The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sunnybacon
Now it's my turn to ask a question :tongue:
What did you guys put for the second part of the frog eggs question, about what effect evaporation of water had? I put the concentration of pesticide increased....
And also, what about the question asking why ten leaves were used in the experiment, measuring water loss in milligrams? For that, I put because the change in mass of one leaf is too small to measure, so ten leaves allows a significant change to be measured.

...or similar words to that effect :biggrin:

10 leaves means the average is simply a division by 10 of the total. And for the frog thing I basically wrote the same thing as you. Less water=greater concentration of pesticide.
The organism only had one large chloroplast, rather than many
Original post by NutterFrutter
74 in total, C and G went diagonally, the only one you had to work out was A for the top row which was 20.

There was 74...i got 19 for 2 can't rememba which ones not 20 :frown:
Reply 1343
Original post by jbop
Did anyone get stumped on the DNA question with the number of base pairs I probably spent longest on that one I had to draw 2 strands of DNA and everything to get my head around it!

they asked it different to past papers at first i was like :confused: but i think it was 74 pairs - i remember getting 20 and 9 and matching the ans A-T and C-G for complementary fit
Original post by EffKayy
i thought it said 70 ish..?

It did but 2 strands. so 74*2=148

Strand A was 26 26 20 20
Strand B was 19 19 9 9

I think...
Original post by Limitless
It did sorry I'm talking about number of bases.
I got 20 for the bases in the top left corner. What about you?

How can you remember? There were so many questions but i think i got 20 too.
Original post by failingatm
I hope I got the marks :afraid: Yeah I didn't even know what the diagram was tbh. :facepalm2: so failingatm.

Lol, yeah hopefully grade boundaries will be low. :afraid: But it was an easier paper than Jan 11. I feel sick now :colonhash:

I hope so, I thought it was harder than Jan 11 though, and I need 121 UMS for an A overall. I felt fine until I came on TSR >.> I hope we both did okay! :tongue:
I'm going this is just telling me how much of a failure that exam was.

Economics and Chemistry exam here I come....
Original post by nasira372
It did but 2 strands. so 74*2=148

Strand A was 26 26 20 20
Strand B was 19 19 9 9

I think...

Yep got the 19 :wink: can't rememba the others..
Original post by Limitless
No...

Yes...he is right. It was 74 but 2 strands so all the numbers should add to 148
Original post by EffKayy
K.. lol yeah it was good but you can't really say youve definately got an A. kthanksbye :P

apart from the one about more red blood cells, i think i got everything else right, remember the grade boundaries are usually 65% for an A, i got well over that by counting the marks ( potential marks ) , how did it go for you ?
Original post by lolo-x
it said 74 :smile:

74 base pairs... pairs = 2 :P
74 x 2 = 148
Original post by juliewho
I hope so, I thought it was harder than Jan 11 though, and I need 121 UMS for an A overall. I felt fine until I came on TSR >.> I hope we both did okay! :tongue:

How do you know how much you need? Do you know what the ISA grade boundary was? :afraid:

I hope we did m8!
Original post by Catchmeifyoucan
I got 53%

Well it depends on where we reado ff the graph, so its good to know other people got similer results!
Its just a friend of mine did a diffrent methord and got a very small number. (Like 0.05%ballpark)
Strand A: 26 19 9 20
Strand B: 19 26 20 9

It possibly was in a different order but this is the answer.
Original post by Catchmeifyoucan
Yep got the 19 :wink: can't rememba the others..

the bit you just quoted from someoneelse is correct, i did well on that paper mate, i reckon its an A, but as effkay said, lets not get complacent !!
Original post by sablarrr

I really dislike biology now. And the worst thing is, is that I was fairly confident that this exam would be ok. Oh how misguided was I.

Hehe, me too.
I remember last night I was imagining what it would feel like to get full marks...

...well I needn't have bothered, it isn't happening any time soon.
There was 74 base pair as there was 2 you had multilply by 2...so that dude is correct...
Original post by James A
apart from the one about more red blood cells, i think i got everything else right, remember the grade boundaries are usually 65% for an A, i got well over that by counting the marks ( potential marks ) , how did it go for you ?

The red blood cells was good.
I think i messed up on one calculation, the frog question, erm, the DNA base thing cause i didnt realise there were two strands.. woops..
But hopefully i can still get an A? \:
Original post by zimmobug
why did epo decrease blood pressure?

because the increase in red blood cells increases the volume of blood so this increases the blood pressure?

Quick Reply