Turn on thread page Beta

Did you fill in your census form? watch

• View Poll Results: Did you fill in your census form?
    Yes
    83.33%
    No
    16.67%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GwrxVurfer)
    I wouldn't throw the first punch. If the census collector became physically violent, I would of course be allowed to use all reasonable force to ensure my safety.

If the census collector is able to control himself and not lash out, then there is no problem, correct?
    I'm sorry, are you sure you're talking about census collectors and not rogue samurai? The census collectors do not give a crap if you want to be an idiot and not fill in the census. They're not going to fly into a rage and set your house on fire. Leave them be. Its not like they come down to wherever you work and punch you. Just tell them to go away and close the door if you're such an ass.

ReputationRep:
    It's not my census, and you are the one who wants people to fill it in.

I wouldn't waste time trying to explain my reasoning to people like you, who are most likely wired. You trespass if you are knowingly on my land without permission. So entering to knock on the door isn't trespass, but after you've been told "No, leave", you are legally obliged to leave the private property without delay.
    Sorry questionnaire instead of census if your going to be pedantic! And as i have already said i dont give a flying f*ck if people fill it in! Im not the one paying the fine am i? Im just collecting it from people that havent posted it etc.

And your second paragraph, ive already stated that too! If someone wants us to go away, we leave...we.have.no.interest.in.w asting.our.time.talking.to.refus als.
    Literally dont think i could make it any clearer :s

Why call me wired? You dont actually know me, so why start throwing cr*p around like that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bosch)
    Ahhh he's just a berk lol, I have a mate who's doing census collecting, loves it and says his pay is great, apparently hes had a few people saying "I haven't done it, and I'm not going to do it, I'm not going to give in to the government stealing my information, what you gonna do about it?" and they actually expect an arguement, he just gives them the old "cool story bro", and walks off haha
    I feel like im going round in circles with him now, is he for real?! haha! I love it too! ive spent all of today in the sun, someone refuses, i say okay and move on! Everyone else either wasnt in or were happy to even have a chat! and like i said some even offer you tea and biscuits! haha! The pay is good too, cannot complain one bit! We're not there to argue, like ive said, why should we care if you get a £1000 fine, its not us that pays it haha!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't throw the first punch. If the census collector became physically violent, I would of course be allowed to use all reasonable force to ensure my safety.

If the census collector is able to control himself and not lash out, then there is no problem, correct?
    What the hell?

The census collector couldn't care less if you filled in your form or not, so why on earth would they flip out? Sounds like your the one likely to lash out, really.

If someone comes to your door, says they're a census collector, then physically assaults you, I'd hazard a guess they're probably not.

And FYI, the data collected is only ever used as statistics, never as personal information until 100 years from now. Nobody even sees your personal information until then, it is only seen as statistics for a certain area.

(I'm a census collector)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flob)
    What the hell?

The census collector couldn't care less if you filled in your form or not, so why on earth would they flip out? Sounds like your the one likely to lash out, really.

If someone comes to your door, says they're a census collector, then physically assaults you, I'd hazard a guess they're probably not.

And FYI, the data collected is only ever used as statistics, never as personal information until 100 years from now. Nobody even sees your personal information until then, it is only seen as statistics for a certain area.

(I'm a census collector)
    I am too! But mr gwhatever up there is deciding we are a*seholes pretty much!

ReputationRep:
    Have you warned the postman and milkman about this yet.....?

ReputationRep:
    Precisely. Which is why, in addition to you working in a known hostile-job, I would assume you were wired. Sorry if you don't like that.
    What the hell is hostile about collecting in the bloody census?

ReputationRep:
    Good, so I'd be civil and say "Not interested, also want to let you know that I wish for you to leave the property now", and you'd go away. Happy days all around!

Precisely. Which is why, in addition to you working in a known hostile-job, I would assume you were wired. Sorry if you don't like that.
    No i dont like that, im a regular 19 year old uni student that wants to earn some money so i can enjoy my summer at home, I have taken on this job because it requires lots of walking (hills in my area especially) and i want to get more exercise. I also like talking to people and helping them out. This job is perfect. And im pretty sure if you had it and knew what the pay was like you wouldnt be acting like a tw*t.

ReputationRep:
    £1000 fine, of course I did.
    It's not like I had to give stupid information, and the information means they have an idea how to provide certain public services... Don't see the issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahoward)
    I am too! But mr gwhatever up there is deciding we are a*seholes pretty much!
    Well at least he hasn't realised that all collectors are actually secretly employed by the CIA to spy on everyone. And rough them up too. Phew :rolleyes:

On the flip side, its a really nice job! (while this weather lasts anyway )
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    If you refuse, you will be visited by a non-compliance officer and 'will attempt to conduct an interview under caution'. Plus the whole going to court
    (if you still refuse) won't look good to potential employers if they run any sort of criminal records check

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flob)
    Well at least he hasn't realised that all collectors are actually secretly employed by the CIA to spy on everyone. And rough them up too. Phew :rolleyes:

On the flip side, its a really nice job! (while this weather lasts anyway )
    Haha! I know! How are you getting on with putting microphones on everyones pets? haha! I love it! I am planning tomorrows routes as we speak!! fingers crossed its sunny tomorrow too, hellooooo tan!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahoward)
    Haha! I know! How are you getting on with putting microphones on everyones pets?
    I thought it was semtex, you know with it being a hostile job and all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    I thought it was semtex, you know with it being a hostile job and all?
    :O how did you find out!!??

• TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Someone earlier said that the forms were burned to prevent identifying who had answered what on certain questions. Have you found that to be true

I have no doubt that the pay is good, but money isn't everything. You can't put a price on principles. If you're prepared to be complicit with these census people, then obviously you should expect resistence. You are an idiot if you think people will just obey your demands.

Are employers really that paranoid?

So what if I've been convicted for having a political belief? Any employer who would reject you on those grounds is not an employer I would ever consider working with.
    Census collectors don't actually see the questionnaires, except in special circumstances when helping someone fill it in. They get sent off, but they will be destroyed once the data has been recorded

It's not a political belief - filling in the census is a legal requirement

A number of jobs require some form of crb check, which would show that sort of thing. You say employers wouldn't be paranoid tho, what about yourself?

ReputationRep:

I have no doubt that the pay is good, but money isn't everything. You can't put a price on principles. You are behaving in a hostile manner simply by demanding people complete the census. Sorry, but that isn't even up for discussion.
    It makes me laugh how you edited out calling me an idiot. As i have said over and over again, its non compliance officers that do the demanding, not us collectors. If you pay attention to the job titles it might make sense to you?! We are not demanding, the officers demand, we collect questionnaires. Face it, you're aiming you rubbish at the wrong person and you cant admit it.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't understand what everyone's problem with the census is...
    You fill it in, because it helps provide the services we all pay for from the government. How do you expect them to know how much of certain things is needed without this? It's not like we're giving away stupid things about ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    I havent

ReputationRep:
    So you admit it - You demand the questionnaires. You just send over other people to do the actual "This is your last chance to comply" crap.

I make no secret of it, I think anyone who seriously expects to take on a hostile job without receiving any complaints is, by definition, an idiot.
    "I'd like to collect your census form please?"... yes, very hostile and mean.

ReputationRep:
    So you admit it - You demand the questionnaires. You just send over other people to do the actual "This is your last chance to comply" crap.

I make no secret of it, I think anyone who seriously expects to take on a hostile job without receiving any complaints is, by definition, an idiot.
    FFS, why do you seem to think its a hostile job? I see nothing at all hostile in going to someones house and asking if you can have the census they were sent the other day. Nothing hostile in that at all.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.