Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011 Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    28.62%
    NO!
    71.38%

ReputationRep:
    How did you work out the time for the cell cycle?

I got 774? You had to times the minutes by 3, from what I've seen in questions I've done off the old spec.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThEStArE)
    For the 6 marker at the end, what did we have to say? I know about vertical and horizontal gene transmission, but selection? What did we have to say for that?
    Basically, the bacteria with the advantageous mutation that results in them being resistant to the antibiotic are the ones more likely to survive, and thus more likely to reproduce. This is essentially natural selection - biological traits become more or less common in a population due to the increased chance of survival having those traits - in this case, antibiotic resistance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftylol)
    Err I thought i finished till I found out I missed 2 pages

Btw what did you guys put for the athlete question?
    They have more red blood cells, so more haemologlobin, so can load more oxygen. Oxygen is needed for aerobic respiration during excercise. So more oxygen allows more aerobic respiration in muscles.

ReputationRep:
    Horizontal, vertical gene transmission, natural selection leads to resistant bacteria survivng and further reproducing asexually.

Further expansion of that for 6 marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyDaisy123)
    wahoo i got 55%
    I must have read the graph wrong because I didn't get 9 at 1996 I read it around 9.6, so got a percentage of 45.8%. Ah well that'll teach me for rushing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    How did you work out the time for the cell cycle?

I got 774? You had to times the minutes by 3, from what I've seen in questions I've done off the old spec.
    i swear you have to times the minutes by 4 to get 8 eggs? because 3 divisions makes 7 eggs

ReputationRep:
    Anybody who cares about or values their worry free state of mind leave this thread now, as there will be a lot of conjecture! I am going in five minutes...maybe 6

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    Yay I put large s.area: volume ratio!
    I think i wrote small surface area to volume ratio!!!! i was rushing and wasn't thinking and when i saw the word small eggs it made me write down small AHHH haha only 1 mark, i got the second mark but that's pretty stupid thing to do :P

ReputationRep:
    Horizontal, vertical gene transmission, natural selection leads to resistant bacteria survivng and further reproducing asexually.

Further expansion of that for 6 marks.

ReputationRep:
    Now it's my turn to ask a question
    What did you guys put for the second part of the frog eggs question, about what effect evaporation of water had? I put the concentration of pesticide increased....
    And also, what about the question asking why ten leaves were used in the experiment, measuring water loss in milligrams? For that, I put because the change in mass of one leaf is too small to measure, so ten leaves allows a significant change to be measured.

...or similar words to that effect

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else get 4% for the MRSA thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zimmobug)
    i swear you have to times the minutes by 4 to get 8 eggs? because 3 divisions makes 7 eggs
    No, one forms two

Two forms four

Four forms eight

Times by 3...

ReputationRep:
    I got something like 55.6% (rounded to one d.p.)

Was a good paper overall, I just hated the fact that there was nothing on immunological processes and I spent ages learning all that by heart :P

ReputationRep:
    what did anyone get for the tissue fluid question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Circadian_Rhythm)
    wasn't it an increase from 9 to 14?
    So 56%

ReputationRep:
    I got 1032 minutes. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    No it's 3 in the mark schemes to produce 8 cells.. wait and I'll find the paper/mark scheme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Circadian_Rhythm)
    I've heard 56 echoed by a couple of people on here and after the exam; ****ed that one up moiself

ReputationRep:
    Look at 3bi.

Paper: http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/...W-QP-JAN09.PDF

Markscheme: http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/...W-MS-JAN09.PDF

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reminisce)
    wasn't it an increase from 9 to 14?
    So 56%
    That's what I got

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.