Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did you live through the Thatcher years? watch

ReputationRep:
    I supect that many people here were not alive, or were not unemployed and looking for work during the Thatcher years. They have not lived through that very desparate time from the early 1980s onwards which produced bands like The Smiths whose lyrics of hopelessness, despair, depression and angst came out of Thatcher's Britain. They have not been affected by those times. Let me say this to you: had you been, you'd would wish you never were.

Many people on TSR have no idea what that was like, and this is why many Tory followers on here (mainly of a young-ish age) are quite willing to tread on the fingers of those who are now or have been facing these cuts and facing unemployment and job insecurity.

Many people who gained employment during the Blair years when jobs seemed to have gushed forth like a fountain, and everyone seemed to be busy with their working lives, many people who had lived through those earlier Thatcher years as a young man or young woman are still affected even today, perhaps even for the rest of their lives.

I speak not only from my own personal experience but also of those of my friends who went through that time with me. Over, well-over, half of my friends who lived through that time still don't have jobs now, or have found it difficult to get work. They picked up somewhat under the Blair years, but overall their lives were affected by the previous Thatcher years (not discounting the following John Major years).

People really should have more empathy and compassion with people.

ReputationRep:
    Well I can't remember it, but I didn't live under General Franco either, yet I can still imagine what it must have been like. I can deeply appreciate just how difficult those years must have been for the working classes living under that evil bint. You're right, people do need to be more empathic and compassionate.

JFTR: I hate Morrissey. The 80s were just crap all around

(Yes, TSR Tories, I know my post makes your blood boil. The truth hurts. Neg away).

ReputationRep:
    I was at university during the Thatcher years - they were fantastic! After years of strikes, sky high inflation, and country falling further and further behind the competition, we finally got a leader who did what was necesssary to get this country moving forward again. 4 elections down the line, Labour got back into power by being more conservative than the tories! When Blair came to power the economy was on the up and it was impossible not to be successful. However, things can go pearshaped over 13 years as we have seen. Thatcher/Major were also responsible for opening up HE to the masses. For the first time HE was open to anyone.

I don't know anybody that I was at school with who struggled to get employment in the 80's.

..and as fo the Smiths singing about bleak futures, what was the punk revolution in 76/77 all about then?
    Don't be told what you want
    Don't be told what you need.
    There's no future
    there's no future
    there's no future for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wdywuk)
    I was at university during the Thatcher years - they were fantastic! After years of strikes, sky high inflation, and country falling further and further behind the competition, we finally got a leader who did what was necesssary to get this country moving forward again. 4 elections down the line, Labour got back into power by being more conservative than the tories! When Blair came to power the economy was on the up and it was impossible not to be successful. However, things can go pearshaped over 13 years as we have seen. Thatcher/Major were also responsible for opening up HE to the masses. For the first time HE was open to anyone.

I don't know anybody that I was at school with who struggled to get employment in the 80's.

..and as fo the Smiths singing about bleak futures, what was the punk revolution in 76/77 all about then?
    Don't be told what you want
    Don't be told what you need.
    There's no future
    there's no future
    there's no future for you
    Well I was born when the Pistols sang "God save the Queen", and all during my childhood years none in our family ever worked. There were no jobs. Then when the Thatcher years came there was still no jobs. When Blair came to power jobs seemed to have increased and my family (5 out of 7 members), for the first time, started to work.

The Smiths were Post-punk by the way.

ReputationRep:
    theres a lot i could say but ill just stick with saying that your suggestion that politics is linked to jobs completely undermines your whole arguement. this especially made me laugh, "When Blair came to power jobs seemed to have increased".

(Original post by crcr)
    theres a lot i could say but ill just stick with saying that your suggestion that politics is linked to jobs completely undermines your whole arguement. this especially made me laugh, "When Blair came to power jobs seemed to have increased".
    Actually, Martyn is correct; not only had jobs seemed to have increased, they did.

Under Blair, the unemployment rate plunged to 4.7%, the lowest in 30 years.

Have you got any else to say, seeing as you said you had a lot you could say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Actually, Martyn is correct; not only had jobs seemed to have increased, they did.

Under Blair, the unemployment rate plunged to 4.7%, the lowest in 30 years.

Have you got any else to say, seeing as you said you had a lot you could say?
    The public sector also grew to ridiculous levels so it's hardly brilliant news to be honest. Anyone can lower unemployment if you engorge the public sector.

ReputationRep:
    i wasn't trying to say anything about what unemployment was or wasn't. my point was basically that its about allocation of resources. a new job should add to productivity and add value to the economy. this is a basic rule that a government can break in the short term but can't in the long term.

so its problematic to say someone created more jobs when it isn't immediately clear what the long-term effect of that is as economic data is heavily aggregated. for example, you could be subsidizing low-productivity jobs with high-productivity jobs created in a period of cyclical economic growth and it wouldn't be clear that was happening until well after the fact. so my general point is unemployment is guided by bigger things than a government's economic policy and someone saying "blair created jobs" is confusing cause and effect because as the past few years have shown, no1 can make gold out of ****. so someone can create jobs but, in the short-term, they probably shouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    I was born in '88, but my family was still feeling the strain, as a result of Thatcher's policies, until the mid 90's.

(Original post by Teaddict)
    The public sector also grew to ridiculous levels so it's hardly brilliant news to be honest. Anyone can lower unemployment if you engorge the public sector.
    I was addressing the point that employment did increase in the Blair years...no more and no less.

Of course, not all the jobs were in the public sector. Increasing confidence encouraged businesses to take on new staff too, remember.

(Original post by wdywuk)

Really? :rolleyes:

The 20th century witnessed two particularly severe depressions in Britain - in the 1920s and '30s and in the 1980s and '90s - in which unemployment reached as high as 25 per cent of the adult labour force (and even higher in some areas).
    http://www.screenonline.org.uk/history/id/584028/
    Are you looking back at Thatcher's Britain through 'rose-tinted' glasses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    Many people who gained employment during the Blair years when jobs seemed to have gushed forth like a fountain
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle7009695.ece

Under Blair jobs did gush forth like a fountain, a state owned fountain. Out of 2,270,000 jobs created under Blair, less than a million were private sector. Now you'd think since the private sector pays for the public sector, you'd try to keep a ratio in favour of the private sector, or at very minimum 1:1. Yet in some places, like the West Midlands, ALL new jobs were public sector, and private sector employment actually fell.
    That's the difference between Labour and the Conservatives, Labour will throw money at a problem or attempt to bribe the electorate and hope it goes away, while the Conservatives will actually attempt to solve this country's problems regardless of what the selfish and stubborn on Labour's payroll say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    I was addressing the point that employment did increase in the Blair years...no more and no less.

Of course, not all the jobs were in the public sector. Increasing confidence encouraged businesses to take on new staff too, remember.
    9/10 jobs went to immigrants remember - I am sure the working classes benefitted hugely from that... or perhaps not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle7009695.ece

Under Blair jobs did gush forth like a fountain, a state owned fountain. Out of 2,270,000 jobs created under Blair, less than a million were private sector. Now you'd think since the private sector pays for the public sector, you'd try to keep a ratio in favour of the private sector, or at very minimum 1:1. Yet in some places, like the West Midlands, ALL new jobs were public sector, and private sector employment actually fell.
    That's the difference between Labour and the Conservatives, Labour will throw money at a problem or attempt to bribe the electorate and hope it goes away, while the Conservatives will actually attempt to solve this country's problems regardless of what the selfish and stubborn on Labour's payroll say.
    Labours mandate was to improve public services so its a little unsurprising.

The 1:1 thing doesn't make much sense as the tax take rose to support them, you should be comparing cost of the public sector workers vs the tax take from private sector workers.

The Conservatives don't attempt to solves the UKs problems, they have a different mandate and work to that.

ReputationRep:
    That was their mandadet.

How can you say what is and what is not 'the correct level'?

Certainly in '97 people thought it was too small.

ReputationRep:
    Thatcher ruined this country forever

ReputationRep:
    9/10 jobs went to immigrants remember - I am sure the working classes benefitted hugely from that... or perhaps not.
    are you saying immigrants who work are not working class?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badtothebone)
    are you saying immigrants who work are not working class?
    Are you suggesting everyone who works is working class?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    That was their mandadet.

How can you say what is and what is not 'the correct level'?

Certainly in '97 people thought it was too small.
    Not at all, the '97 electorate thought public expenditure was too small and that the EMU ruined the Conservatives economic record and credibility.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, the '97 electorate thought public expenditure was too small and that the EMU ruined the Conservatives economic record and credibility.
    Just because 'not all' did, didn't mean the majority didn't.

Economic credibility was still the Conservatives strongest area, way more so than law and order for example.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.