The Student Room Group

Salters Chemistry F335- June Exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Legit
Yh, i thought it was pretty crap too. Ive never used it and ive scored quiet well.

Unit Mark
1 88/90
2 127/90
3 55/60
6 88/90

127/90? loool :wink:

Original post by ManPowa
Can I ask what books do you guys use then? I mean do you just read out of a book and do a couple of past papers or do you make notes, and constantly read them? :smile:

I use the revision guide and answer all the questions in the revision guide NOT the CGP one, the actual salters one... If i dont understand the concepts that well I go to the chemical ideas book. but thats only got me borderline A/B grades
Reply 41
Does anyone know what an alkaline solution of phenol is?
Reply 42
Original post by ManPowa
Does anyone know what an alkaline solution of phenol is?

Consider the definition of an alkali; a soluble base, or therefore a proton acceptor.
Phenol contains an alcohol group, which can be deprotonated, but only under strong alkaline conditions.
I would therefore surmise that an alkaline solution of phenol contains phenoxide ions; the phenol with the H on the OH removed, with the cation of the alkali being attracted to the phenoxide's -ve charge.

http://www.lookchem.com/300w/2010/079/3229-70-7.jpg
Reply 43
Does anyone have their CGP book? If you have, then please look at page 92 - colour and the diagram in the middle of the page. I think there's a mistake with electrons in the orbitals. Shouldn't there be 8 arrows in the 3d orbitals ( Ni - (Ar) 3D8, 4S2) and thus when ligands come into effect, split into two different energy levels and so the orbitals go in to 3 and 2 with 6 electrons in the three orbaits and and two electrons in the individual 2 orbitals. ??

There was an exact question in the F335 Jan 2011 paper and it may come up again and i dont want to be confused and get it wrong.
Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Reply 44
Original post by ManPowa
Does anyone have their CGP book? If you have, then please look at page 92 - colour and the diagram in the middle of the page. I think there's a mistake with electrons in the orbitals. Shouldn't there be 8 arrows in the 3d orbitals ( Ni - (Ar) 3D8, 4S2) and thus when ligands come into effect, split into two different energy levels and so the orbitals go in to 3 and 2 with 6 electrons in the three orbaits and and two electrons in the individual 2 orbitals. ??

There was an exact question in the F335 Jan 2011 paper and it may come up again and i dont want to be confused and get it wrong.
Thanks in advance :biggrin:

It should be, yes...:s-smilie:
Reply 45
I got a question, is anyone honestly bothering to learn ALL those chemical reactions for Unit 5? I mean seriously... time could be spent improving on what you know/doing exam papers instead of learning all the reagents and conditions for each bloody reaction since AS?

I didn't learn them for January F334, and only lost a 2 marker.
Reply 46
Original post by ManPowa
And i think you need an E to get an A overall lol. So basically, you need to fail to pass. Haha but i doubt that, you'll get your usual grade :biggrin:

I got a C in F334 this January, I have no idea what happened lol.

Original post by ManPowa
Can I ask what books do you guys use then? I mean do you just read out of a book and do a couple of past papers or do you make notes, and constantly read them? :smile:

I never make notes, never have and never will. I just used the CGP book and did all the past papers. I like chemistry, it works for me - maybe thats why. I dunno.
Reply 47
Original post by Legit
I got a question, is anyone honestly bothering to learn ALL those chemical reactions for Unit 5? I mean seriously... time could be spent improving on what you know/doing exam papers instead of learning all the reagents and conditions for each bloody reaction since AS?

I didn't learn them for January F334, and only lost a 2 marker.

The typical answer is that you need to know them all. A more realistic answer is that you need to mostly know all the arena reactions, and all the reactions involving oxidation of alcohols carboxylic acids esters and amides.

Some are very rarely asked. Such as the dehydration of alcohols and hydration of alkenes. That said they can all come up but the most likely ones to come up are the reactions of arenes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by limetang
The typical answer is that you need to know them all. A more realistic answer is that you need to mostly know all the arena reactions, and all the reactions involving oxidation of alcohols carboxylic acids esters and amides.

