Turn on thread page Beta

Did you live through the Thatcher years? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Sure, and then they become pensioners and are suddenly capitalist class.
    pensions are deferred wages. i.e. you pay a portion of your wages (11% in the firebrigade) to a pension fund.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badtothebone)
    pensions are deferred wages. i.e. you pay a portion of your wages (11% in the firebrigade) to a pension fund.
    That can only be said of defined benefit schemes, not defined contribution schemes, particularly private pensions.

ReputationRep:
    I guess they were so terrible people were forced to vote Tory in 3 consecutive general elections. The Thatcher/Major government created the conditions that caused the economic success of the Blair years (undeservedly credited by the OP).

Now we are paying for that with the current recession, and again the Conservatives have to save the country from the brink of collapse after several incompetent Labour governments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    I guess they were so terrible people were forced to vote Tory in 3 consecutive general elections. The Thatcher/Major government created the conditions that caused the economic success of the Blair years (undeservedly credited by the OP).

Now we are paying for that with the current recession, and again the Conservatives have to save the country from the brink of collapse after several incompetent Labour governments.
    You remember the Conservatives weren't voted in right...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    That can only be said of defined benefit schemes, not defined contribution schemes, particularly private pensions.
    i guess you are talking about a pension where the amount you get depends on how well you invest. yeah i guess thats petty capitalist.

ReputationRep:
    i guess you are talking about a pension where the amount you get depends on how well you invest. yeah i guess thats petty capitalist.
    Yup

ie 80% of private sector schemes, so the majority of people :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Yup

And rising

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Yup

to be clear are you saying 50.1% of the population or over are paying into one of these pension schemes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    You remember the Conservatives weren't voted in right...?
    What is this, some sort of conspiracy theory?

ReputationRep:
    to be clear are you saying 50.1% of the population or over are paying into one of these pension schemes?
    No not right now, but give it 12 months when auto enrolment kicks in then yes.

ReputationRep:
    What is this, some sort of conspiracy theory?
    No, just that they didn't win the election.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    No, just that they didn't win the election.
    I think you'll find the 1979, 1983 and 1987 and even 1992 elections were most definitely won by the Conservatives.

Please go study at least some basic history of UK politics before you make any more ridiculous statements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    No not right now, but give it 12 months when auto enrolment kicks in then yes.
    thats a fair point - i don't think it can be half the population tho - kids(under 22), the public sector, people who opt out self employed.... I think you're right it will increase but i don't think to over half the population.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry is it the 20th century?

If you want to get picky/be facetious then 'the Conservative Party did not win the 2010 UK General Election.'

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll find the 1979, 1983 and 1987 and even 1992 elections were most definitely won by the Conservatives.

Please go study at least some basic history of UK politics before you make any more ridiculous statements.
    he said the tories didnt win the election in 2010. whats hard to grasp about that? 1992 is the last time a tory government won an election - some 19 years ago now. quite impressive how long that lack of support has lasted.

ReputationRep:
    thats a fair point - i don't think it can be half the population tho - kids(under 22), the public sector, people who opt out self employed.... I think you're right it will increase but i don't think to over half the population.
    Well it only matters on retirement - thats when they become capitalist class, so under 22s don't matter. The self employed have to save for retirement in this way (how else can they do it that wouldn't keep them/make them capitalist class??).

Public sector is currently 6 million people out of 29 million workers, and some of those take the contribution option rather than the average salary scheme option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    I supect that many people here were not alive, or were not unemployed and looking for work during the Thatcher years. They have not lived through that very desparate time from the early 1980s onwards which produced bands like The Smiths whose lyrics of hopelessness, despair, depression and angst came out of Thatcher's Britain. They have not been affected by those times. Let me say this to you: had you been, you'd would wish you never were.

Many people on TSR have no idea what that was like, and this is why many Tory followers on here (mainly of a young-ish age) are quite willing to tread on the fingers of those who are now or have been facing these cuts and facing unemployment and job insecurity.

Many people who gained employment during the Blair years when jobs seemed to have gushed forth like a fountain, and everyone seemed to be busy with their working lives, many people who had lived through those earlier Thatcher years as a young man or young woman are still affected even today, perhaps even for the rest of their lives.

I speak not only from my own personal experience but also of those of my friends who went through that time with me. Over, well-over, half of my friends who lived through that time still don't have jobs now, or have found it difficult to get work. They picked up somewhat under the Blair years, but overall their lives were affected by the previous Thatcher years (not discounting the following John Major years).

People really should have more empathy and compassion with people.
    Guessing that most Labour voters have very short memories too, exactly the same thing happened in the 70s, Labour spent the country into debt then and surprise surprise, they have done so again, and the new government have been left to pick up the pieces.

The country was technically broke, there was no money left. Thatcher inherited a basket case economy that under Old Labour had suffered the humiliation of being bailed out under the IMF.

They walked into the treasury, like baliffs, and for a time, whatever they said went. Sod democracy, and if they had said no benefits, then that's what would have happened and all the consequences that went with it.

Stop trying to rewrite history and go back to applying for jobs. New Labour has left us a trillion pounds in debt.

Yes, Labour always gives to the poor, but it gives what it can't afford.

Yes, Labour are always the nice guys treating us to sweeties.

Yes the Tories are always nasty *******s for facing up to financial reality.

Yes there will always be those that favour Labour because Labour tells them what they want to hear.

Truth is, leaving the nation a trillion pounds in debt is about as nasty as it gets, and when you factor in that it's not immediately apparent what we got in return for all that spending, Labour comes over no better than a bunch of mafia racketeers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    the tories said they would match labour spending POUND FOR POUND humoursly i read that in an article written by Osbourne called 'tories cutting services? thats a pack of lies!!

The tories also voted for both iraq and afghan wars - that cost a lot

the tories also voted to bail out the banks - that cost a lot

so not that much between tory and labour spending really is there?

ReputationRep:
    the tories also voted to bail out the banks - that cost a lot
    Did they?

When?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Well it only matters on retirement - thats when they become capitalist class, so under 22s don't matter. The self employed have to save for retirement in this way (how else can they do it that wouldn't keep them/make them capitalist class??).

Public sector is currently 6 million people out of 29 million workers, and some of those take the contribution option rather than the average salary scheme option.
    some people live off the state pension. and i think im right in saying that pensioners on this scheme are not half the population or more. in any case yeah it does make them petty bourgious - a little capitalist, like the corner shop owner - something like that.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.