is 60 something nearly a 100 ums out of 85?? no wayy
    60 can range from like 110-130 ums

ReputationRep:
    i know all da content for this unit but da paper is a *****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shopaholic94)
    What does having hollow xylem vessels which die soon after they are made so all the organelles are lost mean?! Why is this useful?!
    I thinks its so there is more space for water movement? no nucleus etc i.e. organelles will mean more space for water to travel

ReputationRep:
    Final Q (I think)

How are abdominal movements of insects a adaptation for gas exchange

Simple answer please because if there is a question on insect adaptations, there are loads of other points to talk about. 2marks

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    i actually quite like this unit, much more than the first one.

ReputationRep:
    What about the use of the end walls of the cell in xylm vessels breaking down?!

ReputationRep:
    how can 50 marks be a B?? That's only about 58%!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasira372)
    Final Q (I think)

How are abdominal movements of insects a adaptation for gas exchange

Simple answer please because if there is a question on insect adaptations, there are loads of other points to talk about. 2marks

Thanks in advance
    I think it would allow for mass flow of air into and out of the body. Not sure how i would word it though

ReputationRep:
    oh and also how about ums for a b??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasx)
    Meiosis
    -Involves 2 nuclear divisions.

1. First division/Meiosis 1
    Homologous chromosomes (pair of chromosomes-1 from mother one from father) pair up & their chromatids wrap around each other
    *Crossing over (leads to some genetic variation as alleles are swapped) & *Independent segregation (chromosomes pair up randomly also leads to variation).
    The homologous pairs then separate -one chromosome from each pair goes to one of the 2 daughter cells.

2. Second division/Meiosis 2
    Chromosomes (from 2 daughter cells) split into chromatids into 4 haploid cells (gametes).

Not sure if this is everything.. :/
    Can someone please tell me if this is all we need to know for meiosis? And i would be so so so so SO grateful is someone could please summarise what we have to know for 13.8, 13.9 and 13.10 (basically the plant stuff)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaylaleigh)
    how can 50 marks be a B?? That's only about 58%!
    Grade boundaries are really low for this paper xD its about 62-67% for an A

For the jan 11 paper you needed 64 raw marks for 140 UMS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeejTheone)
    find gradient of the curve of best fit?

(Original post by NewCrack)
    they can draw a line of best fit and find the gradient of that line. I think that sounds right/
    That sounds right, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have any ideas what the long question could be on?

ReputationRep:
    i dont think they are quite that loq, i sat june 2010 for my as year and got 64% which was a c hence why i'm resiting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura-Robbie)
    oh and also how about ums for a b??
    about 98-112

ReputationRep:
    What's the total UMS for this paper? And how many marks do you need to get roughly for that?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.