Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    28.62%
    NO!
    71.38%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ??????????????????)
    Three cell cycles needs to produce 8 cells.
    1->2->4->8
    I know i just realised
    what do you think the 1mark for working will be for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffKayy)
    why 3? Just out of interest.. i got that wrong but i x'ed it by 4. :|
    To go from 1 cell to 8 takes 3 divisions.

C
    v
    C C
    v
    C C C C
    v
    C C C C C C C C

With v represented each division (1 cell cycle) and C represented number of cells. Each cells divides at the same time remember.

ReputationRep:
    I hate comming on here after exams -_-

Well I got 2048 minutes for that cell division question stupidly; It said for one cell to produce 8 so I didn't know weather to do it as if each cell it makes also divides or for that cell to replicate 8 times to make 8 new cells entirely if you see what i mean, I think they could have worded it better :'( still, it was 2 marks so hopefully one of those was for converting 4 hours into minutes D: totally did not write about SA:V for frogs eggs either, I put that becuase they are small even a weak concentration of pesticides could affect them. Didn't even mention diffusion like a tool. AND for the athlete question I forgot to put aerobic before respiration so thats probably a mark lost!

Now i must tear myself off of here to revise for chemistry tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    was it silly to have written than evap of water means all the water evap from the pools in which the eggs were layed. so they had no water left around them..

ReputationRep:
    I think it was more to do with it increasing the concentration of pesticides more than anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSLCampbell)
    To go from 1 cell to 8 takes 3 divisions.

C
    v
    C C
    v
    C C C C
    v
    C C C C C C C C

With v represented each division (1 cell cycle) and C represented number of cells. Each cells divides at the same time remember.
    Yes.. LOL
    i figured.
    What do you think they will give 1 mark for??

ReputationRep:
    The HSW questions on this paper were actually quite tricky and there were more than the usual amount which I was not pleased with. ¬¬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salad_fingers)
    Argh i hate comming on here after exams :P

Well I got 2048 minutes for that cell division question stupidly; It said for one cell to produce 8 so I didn't know weather to do it as if each cell it makes also divides or for that cell to replicate 8 times to make 8 new cells entirely :'( still, it was 2 marks so hopefully one of those was for converting 4 hours into minutes D: totally did not write about SA:V for frogs eggs either, I put that becuase they are small even a weak concentration of pesticides could affect them. Didn't even mention diffusion like a tool.

Now i must tear myself off of here to revise for chemistry tomorrow!
    I totally forgot about SA:V ratio until someone reminded me after the exam

It will be around 58 for an A so don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kisskoli)
    was it silly to have written than evap of water means all the water evap from the pools in which the eggs were layed. so they had no water left around them..

I put that evaporation of water would mean less water in the pool therefore the relative concentration of pesticide would be higher. Who knows though, it was a stupid question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unbiased Opinion)
    Dude, how'd you find it?
    I'm not too sure really.. I thought it was horrible at first then I didn't think it was too bad lol, I hope I'm right in thinking that I've only lost 20 marks maximum but knowing me it's more like 30 and I'll get a B again ):
    How bout you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffKayy)
    why 3? Just out of interest.. i got that wrong but i x'ed it by 4. :|

EDIT: FMLL. I did 2 *4 but it was 2*2*2 as there are 3 cycles. Urgh...
    What do you think the two marks are for?
    1 mark for correct working out, 1 work for correct answer. Or it might be 2 marks for correct answer. But it does always state to show your working out.

ReputationRep:
    was the answer to the frog egg question that there is a higher concentration of pesticides in the water due to there being less water, which affects the frog eggs more? i really had no time left for that questions as i left it out.

was the cell cycle question SPECIFICALLY stating to give answer in minutes?

what were the marks for the EPO 4 marker?
    i wrote:
    more red blood cells
    more haemoglobin
    can carry more O2
    more atp production in the muscle
    can be used for muscle contraction
    no need for anaerobic respiration as there is always enough oxygen to undertake aerobic respiration.

excuse my grammar and language, english isnt my mother tongue~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kisskoli)
    lol i dont think thats what is going to be written in the mark scheme. i thought it would be that the pesticide will be more concentrated in the water after it evaporates. because same amount of pesticide in less volume of water ==> more conc. i dunno if thats correct tho. i talked some rubbish about more concentrated will therefore draw water out by osmosis. but thank god aqa dont do negative marking

ReputationRep:
    I think the grade boundaries will be higher this year. I don't know why though, I'm just making a guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wick3d)
    1 mark for correct working out, 1 work for correct answer. Or it might be 2 marks for correct answer. But it does always state to show your working out.

Pretty sure it's always 2 for correct answer with or without working (think that was in the Jan 10 mark scheme too), however for a wrong answer, the working can get you 1 mark, which is why they say to do it; cos we all know how much people tend to **** up at maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReMos)
    was the answer to the frog egg question that there is a higher concentration of pesticides in the water due to there being less water, which affects the frog eggs more? i really had no time left for that questions as i left it out.

was the cell cycle question SPECIFICALLY stating to give answer in minutes?
    Sorry to say it, but yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSLCampbell)
    Pretty sure it's always 2 for correct answer (think that was in the Jan 10 mark scheme too), however for a wrong answer, the working can get you 1 mark.
    That's what I was thinking, but my put the emphasis on showing correct working out? You never know to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    No animal cells have cell walls btw, just to clear that up.

And, what did you guys put for the athlethe question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heavencanwait_)
    I'm not too sure really.. I thought it was horrible at first then I didn't think it was too bad lol, I hope I'm right in thinking that I've only lost 20 marks maximum but knowing me it's more like 30 and I'll get a B again ):
    How bout you?
    Losing 30 marks will either get you a high B or low A so it's all good.

Same, I dont know... I know I've lost at least 6 marks and that's just from what I've gone through but meh, at least it's done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftylol)
    No animal cells have cell walls btw, just to clear that up.

And, what did you guys put for the athlethe question?
    Animals never had cell walls, we've covered that in Unit 1. Who said they have cell walls?! :eek:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 14, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.