Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For Paper 2 statistics portions do you follow just the FM syllabus or do you go through sums from S1 and S2 as well, as the 'knowledge of S1 and S2 is assumed and harder questions may be set from these papers'. I never saw any questions from S1 and S2 being given in past papers :confused:. Yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gunmetalpanda)
    For Paper 2 statistics portions do you follow just the FM syllabus or do you go through sums from S1 and S2 as well, as the 'knowledge of S1 and S2 is assumed and harder questions may be set from these papers'. I never saw any questions from S1 and S2 being given in past papers :confused:. Yet.
    I did the FM A Level from CIE. I used a book, with 2 dice on it. S1 and S2 knowledge is what you should have before you embark on learning the material for the FM syllabus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieGhoul)
    I did the FM A Level from CIE. I used a book, with 2 dice on it. S1 and S2 knowledge is what you should have before you embark on learning the material for the FM syllabus
    Yah but questions don't actually come from there do they? I know the S1 and S2 things but do actual questions from those chapters come or is it only the FM extensions that are relevant?

ReputationRep:
    No questions from S1 or S2 will come out

ReputationRep:
    No questions from S1 or S2 will come out
    I'm sorry but do you mean that questions will not come from S1 and S2?

'No, questions from S1 or S2 will come out ' or 'No questions from S1 or S2 will come out'

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing CIE A level mathematics and will do CIE FM in coming next months. What I know is that they ask you the questions of S1 and S2 as parts of the 'main' questions.

ReputationRep:
    Its like for FM Paper 1 you need to know Paper 3 stuff ? Its like that. You need the preknowledge. It may form a small part in a question. They wont come as the main questions. They may just give you a Poisson distribution then ask you for the approximation thingys for that. Or the Normal approxiamtion to the Binomial.

ReputationRep:
    Yah by J. Crawshaw and J. Chambers? Did you go through all the parts of the book?

And did you do hyperbolic functions for Paper 1? It's not included in the curriculam but do questions involving cosh (theta) etc. come?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gunmetalpanda)
    Yah by J. Crawshaw and J. Chambers? Did you go through all the parts of the book?

And did you do hyperbolic functions for Paper 1? It's not included in the curriculam but do questions involving cosh (theta) etc. come?
    No. Hyperbolic functions are not in the syllabus. Nothing of it comes out. Another thing that does not come out is Macalaurin series and Taylor Series.

And yes the Crawshaw book. Correct. However, if I'm correct, it doesnt cover much on hypothesis testing with LSR. And a few other things. Just check out the syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    is it easy to get an A* in CIE FM? going to do it in the coming months

ReputationRep:
    I missed out on A* by 1 UMS. So no, I doubt its hard

I gave my further math (paper 1) exam today. Considering the difficulty of the exam, I think the threshold for A is gonna be something around 75. I am still not sure how much raw score I need to get an A* . Can anyone with first hand experience experience help me?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.