The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wick3d
That paper was mostly HSW. Kinda funny how someone who never knew anything on the unit 2 could still obtain a decent grade, just by being able to answer HSW questions.

Oh well, the paper overall wasn't that bad. I'm glad barely anything on plants came up, since it is the most pointless bull**** I've ever learnt.

I love plants. :gah:

And they're not pointless at all, they're producers. They control the frigging food chain!! :p:
Original post by Wick3d
AQA have a pretty good idea on what percentage of students they want to obtain As, they'll fit the grade boundaries around that. :smile:

True... tbh this is why I don't understand how grade inflation is happening. They adjust them accordingly so how does grade inflation work?! :p:
Original post by Wick3d
Yes you had to do 4 hours times 60 to obtain the minutes then add the 18. You got like 258 minutes which you then times by 3. :biggrin:

why 3? Just out of interest.. i got that wrong but i x'ed it by 4. :|

EDIT: FMLL. I did 2 *4 but it was 2*2*2 as there are 3 cycles. Urgh...
What do you think the two marks are for?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kisskoli
some animal cells have cell walls.... its cellulose cell walls that are only in plants?

D: should have put starch storage thingys instead then D:
Original post by JSLCampbell
Yeah I said a few pages back that that's what I did, and it was followed by dismay :L

774 minutes right?

Think it was 774, yep. 3 times whatever each cell cycle was.
I spoke to my biology teacher today about boundries. He worked out an average based on the past papers, and an A worked out at 67%
Original post by EffKayy

Three cell cycles needs to produce 8 cells.
1->2->4->8
Original post by ??????????????????
D: should have put starch storage thingys instead then D:

Cell wall is DEFINITELY right on the basis of just A Levels...
Original post by ??????????????????
Three cell cycles needs to produce 8 cells.
1->2->4->8

I know i just realised
what do you think the 1mark for working will be for?
Original post by EffKayy

To go from 1 cell to 8 takes 3 divisions.

C
v
C C
v
C C C C
v
C C C C C C C C

With v represented each division (1 cell cycle) and C represented number of cells. Each cells divides at the same time remember.
I hate comming on here after exams -_-

Well I got 2048 minutes for that cell division question stupidly; It said for one cell to produce 8 so I didn't know weather to do it as if each cell it makes also divides or for that cell to replicate 8 times to make 8 new cells entirely if you see what i mean, I think they could have worded it better :'( still, it was 2 marks so hopefully one of those was for converting 4 hours into minutes D: totally did not write about SA:V for frogs eggs either, I put that becuase they are small even a weak concentration of pesticides could affect them. Didn't even mention diffusion like a tool. AND for the athlete question I forgot to put aerobic before respiration so thats probably a mark lost!

Now i must tear myself off of here to revise for chemistry tomorrow!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1611
was it silly to have written than evap of water means all the water evap from the pools in which the eggs were layed. so they had no water left around them..
I think it was more to do with it increasing the concentration of pesticides more than anything.
Original post by JSLCampbell
To go from 1 cell to 8 takes 3 divisions.

C
v
C C
v
C C C C
v
C C C C C C C C

With v represented each division (1 cell cycle) and C represented number of cells. Each cells divides at the same time remember.

Yes.. LOL
i figured.
What do you think they will give 1 mark for??
The HSW questions on this paper were actually quite tricky and there were more than the usual amount which I was not pleased with. ¬¬
Original post by salad_fingers
Argh i hate comming on here after exams :P

Well I got 2048 minutes for that cell division question stupidly; It said for one cell to produce 8 so I didn't know weather to do it as if each cell it makes also divides or for that cell to replicate 8 times to make 8 new cells entirely :'( still, it was 2 marks so hopefully one of those was for converting 4 hours into minutes D: totally did not write about SA:V for frogs eggs either, I put that becuase they are small even a weak concentration of pesticides could affect them. Didn't even mention diffusion like a tool.

Now i must tear myself off of here to revise for chemistry tomorrow!

I totally forgot about SA:V ratio until someone reminded me after the exam
:frown:
It will be around 58 for an A so don't worry.
Original post by Kisskoli
was it silly to have written than evap of water means all the water evap from the pools in which the eggs were layed. so they had no water left around them..

I put that evaporation of water would mean less water in the pool therefore the relative concentration of pesticide would be higher. Who knows though, it was a stupid question :wink:
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Dude, how'd you find it? :smile:

I'm not too sure really.. I thought it was horrible at first then I didn't think it was too bad lol, I hope I'm right in thinking that I've only lost 20 marks maximum but knowing me it's more like 30 and I'll get a B again ):
How bout you?
Original post by EffKayy

EDIT: FMLL. I did 2 *4 but it was 2*2*2 as there are 3 cycles. Urgh...
What do you think the two marks are for?

1 mark for correct working out, 1 work for correct answer. Or it might be 2 marks for correct answer. But it does always state to show your working out. :smile:
Reply 1619
was the answer to the frog egg question that there is a higher concentration of pesticides in the water due to there being less water, which affects the frog eggs more? i really had no time left for that questions as i left it out.

was the cell cycle question SPECIFICALLY stating to give answer in minutes?

what were the marks for the EPO 4 marker?
i wrote:
more red blood cells
more haemoglobin
can carry more O2
more atp production in the muscle
can be used for muscle contraction
no need for anaerobic respiration as there is always enough oxygen to undertake aerobic respiration.

excuse my grammar and language, english isnt my mother tongue~ :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest