Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    Stop trying to rewrite history and go back to applying for jobs. New Labour has left us a trillion pounds in debt.
    The Coalition will leave us at least £1.5tn in debt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Sorry is it the 20th century?

If you want to get picky/be facetious then 'the Conservative Party did not win the 2010 UK General Election.'
    :facepalm:
    What has the 2010 UK general election got to do with the Tories winning 3 consecutive elections in the Thatcher years?
    God the stupidity of people on this forum astounds me sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    :facepalm:
    What has the 2010 UK general election got to do with the Tories winning 3 consecutive elections in the Thatcher years?
    Nothing, but everything to do with your implication that the people had asked
    the Conservatives to save the country from the brink of collapse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    btw, you're the guy with neg rep, I'm in the guy in Govt.

(Original post by Teaddict)
    9/10 jobs went to immigrants remember - I am sure the working classes benefitted hugely from that... or perhaps not.
    No, I don't remember those statistics. Have you got a source for corroboration, rather than citing a figure that appears to be based on personal prejudice?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    People were too busy trying to survive to worry about living!

(Original post by Quady)
    That can only be said of defined benefit schemes, not defined contribution schemes, particularly private pensions.
    My dad paid contributions (from his wages) to both state and private pension scheme to receive a pension. What's the difference? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    No, I don't remember those statistics. Have you got a source for corroboration, rather than citing a figure that appears to be based on personal prejudice?
    Personal prejudice? I think that's a bit harsh.

The Tories actually made a lot of noise over this actually when talking about their cap. How Labour failed to control immigration and that so many immigrants took jobs British people could do.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ed-Labour.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politi...es/8634469.stm

"So, roughly speaking, you can say 81% of net jobs created in the UK since 1997 have gone to people who were not born in the UK. "
    Daily Mail says 9/10. The Tories used the 9/10 figure. It appears the BBC uses 8/10

ReputationRep:
    Ah, so this thread has come round to hideous failure of social engineering by New Labour and their 'multicultural Britain'.

Only took 4 pages as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    Many people on TSR have no idea what that was like, and this is why many Tory followers on here (mainly of a young-ish age) are quite willing to tread on the fingers of those who are now or have been facing these cuts and facing unemployment and job insecurity.
    No-one suggested the 1980s were a golden age. We went through a major economic change which made a massive improvement to this country, but caused job losses at the time.

Perhaps if we'd not had a wishy-washy bunch of head-in-the-sand cowards running the country in the 1970s, we'd have been better off in the 80s. More effort could've been diverted into retraining and gradually altering the workforce rather than pouring yet more money into loss-making state-dependent industries.

People really should have more empathy and compassion with people.
    I rather think having the state basically support everything you do is about as compassionate as we should get. As we see, however, compassion breeds contempt amongst many.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Well I can't remember it, but I didn't live under General Franco either, yet I can still imagine what it must have been like. I can deeply appreciate just how difficult those years must have been for the working classes living under that evil bint. You're right, people do need to be more empathic and compassionate.

JFTR: I hate Morrissey. The 80s were just crap all around

(Yes, TSR Tories, I know my post makes your blood boil. The truth hurts. Neg away).
    I'm absolutely furious. How can you not like The Smiths? What's wrong with you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.