The Student Room Group

It's all kicking off in Africa

Didn't really want to start a new thread as I don't know too much about the topic, but I couldn't see anywhere else to write this!

But basically, I remember seeing mentioned briefly somewhere something along the lines of 'the conflict/protests in Egypt over power could trigger the same to happen all over Africa', could've seen it on here

And what an accurate call that's been! First Egypt, then Libya, now in the Ivory Coast? & it looks like a similar thing might be set to happen in Nigeria?

Where else? Why's it happening?
Would appreciate your thoughts and answers!
People in those countries are fed up of their potential economy being held back by corrupt leaders. Before now it's been a case of keeping your head down and watching one dictator usurp another. However Egypt was a prime catalyst for this, as it showed people in this situation that the people can win out and the army is not necessarily a tool of the government. Libya has been much more violent, but there people can see the military power that the developed countries can bring to bear when it gets too bad, so that also serves to bolster people's hopes of overthrowing the government and beginning to develop.
One thought that struck me is that this will go completely awfully if every oppressed country revolts - the political shockwaves will be enormous and anarchy could become widespread.
Reply 2
Given that africa is rife with corruption on every level (speaking as someone who as experienced it on a low level) and the successes in tunisia and egypt it's not surprising that the supporters of the legitimate winners of elections are getting braver and more confident.
Reply 3
I hope we don't end up with another Taliban :colonhash:
Original post by Architecture-er
One thought that struck me is that this will go completely awfully if every oppressed country revolts - the political shockwaves will be enormous and anarchy could become widespread.

Yay!

Seriously though, the violence that emerges when people try to overthrow a monopoly on coercion (the state) to replace it with another monopoly on coercion (a more 'democratic' state) is definitely not anarchy although I doubt it will stop posters on here and BBC/Channel 4 news from describing Africa (largely a continent rife with corrupt military dictatorships) as being in 'anarchy'.
Reply 5
The Ivory-coast is run by Freemasons so it would be interesting to see what they do there.
Reply 6
Original post by Phobia27
I hope we don't end up with another Taliban :colonhash:

We won't have another Taliban.

We'll have several more Taliban.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending