Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011 Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    28.62%
    NO!
    71.38%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Is it a bird!?)
    Lol somehow I got 3500% for one of the last calculating questions
    dont worry i thought it was % increase so worked out 50% crossed it out and put 200% god knows how i managed A* maths GCSE lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessplease)
    animals also have a cell wall though, just not cellulose
    they don't i'm afraid!

ReputationRep:
    I was stupid enough to say that the increased red blood cell count reduced the water potential causing water to move into blood vessels and this produced pressure...

I completely ignored the pressure produced by the red blood cells themselves or would that just be a roundabout way of saying what I said already?

I left the exam early by 50 minutes or so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A for Andromeda)
    That's what I got, but I think that wrong!

Only realised this after I put my pen down at the end :mad: but the bases are not complimentary on the same strain.

So if there was 26 for 'A' on 'strand A', it would mean the 'T' would be 26, but for 'strand B'. As the two stands slot togther.

Also each stand would need to be 74 long, which strand B isn't...

Probably didn't explain that too well

I dropped so many marks, where I only realised how to do it, immediatly after the exam finished!
    i did the exact same :/

..now my only hope is really low grade boundries :P

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, didn't go too badly - a few calculating ones I wasn't sure about - for the DNA strands where you calculated the number of each base, was it:
    26 19 20 9
    19 26 9 20
    As I was unsure if the rows had to add up to 74 or not
    And what did people get for the percentage increase - I got 155.5%, did other people get similar? I missed out a 2 mark question as I needed to answer the 6 marker, but hopefully if I do okay I'll get a B (aiming for an A, but unlikely) Now just got chemistry tomorrow, then psychology after half term :P

ReputationRep:
    percentage increase : 55.6% for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A for Andromeda)
    That's what I got, but I think that wrong!

Only realised this after I put my pen down at the end :mad: but the bases are not complimentary on the same strain.

So if there was 26 for 'A' on 'strand A', it would mean the 'T' would be 26, but for 'strand B'. As the two stands slot togther.

Also each stand would need to be 74 long, which strand B isn't...

Probably didn't explain that too well

I dropped so many marks, where I only realised how to do it, immediatly after the exam finished!
    chillout people i lost them 2 marks too.
    ITS ONLY 2 MARKS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffKayy)
    chillout people i lost them 2 marks too.
    ITS ONLY 2 MARKS.
    BUT THE MARKS ADD UP m8 :afraid: :afraid:

:puke: :creep: :puke: :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    I was stupid enough to say that the increased red blood cell count reduced the water potential causing water to move into blood vessels and this produced pressure...

I completely ignored the pressure produced by the red blood cells themselves or would that just be a roundabout way of saying what I said already?

I left the exam early by 50 minutes or so...
    For the high blood pressure I put, there were more blood cells which had to be transported per second, so the ventricles contracted more strongly, increasing blood pressure??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Backchatgirl)
    Hmmm, didn't go too badly - a few calculating ones I wasn't sure about - for the DNA strands where you calculated the number of each base, was it:
    26 19 20 9
    19 26 9 20
    As I was unsure if the rows had to add up to 74 or not
    And what did people get for the percentage increase - I got 155.5%, did other people get similar? I missed out a 2 mark question as I needed to answer the 6 marker, but hopefully if I do okay I'll get a B (aiming for an A, but unlikely) Now just got chemistry tomorrow, then psychology after half term :P
    Lol I got the same .. Except percentage increase :/ I know mines wrong though lol & hmm hope for the best.. Got the last of my 5exams of the week & same psyb2? Right...

ReputationRep:
    I'm most uncertain about these questions:

10 Leaves measured in milligram : I put so a mean can be calculated & anomalies can be identified, as well as the mass change in 10 leaves will be more significant.
    The ideas contradict themselves in that for the first 2 i assumed an average was taken as a data on the graph whereas for the last 1 i assumed they are all measured as 1 set.
    So r.i.p for me.

EPO measured per kilogram per week : I put athletes may have different body masses, and have different length of treatment.
    I put they may have different saline uptake as well but that doesn't sound right.
    I put it because it didn't state what the mass it was referring to, body mass? saline? r.i.p

Frog egg being small : I put so they suspend throughout the water and easily come in contact with pesticide, as well as being small, a low concentration of pesticide would have an impact already.
    Second one is definitely wrong, first one, i doubt it.
    I thought of another explanation later on, which is, being small, frog eggs would have a greater surface area to volume ratio, allowing a greater chance of entry of pesticides?

nahhh fk frogs.. they're the worst, like how they were in past papers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolo-x)
    they don't i'm afraid!
    just realised its bacteria that have the murein cell wall, not animals

ReputationRep:
    Why is everyone talking about the calculation? :lolwut:
    Talk about the real stuff!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patchey1000)
    or start stop codes
    couldn't you have a mutation? like addition? :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    For the high blood pressure I put, there were more blood cells which had to be transported per second, so the ventricles contracted more strongly, increasing blood pressure??
    i just put down, greater no. of red blood cell, great volume of blood.
    guys it's a one marker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    I know this is unrelated but worms don't have spiracles instead they have a different form of haemoglobin which I found interesting since I assumed them to be of the insect ancestry. So we're related closer to worms than to insects.
    yeh i know :confused: if i metnioned worms at any point it was a mistake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rocketeeer)
    i just put down, greater no. of red blood cell, great volume of blood.
    guys it's a one marker
    yeah.. i just said if there is more EPO (or whatever it was called) then there is increased red blood cell production so a higher concentration of red blood cells so a higher pressure. it was a bit of a weird one.

ReputationRep:
    i definitely got the DNA strands question but it was only two marks, i'm more worried about the last question, i can't even remember what it was about now but i wrote the completely wrong answer for sure :<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sadii)
    Lol I got the same .. Except percentage increase :/ I know mines wrong though lol & hmm hope for the best.. Got the last of my 5exams of the week & same psyb2? Right...
    Well I put 1.5% then I realised I needed to times it by 100, though it could be wrong altogether. I just hate the questions that require a lot of application - there was one about small eggs and evaporation of pesticides - I said it would diffuse easier as a gas but just made it up. I don't even know what psych paper it is! I know it's got psychodynamic, learning and the biological approach on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rocketeeer)
    percentage increase : 55.6% for me
    I got 55% will i get the marks do you think?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.