Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    28.62%
    NO!
    71.38%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simey)
    Genetiv diversity = Differences in DNA!

I was really happy with the exam! hopefully i havent made any stupid mistakes!
    A couple of iffy HSW? Q's and the last Q' for 6 marks was relly sneaky! other then that it was quite straight forward.

Yeah there were some really dodgy HSW questions, there always is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThEStArE)
    Returned in 3 ways:

1. Osmosis directly back into the capillaries, since there is a lower water potential in the capillaries created by proteins in theblood

2. hydrostatic pressure from the tissue fluid on the capillaries at the venule end and because the capillaries have lost their tissue fluid already, this decreases in the capillary so tissue fluid is forced back in

3. lymphatic system
    Surely the fact that the water left the capillaries also lowers their water potential. I never understood why that wasn't mentioned?

ReputationRep:
    That paper was mostly HSW. Kinda funny how someone who never knew anything on the unit 2 could still obtain a decent grade, just by being able to answer HSW questions.

Oh well, the paper overall wasn't that bad. I'm glad barely anything on plants came up, since it is the most pointless bull**** I've ever learnt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unbiased Opinion)
    Lololol this paper was hilarious. It should be renamed "questions asking the same thing over and over again without any reference to the hard things you have spent the millions of hours revising". :ahee:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I can totally see why AQA focus on HSW because it's a more important skill to have than being able to regurgitate info... I just suck at HSW. :nothing:

I reckon grade boundaries will be low, June 2010 didn't have as much HSW as this paper.
    What was the boundary for June 2010? What do you predict this one will be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by britash)
    Yes. Very very creepy. It was the beating of the heart that made me feel a little.. ill :P
    It didn't help me with my revision one bit though x
    Same and Same!!

We actually watched it twice lmao! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kisskoli)
    didnt the cell cycle question ask for the answer to be in minutes? i converted the hours to minutes.... anybody else do this?
    Yes you had to do 4 hours times 60 to obtain the minutes then add the 18. You got like 258 minutes which you then times by 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan02)
    i did the exact same :/

..now my only hope is really low grade boundries :P
    So obvious once it clicks!

I hate comparing answers after exams lately, because I seem to only ever end up finding that I've done simple things wrong or miss read the question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSLCampbell)
    What was the boundary for June 2010? What do you predict this one will be?
    59/85 for an A in June.

I'm not making predictions, not even AQA know how the country has done! :p: I just think/hope they'll be a tad lower than last years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foldingstars45)
    ooops sorry, thought you talked about a different Q but flagellum is wrong (sperm) you should have written chloroplasts and cell wall.
    some animal cells have cell walls.... its cellulose cell walls that are only in plants?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffKayy)
    chillout people i lost them 2 marks too.
    ITS ONLY 2 MARKS.
    Yeah, but 2+2+2+...+2 = unpleasent surprise on results day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unbiased Opinion)
    59/85 for an A in June.

I'm not making predictions, not even AQA know how the country has done! :p: I just think/hope they'll be a tad lower than last years.
    AQA have a pretty good idea on what percentage of students they want to obtain As, they'll fit the grade boundaries around that.

ReputationRep:
    didnt the cell cycle question ask for the answer to be in minutes? i converted the hours to minutes.... anybody else do this?
    Yeah I said a few pages back that that's what I did, and it was followed by dismay :L

774 minutes right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wick3d)
    That paper was mostly HSW. Kinda funny how someone who never knew anything on the unit 2 could still obtain a decent grade, just by being able to answer HSW questions.

Oh well, the paper overall wasn't that bad. I'm glad barely anything on plants came up, since it is the most pointless bull**** I've ever learnt.
    I love plants. :gah:

And they're not pointless at all, they're producers. They control the frigging food chain!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    AQA have a pretty good idea on what percentage of students they want to obtain As, they'll fit the grade boundaries around that.
    True... tbh this is why I don't understand how grade inflation is happening. They adjust them accordingly so how does grade inflation work?! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yes you had to do 4 hours times 60 to obtain the minutes then add the 18. You got like 258 minutes which you then times by 3.
    why 3? Just out of interest.. i got that wrong but i x'ed it by 4. :|

EDIT: FMLL. I did 2 *4 but it was 2*2*2 as there are 3 cycles. Urgh...
    What do you think the two marks are for?

ReputationRep:
    some animal cells have cell walls.... its cellulose cell walls that are only in plants?
    D: should have put starch storage thingys instead then D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSLCampbell)
    Yeah I said a few pages back that that's what I did, and it was followed by dismay :L

774 minutes right?
    Think it was 774, yep. 3 times whatever each cell cycle was.

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to my biology teacher today about boundries. He worked out an average based on the past papers, and an A worked out at 67%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffKayy)
    why 3? Just out of interest.. i got that wrong but i x'ed it by 4. :|
    Three cell cycles needs to produce 8 cells.
    1->2->4->8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ??????????????????)
    D: should have put starch storage thingys instead then D:
    Cell wall is DEFINITELY right on the basis of just A Levels...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 14, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.