Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Moving to Australia watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys..

So I'm currently planning to be moving to australia this time next year! I've started applying for jobs related to my field, visa done and now saving for flights!!

Very exciting & Scary at the same time- especially when I'll also be starting a new career in a new country!

Just wondering if anyone else has made the transition or taken time out to work? I'll be going on a work/holiday visa but if i end up loving it there it's very likely i'll stay there permanently really.

ReputationRep:
    going on holiday there later today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    Hi guys..

So I'm currently planning to be moving to australia this time next year! I've started applying for jobs related to my field, visa done and now saving for flights!!

Very exciting & Scary at the same time- especially when I'll also be starting a new career in a new country!

Just wondering if anyone else has made the transition or taken time out to work? I'll be going on a work/holiday visa but if i end up loving it there it's very likely i'll stay there permanently really.
    I'm going out in September for a year on a WHV I'm already bursting with excitement but yeah, quite nervous as well. Do you know which part you're going to, or is it job dependent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    I'm going out in September for a year on a WHV I'm already bursting with excitement but yeah, quite nervous as well. Do you know which part you're going to, or is it job dependent?

Oooo I'll be following you a few months later then (Planning to go after xmas!)

It will be job dependant though unfortunately as I'll be doing a 'graduate nurse program' which is a program in a hospital which builds the transition from student to registered nurse etc and gets all my skills up to date etc.

I've applied to queensland (Mainly brisbane and the gold coast) and will be looking at NSW and western australia too when their application cycles open later.

Totally crapping it..I think I'm going to stay in a hostel for the first few weeks, then find a rental or spare room? We'll see! Although Im going to give it a couple of weeks to move before I start my job.

Where are you doing, what job etc?

Oh Im glad ive found someone a similar age and on a similar visa lol

ReputationRep:

It will be job dependant though unfortunately as I'll be doing a 'graduate nurse program' which is a program in a hospital which builds the transition from student to registered nurse etc and gets all my skills up to date etc.

I've applied to queensland (Mainly brisbane and the gold coast) and will be looking at NSW and western australia too when their application cycles open later.

Totally crapping it..I think I'm going to stay in a hostel for the first few weeks, then find a rental or spare room? We'll see! Although Im going to give it a couple of weeks to move before I start my job.

Cool. I'm probably going to base myself in Sydney, at least for a while. I'm doing it on a gap year sort of thing, so I'll basically be working in whatever job I can get and seeing what other people I meet in the hostels are doing for longer term living/working/travelling.

ReputationRep:
    eeeek how exciting!! i'll be not long behind you

This site is amazing for info if you haven't been on it already - its also got a section especially for nurses moving to oz !! http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/

can i ask how easy was it getting the visa? also what nursing grad programmes have you applied for ?

If i end up loving it there it's very likely i'll stay there permanently really.
    Unless you have a perm. job offer (or skills that are in demand, to help get an immigrant visa) you won't be... sorry had to point that out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Unless you have a perm. job offer (or skills that are in demand, to help get an immigrant visa) you won't be... sorry had to point that out
    erm she will be a nurse!? which are very much in demand in oz. And if she finds full time job offer she can get a sponsor work visa.

(Original post by Holamigo)
    erm she will be a nurse!? which are very much in demand in oz. And if she finds full time job offer she can get a sponsor work visa.
    The OP had no mention of a Nurse and I know they are in demand I'm not a complete moron I do watch those Wanted Down Under and Phl Down Under Shows which keep telling us....

Bet you negged me :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

The OP had no mention of a Nurse and I know they are in demand I'm not a complete moron I do watch those Wanted Down Under and Phl Down Under Shows which keep telling us....

Read the thread, not always does the OP give details..but use eyes and common sense, its like the shortest thread ever....

ReputationRep:

Nope actually wasn't me who neg repped you haha

ReputationRep:
    Anglo Saxons need a permit to visit their own territory? ****ing disgrace

ReputationRep:
    Hi to all

Im curently doing my Chemistry Degree in Canada and im planning to move over to Australia, right now im thinking about Brisbane since i heard there is a lot of company there in the chemistry/pharmaceutical industry, and since its about one hour drive from the gold coast...

After reading for a while on the official Australia immigration website i have a few questions. Which kind of Visa would be best for me between the Work/Holiday visa or the skilled migrants visa?

Thank you,
    Liam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdma21)
    Hi to all

Im curently doing my Chemistry Degree in Canada and im planning to move over to Australia, right now im thinking about Brisbane since i heard there is a lot of company there in the chemistry/pharmaceutical industry, and since its about one hour drive from the gold coast...

After reading for a while on the official Australia immigration website i have a few questions. Which kind of Visa would be best for me between the Work/Holiday visa or the skilled migrants visa?

Thank you,
    Liam.
    It's tough I reckon the WHV and then convert when you have an established job, although there is always the option you can be sponsered. There's a slight dip in the job market over there too and Im having to apply through private hospitals as opposed to public due to this, as foreigners we come last of the pile!

ReputationRep:
    It's tough I reckon the WHV and then convert when you have an established job, although there is always the option you can be sponsered. There's a slight dip in the job market over there too and Im having to apply through private hospitals as opposed to public due to this, as foreigners we come last of the pile!
    Unbelievable how someone from the UK is considered a foreigner in Australia.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys..

I'm just coming to the end of my year in Australia and I'm gutted to be leaving.

Came here with my boyfriend, a mechanic, so he's been working the whole time, I've had a couple of office jobs and done a month volunteering at an animal sanctuary but I've struggled finding a job as I have no qualifications above A Levels and people aren't very inclined to hire you if you're not here for long.

Despite the lack of job, it's been a brilliant experience. We live in a rented house just south of Brisbane, perfect location as it's in between the city and the gold coast.

The only reason I'm coming home is that I can't stay in the country. The only way for me to stay would to be engaged/married to someone who is a resident (my boyfriend could apply for residency, but he's not wanting to get married yet)
    So I'm coming home to do a degree, then I'm back out here as soon as I can.

The weather this year has been totally out of the normal, as you have probably heard, there hasn't been nearly as much sun as there should have been and there has been more rain than you'd believe! But by the time you get over here the weather conditions should have sorted themselves out.

Obviously you know, when it's hot it's just ridiculous. You literally can't sunbathe in it, there have been a few days where we've struggled to stay in the sun for more than 10 mins and then returned to the house with sweat running from places you didn't know could sweat! And you can burn even when you can't see the sun through the clouds!
    What you may not know (as we didn't when we came over, despite my boyfriend having family over here and having visited here before!) is that the winter here can be COLD. I brought a couple of jumpers with me, my boyfriend had to buy one in the first few days (we arrived in winter). If you g0 to BBQs/parties etc you will generally be outside no matter how cold it is. I was literally wearing jeans, t-shirt, jumper, coat and blanket over my legs, whilst sitting under the patio heater.

Pests are a problem, no matter what. We've had the house sprayed recently and I still come down in the morning to find cockroach mess all over the pantry.. But finding there mess is much better than finding them as they are about the size of your thumb, can fly and run very fast!
    See much fewer spiders than expected, boyfriend's auntie lives out in the sticks and I saw a couple of huntsmans there because the place had been sprayed, which drives them out of hiding.
    Mosquitoes/midges love British blood and come out at all times of the day, you have to keep yourself covered in insect repellent if you're anywhere near plants during the day and if you're anywhere outside at night!

Despite all that, I would give almost anything to be staying here! Aussies are really nice, there's a lot more green around as opposed to everything being concrete and you don't have to go far before you can see nothing at all but green, the sky is amazing (all day it looks like a painting and all night you can see more stars than you'd ever see in the UK!).

Where I live it's less than an hour to:
    Brisbane
    Surfers Paradise (gorgeous beaches all around there)
    Lone Pine Animal Sanctuary (definite must do)
    Dreamworld
    Whitewater World
    Movie World
    Wet 'n' Wild Water World
    Sea World
    Mouth Tamborine: Rainforest Walk, Rainforest Skywalk, Cedar Creek Falls etc
    They're all just off the top of my head, there are loads of other things to see and do around here. Australia Zoo isn't far up the coast too and Underwater World where you can swim with seals and sharks.

I could go on for ages about how awesome this place is!

As a nurse you'll have no problem finding jobs and they'll bend over backwards to help you get residency. If you get a place sorted before you come over then some places may even help you out with somewhere to stay when you arrive. Renting houses is a much bigger thing over here, everyone knows someone who is renting a house or a room out, the standard of rental houses is much higher than at home too.

So yeah, warm clothes for winter and keep Aeroguard (bug repellent) and suncream in your bag at all times!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys..

I made the move in January didn't plan anything at all til I came over here. You''ll have a great time!

ReputationRep:
    OK but can you describe a bit more the actual procedure in which you ''made the move'' what kind of visa, whats youre academic level, what are doing over there, etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tasia)
    I'm just coming to the end of my year in Australia and I'm gutted to be leaving.

Came here with my boyfriend, a mechanic, so he's been working the whole time, I've had a couple of office jobs and done a month volunteering at an animal sanctuary but I've struggled finding a job as I have no qualifications above A Levels and people aren't very inclined to hire you if you're not here for long.

Despite the lack of job, it's been a brilliant experience. We live in a rented house just south of Brisbane, perfect location as it's in between the city and the gold coast.

The only reason I'm coming home is that I can't stay in the country. The only way for me to stay would to be engaged/married to someone who is a resident (my boyfriend could apply for residency, but he's not wanting to get married yet)
    So I'm coming home to do a degree, then I'm back out here as soon as I can.

Ah, you sound like me after my time living/working in New Zealand during my gap year - pretty gutted and sad to leave!

You do realise though that you wouldn't have to marry your boyfriend to get permanent residency? You would be included as a secondary applicant on his application (I'm guessing under one of the skilled worker visas) and you just have to prove you've been in a 'genuine and loving relationship' and been living together for at least a year. It's called having a 'de facto' relationship, Immigration officials don't discriminate against people who don't want to get married anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Id love to move to Australia, i have a friend who lives there and he's always telling me to move over i mean visit him ha!
    Im going there on holiday for 3 months later this year to stay with him, probably october-ish, might stay there for christmas, not decided yet.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.