Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    28.62%
    NO!
    71.38%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmithytheDrummer)
    The bit where they got 565 plant species and mapped 3 genes in order for a more accurate comparisons and a phylogenitic tree can could be constructed.
    That's easy I would love if that came up. LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limitless)
    Thanks. My dad was trying to get me psyched up. Lol.
    Good luck to you too.

Yeah all those things will get you a mark. I hope a question on this does not come back it is the only thing I am weak at.
    It will definitely come, I've researched the past papers and concluded that they all contain tissue fluid in some form.

I'm guessing the six marker will be about haemoglobin and the bohr effect.
    Probably also a question about transpiration in plants.

And as usual the kpcofgs table with questions about comparing amino acids, dna hybridisation and perhaps the rare precipitate questions(which I'm currently reading on).

ReputationRep:
    can anyone explain the: mass of DNA, and mass of cell during the cell cycle graph??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mclovin123)
    no its not. Basicly. Oxygen inters the insect through the spiricles. It then goes through the thecheae, these tracheae run off into smaller pipes called trachioles. These thrachioles literraly just run straght onto cells. They are thin and so oxy then diffuses from them into the cells. If you think about it in a simple way it will make sense. Their is more oxygen outside then in the insect so the H2 will move through these pipes down the concentration gradient, and c02 goes down its concetration gradient from the cells up these pipes and out of the spiricles.
    I know this is unrelated but worms don't have spiracles instead they have a different form of haemoglobin which I found interesting since I assumed them to be of the insect ancestry. So we're related closer to worms than to insects.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, i forgot about the spiracles in insects! :O Woulda forgot to write it in the exam tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan02)
    can anyone explain the: mass of DNA, and mass of cell during the cell cycle graph??
    The mass of a cell steadily rises until it is twice what it was at the start. Then it drops back to the original value because the cell replicated. DNA mass stays the same during first growth but doubles during synthesis phase when DNA is replicated. It then remains at that value until the whole cell divides after which it drops back to the initial value.

ReputationRep:
    -.- it is raining, i have to walk to school in the pouring rain to sit my biology exam for 1hour 45 mins. I will be wet. I am not happy with this. At all. Damn you British weather !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wonderwoman93)
    -.- it is raining, i have to walk to school in the pouring rain to sit my biology exam for 1hour 45 mins. I will be wet. I am not happy with this. At all. Damn you British weather !!!
    I am in exactly the same position, not happy :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wonderwoman93)
    Better to be cool headed than to be hot headed.

ReputationRep:
    Off to school to kinda ish revise. Laters :P

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    how can the index of diversity be used to conserve biodiversity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robert McGeachan)
    how can the index of diversity be used to conserve biodiversity?
    Use it as a measure of severity I assume, if it's low you need to take action by increasing the frequency of species which have a low number of organisms or decreasing the frequency of a species with high numbers, perhaps introducing new species(but I doubt this one).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    Use it as a measure of severity I assume, if it's low you need to take action by increasing the frequency of species which have a low number of organisms or decreasing the frequency of a species with high numbers, perhaps introducing new species(but I doubt this one).
    Yeah I was like that to, oh introduce new species to get the diversity up then I was like wait thats probably one of the worse things you can do....thanks for the help I hope not too many stupid wordy questions come up and its proper biology

ReputationRep:
    Only decrease the frequency of a species with high numbers if it is having a negative impact on the community.

ReputationRep:
    Really scared, NEED a high A to make up for Unit 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heavencanwait_)
    Really scared, NEED a high A to make up for Unit 1
    It's the reverse with me, I got a A in unit 1, but had a d in unit 2.

ReputationRep:
    It's the reverse with me, I got a A in unit 1, but had a d in unit 2.
    Not surprised tbh, past papers are HORRIBLE! But I liked Jan '11, which scares me cause that means I'll prob hate this one >.<

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm out, good luck all!

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone answer these, every single time I define them the marking scheme says otherwise...

61. What is meant by a hierarchy? This I guess is the ordering of species in non overlapping groups.
    62. What is meant by phylogenetic grouping? This is the evolutionary ancestry of species.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 14, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.