Some are very rarely asked. Such as the dehydration of alcohols and hydration of alkenes. That said they can all come up but the most likely ones to come up are the reactions of arenes.

OCR are bellends, even real chemists don't need to memorise them; they have the CGP book infront of them.

Its pointless, I guess I will learn the v. important ones (i.e. Sulfonation/Nitration/Alcohol stuff etc), but Im totally skipping out all the pointless Alkane/Alkene ones.
Reply 49
Original post by Legit
OCR are bellends, even real chemists don't need to memorise them; they have the CGP book infront of them.

Its pointless, I guess I will learn the v. important ones (i.e. Sulfonation/Nitration/Alcohol stuff etc), but Im totally skipping out all the pointless Alkane/Alkene ones.

True. I think the most annoying thing in the exam papers is. You can understand something perfectly, but you need to tick off all their boxes on the mark scheme to get full marks. They don't have to be in a coherent order (for most questions) they just have to be there, which shows absolutely no understanding of the subject matter. For exams it is mostly memorisation IMO. (which is why I like maths exams, easy because it's all pretty much conceptual so not much revision needed)
Reply 50
Original post by tkoki1993
127/90? loool :wink:

I use the revision guide and answer all the questions in the revision guide NOT the CGP one, the actual salters one... If i dont understand the concepts that well I go to the chemical ideas book. but thats only got me borderline A/B grades

Lol :wink:
Reply 51
Does anyone know where I can find the June and January 2009 past papers? They don't seem to be on the Ocr website...
Reply 52
Original post by Hannah931
Does anyone know where I can find the June and January 2009 past papers? They don't seem to be on the Ocr website...

The first F335 exam was sat in June 2010. Or are you looking for the legacy spec?
Reply 53
Still haven't used storylines yet, lols. May start today? :biggrin:
Reply 54
Original post by Ro27

HAHA good luck with that. But it is all unapparent information. Its just extra information to confuse you.
Dont you think this course, OCR SALTERS B is the hardest out of all the specs ive seen? Like the individual investigation completely broke me up and it wasn't worth the bluddy effort of what i put in. How was the individual investigation for you guys?
Reply 55
Original post by ManPowa
The first F335 exam was sat in June 2010. Or are you looking for the legacy spec?

Ahh that would be why I can't find them then :P Thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by ManPowa
HAHA good luck with that. But it is all unapparent information. Its just extra information to confuse you.
Dont you think this course, OCR SALTERS B is the hardest out of all the specs ive seen? Like the individual investigation completely broke me up and it wasn't worth the bluddy effort of what i put in. How was the individual investigation for you guys?

Some bits of the spec are ONLY in storylines soo I'm only using it for those specific bits!!!
I know!!!!!!! After all my effort I only got 37 raw I was like, whoah wtf!
Grade boundaries better be low this year,
Also is it me or are legacy papers a lot easier than the new specification ones?!
Reply 57
Original post by Ro27
Some bits of the spec are ONLY in storylines soo I'm only using it for those specific bits!!!
I know!!!!!!! After all my effort I only got 37 raw I was like, whoah wtf!
Grade boundaries better be low this year,
Also is it me or are legacy papers a lot easier than the new specification ones?!

F336?
37 raw marks out of 45 is 82%...or an A...:confused:
Reply 58
Original post by Legit
I got a C in F334 this January, I have no idea what happened lol.

I never make notes, never have and never will. I just used the CGP book and did all the past papers. I like chemistry, it works for me - maybe thats why. I dunno.

same...i only used my CGP revision book and also a F214 unit guide for my Jan exam. however i got a C, and 6 UMS marks off a B. And I think the chemical ideas textbook is very confusing and quite complicated to understand. But do u think it will get me a B for this paper if I just read the CGP and unit guide book ? Also I have done about15 past papers so far.. However i think the exam is getting harder and harder every year compare to the exam paper in 2005 :s-smilie:
Reply 59
Original post by Ro27

I think the storylines are pretty useless..........:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest