Turn on thread page Beta

Did you fill in your census form? watch

• View Poll Results: Did you fill in your census form?
    Yes
    83.33%
    No
    16.67%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahaneap)
    What a pointless post. Either tell me why you think I'm stupid, or shut up.
    I think your post was incredibly moronic, why would making this process cost the tax payer more achieve anything?

ReputationRep:
    I did.
    I REALLY like filling out forms.
    Please don't judge me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    I think your post was incredibly moronic, why would making this process cost the tax payer more achieve anything?
    It's not costing the tax payer more. It's costing Lockheed Martin, a weapons company, more money.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Haly)
    isnt not filling in the census illegal?
    I know you get a fine of £1000 if you dont fill it in. I think you could even go to prison if you refuse to do it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by The-Real-One)
    I did not fill in mine. I do not wish to tell the government any more information about myself than when I ask for a public service, such as council tax discount, where they will hold some information about me anyway.

I certainly do not wish to be asked how I live or spend my money, or my religion (which is Jedi, btw). Then have it all sold to American intelligences and Trans National Companies.

And so the govt census people can rightly go **** themselves.
    You have to fill it in. Everyone does. If you dont- expect a fine or even a prison sentence.

ReputationRep:
    What? I buy into loads of conspiracy theories and even I know it's just a damn census.

The only person who is going to give two ****s about your personal information is future generations of your family (after the 100 years of confidentiality have passed) and even then that's not too likely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harvie_316)
    correction: They tell us thats why they want it.

Its just another test to see how much we comply with what they tell us. If anybody has read/seen 1984 or the Martix, that is what will happen to us slowly
    This.

They're planning to set up a national identity register, to keep all your personal information on one database.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I didn't because I couldn't be bothered. Then I walked in on one flatmate informing the other they were due that day (in an hour) and that he was going to go submit it now to avoid a 1000 pound fine. I swiftly did it. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I filled mine in almost straight away, and posted it back that day.I dont fancy the 1k fine.I dont care what happens to the info I provided as I have nothing to hide anyway.I sincerely doubt the Government ( or anyone else) is interested in my boring life.

ReputationRep:
    No, not me myself, but my mum filled it in for us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahaneap)
    It's not costing the tax payer more. It's costing Lockheed Martin, a weapons company, more money.
    No it won't. They designed the system, theyre not running the census, that is being carried out by the office for national statisitcs. And even if they were, if it was to cost more do you honestly not think this cost would be passed on to the tax payer?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yes, I didn't want a fine.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody seems to have really pointed this out:

Your personal information will not be available for 100 years.

100 years.

In the meantime, they'll use general information (e.g. size of the Jewish community, average income of residents in your area) to better target government services. This is useful.

The census was introduced in 1841. It has been invaluable for historians to gain a better picture of Victorian society, and this census will help future historians discover things about our generation. It's not there because the government have a burning desire to find out your job title.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    No it won't. They designed the system, theyre not running the census, that is being carried out by the office for national statisitcs. And even if they were, if it was to cost more do you honestly not think this cost would be passed on to the tax payer?
    Yes.

"Lockheed Martin UK, the UK arm of US-based aerospace, defence, security, and technology company Lockheed Martin was awarded the contract to provide services for the census involves questionnaire printing, providing a customer contact centre and data capture and processing. The contract is valued at £150 million, approximately one third of the total £482 million census budget."

ReputationRep:
    The census is not run by the government, its run by the office for national statistics, who, on reciept of the questiionaires, take all the answers for question 1 and put them in a spread sheet, then question 2, then 3 etc etc, so all the information that you actually write gets separated so they wouldnt be able to know it was exactly YOU whose religion is buddhism that has been working in bhs for 3 years! the spreadsheets and graphs are then given to the government so your information doesnt actually get to them in the questionnaire form . The information is stored electronically for 100 years until it is released for genealogists to use. The paper questionnaires are burnt/shredded. So all the numptys on here that said theyre not doing it cos they dont want the government to get their info are going to feel a bit silly for having a £1000 fine because they didnt want to be part of statistical data.

Ahhh it annoys me so much when people assume theres snooping going on! just fill in the bloody form and make it easier for everyone!

ReputationRep:
    I did not fill my one in! i dnt even think we have the forms at home. How can I order them? Is it too late ? (honestly, these kinds of forms take ages and I dnt have enough time right now)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahoward)
    The census is not run by the government, its run by the office for national statistics, who, on reciept of the questiionaires, take all the answers for question 1 and put them in a spread sheet, then question 2, then 3 etc etc, so all the information that you actually write gets separated so they wouldnt be able to know it was exactly YOU whose religion is buddhism that has been working in bhs for 3 years! the spreadsheets and graphs are then given to the government so your information doesnt actually get to them in the questionnaire form . The information is stored electronically for 100 years until it is released for genealogists to use. The paper questionnaires are burnt/shredded. So all the numptys on here that said theyre not doing it cos they dont want the government to get their info are going to feel a bit silly for having a £1000 fine because they didnt want to be part of statistical data.

Ahhh it annoys me so much when people assume theres snooping going on! just fill in the bloody form and make it easier for everyone!
    Thankyou for posting this, put it better than I ever could!
    Also +1 rep
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by itzme)
    I did not fill my one in! i dnt even think we have the forms at home. How can I order them? Is it too late ? (honestly, these kinds of forms take ages and I dnt have enough time right now)
    It won't take that long to do if you phone up the census helpline (on my mobile so don't have the number to hand) you can ask for another form

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xKTx)
    It won't take that long to do if you phone up the census helpline (on my mobile so don't have the number to hand) you can ask for another form
    I just ordered one and it will take 5 working days. Will I be penalised if I do it in April as the deadline was in March?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by itzme)
    I just ordered one and it will take 5 working days. Will I be penalised if I do it in April as the deadline was in March?
    No the only people who would be penalised are the people who refuse to fill them in point blank. Collectors are going round from today to get ones that haven't been returned yet, but as long as people do do them, there're no repercussions

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.