Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011 Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    28.62%
    NO!
    71.38%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M | k e)
    Oh gah that one I just wrote alotttt of different stuff haha.

Went for some stomata covered by grease so water will take longer to diffuse out, also said the actual thickness of the leaf will be increased, increasing diffusion pathway so water loss is reduced through the leaf. And put less light will be able to be absorbed (no idea if this is true :P) so less photosynthesis will be taking place, hence less exchange gases required and stomata can close. And about water potential.

Was a "**** it go for a mark " question .
    wow !!! LOOL I didn't think of all that
    I hope water potential scores me the marks too =(

ReputationRep:
    No, it doubles each time:

1 cell splits, so 2 cells produced. These 2 cells split, so 4 cells produced. These 4 cells split, so 8 cells produced.

3 cycles required for all that .
    Yeah, i got that, its something like 1032 minutes i got.

What did all of you think of the 6 marker at the end? I didn't think it was that hard for a question. The only questions i didn't understand much were the "why use 10 leaves" one, and how you could get 3 points for the question on tissue fluid being put back into the bloodstream again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ??????????????????)
    Is that the fat controller from Thomas the Tank Engine or the Monopoly man?
    Oh you fool, can you not see. IT WAS ALL SO OBVIOUS. THE FAT CONTROLLER IS THE MONOPOLY MAN!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim Lee)

What did all of you think of the 6 marker at the end? I didn't think it was that hard for a question. The only questions i didn't understand much were the "why use 10 leaves" one, and how you could get 3 points for the question on tissue fluid being put back into the bloodstream again.
    For minutes it was 774.

For the six marker, I wrote
    Resistant bacteria survive
    Higher proportion of resistant bacteria
    Can transmit vertically through binary fission
    Can transmit horizontally using conjugation tunnels (should have said tubes but do I get a mark for tunnels? :O)
    Dead resistant bacteria still transmit vertically.

For 10 leaves I said increase the sample size to make it more reliable as you can identify outliers.
    Lower water potential in blood due to large proteins lowering it.
    Tissue fluid re-enters the blood
    Excess tissue fluid enters the lymphatic vessels and rejoins circulatory system later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChessMister)
    Oh you fool, can you not see. IT WAS ALL SO OBVIOUS. THE FAT CONTROLLER IS THE MONOPOLY MAN!

THEN WHO IS THE PRINGLES GUY!?!?!?
    Madness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim Lee)

Should of got 258x3 = 774 minutes if I remember. 1032 is 4x the cycle length :3.

Tissue fluid I said: Hydrostatic pressure of tissue fluid > pressure in capillary at venous end, so tissue fluid forced back into blood vessel. And large proteins present in plasma, but not tissue fluid, so lower water potential, so water enters via osmosis. And finally the "used" tissue fluid passes down the lymphatic system, where it rejoins the circulatory system at 2 nodes near the heart.

6 marker I went for: Horizontal gene transmission (conjugation), Vertical gene transmission (binary fission), and selection being that using antibiotics kills off the non-resistant bacteria, reducing competition for resistant strain, increases their likelihood of surviving and reproducing. All clones will now contain the resistant gene, increasing their numbers etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ??????????????????)
    THEN WHO IS THE PRINGLES GUY!?!?!?
    Madness.
    don't be ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    for the tissue fluid going back into the circulatory system i mentioned diffusion, hydrostatic pressure and Lymphatic system all expanded of course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davis053)
    for the tissue fluid going back into the circulatory system i mentioned diffusion, hydrostatic pressure and Lymphatic system all expanded of course
    Diffusion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReMos)
    introns, stop/start codons, some amino acids require more than one triplet, minisatelites, everything really
    how about stop start bases?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davis053)
    how many marks was that question? 3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnight_sun)
    how many marks was that question? 3?
    yeah it was 3, I didn't mention diffusion but osmosis instead?

ReputationRep:
    Frogs eggs; discuss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnight_sun)
    how about stop start bases?
    Never heard them called that, I'd guess you'd have to put start & stop codons, or introns.

Whoever put minisatellites, aren't they like unit 5 biology lol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jorgeyy)
    Frogs eggs; discuss.
    what was up with that question?! I didn't have a clue about the whole frogs has small eggs thing... messed it up :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jorgeyy)
    Frogs eggs; discuss.
    Frogs eggs = small, this means large SA:Vol ratio. So the pesticide chemicals can diffuse into the eggs and have the negative effects.

Evaporation one I went for: More water loss from eggs as water evaporates, so they bring in more water via osmosis, the water is polluted, so speeds up the process.

ReputationRep:
    Frogs eggs = small, this means large SA:Vol ratio. So the pesticide chemicals can diffuse into the eggs and have the negative effects.

Evaporation one I went for: More water loss from eggs as water evaporates, so they bring in more water via osmosis, the water is polluted, so speeds up the process.
    yeah... I definitely messed up there :/

ReputationRep:
    Hey what did people put as the % increase? I am not sure if it was 62% or 55.55%?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnookerLoopy)
    Hey what did people put as the % increase? I am not sure if it was 62% or 55.55%?
    I got 55.6 %

ReputationRep:
    Whats with all these goddam frogs coming up in these papers???

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.