Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    28.62%
    NO!
    71.38%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by failingatm)
    I liked the frog question, it's the ****ing lymphatic system I forgot about and the minutes questions OH and that bloody starch one at the beginning. :facepalm2: Wat was I thinking tbh. Must have lost 20-30 marks on silly mistakes.
    You didn't really have to write much about the lymph system - it said how was it returned to the cicrulatory system, this means back into the blood, so was about water/osmosis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limitless)
    How did people do on the last question?
    i think i did okay
    vertical and horizontal gene transmittion
    conjugation
    mutation..
    selection? of desired alleles - survives?
    Not sure but i wanted to write soemthing about selection as it mentioned it :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beelz)
    But the athletes may have different levels of EPO to other people.
    I also thought of that- i didnt know if the question want normal compared to the population or the normal EPO conc of the individual???

I put measure the conc of EPO at the time of the event (for athelete) then measure the conc of EPO every week after to compare and see if the conc of EPO decreased

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffKayy)
    cell wall was labelled.
    Also starch storage can be in the form of glyocgen in animals (animal starch)
    Oh I must have missed it.

And no strach isn't in humans, glycogen is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    For increased photosynthesis:

-Starch storage - hydrolyses into glucose - which is needed for respiration
    -Flagellum, to move towards the sun light
    -Chloroplasts contain chlorphyll to absorb sunlight
    !!! I wrote about the starch and glucose !!! woo

ReputationRep:
    For increased photosynthesis:

-Starch storage - hydrolyses into glucose - which is needed for respiration
    -Flagellum, to move towards the sun light
    -Chloroplasts contain chlorphyll to absorb sunlight
    photosynthesis isnt respiration though :/ the light detector was purposefully on the diagram so you could use it as an answer :P

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone get stumped on the DNA question with the number of base pairs I probably spent longest on that one I had to draw 2 strands of DNA and everything to get my head around it!

ReputationRep:
    i think i did okay
    vertical and horizontal gene transmittion
    conjugation
    mutation..
    selection? of desired alleles - survives?
    Not sure but i wanted to write soemthing about selection as it mentioned it :L
    Yeh antibiotic kills off non resistant bacteria so resisitant bacteria survive and reproduce.

ReputationRep:
    You didn't really have to write much about the lymph system - it said how was it returned to the cicrulatory system, this means back into the blood, so was about water/osmosis.
    Actually the lymphatic system does ultimately return it to the circulatory system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fletcher94)
    photosynthesis isnt respiration though :/ the light detector was purposefully on the diagram so you could use it as an answer :P
    Oops sorry, I meant to type photosynthesis not respiration!

ReputationRep:
    I only wrote about many chloroplasts, a light sensor and the flagellum for that because it was only 3 marks. Hope it was enough tbh. I thought those tiny dots were the chloroplasts not the riobsomes????
    AFAIK the whole thing was one big chloroplast because the label was pointing to the white space in between the dots. And I'd been reading up before the exam on chloroplast and palisade cell structure, I remember reading that chloroplasts contain ribosomes and their own DNA

You should have got the marks, I think I went overboard with my detail on that question lol

ReputationRep:
    Ermm only a positive correlation, there may be other factors effecting the rate.
    What question was that?

ReputationRep:
    cell wall was labelled.
    Also starch storage can be in the form of glyocgen in animals (animal starch)
    isnt starch the storage in plants and glucose the storage in animals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limitless)
    Yeh antibiotic kills off non resistant bacteria so resisitant bacteria survive and reproduce.
    yess

ReputationRep:
    That was probably one of the more difficult papers, but hopefully I've done well.

Ah, just Chem2 and I'm finished

ReputationRep:
    I liked the frog question, it's the ****ing lymphatic system I forgot about and the minutes questions OH and that bloody starch one at the beginning. :facepalm2: Wat was I thinking tbh. Must have lost 20-30 marks on silly mistakes.
    I think I've lost at least 15 :emo:

I got 55.6% for the other one, though.

(Original post by SittingOnCornflakes)
    Hah, frogs are turning into the bane of my existance.
    They came up in the BIOL4 exam I sat this January too.
    I really dislike biology now. And the worst thing is, is that I was fairly confident that this exam would be ok. Oh how misguided was I.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleo101)
    isnt starch the storage in plants and glucose the storage in animals?
    i dunno
    LOL.
    what were the two things then:
    cell wall and chloroplasts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beelz)
    But the athletes may have different levels of EPO to other people.
    I put that;

They generate antibodies that form will bind with the haemoglobin's. The athlete urinates/ gives blood sample which is mixed with these antibodies. The response is in the form of a precipitate. The more precipitate the more haemoglobin's present.

Don't forget that this Q was directly followed by Antibiotic resistance questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbop)
    Did anyone get stumped on the DNA question with the number of base pairs I probably spent longest on that ne I had to draw 2 strands of DNA and everything to get my head around it!
    Itsaid 148 base pairs(or something like that) so you had to double it to find the number of bases.

Then A pairs with T
    And C pairs with G

So there must be the same number of A and T.
    and C and G for each strand.

ReputationRep:
    Why might synthetic EPO increase blood pressure?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 14, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.