Turn on thread page Beta

'Social services snatched my children all because of a light joke' watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...hed-state.html

Leaning over the hospital incubator, Tara Norman smiled proudly down at her tiny newborn twins and whispered: ‘You should see what you have done to your Mummy’s body.’
    It was the kind of rueful joke that any exhausted new mother might make after a traumatic emergency Caesarean section.
    Implicit, of course, was the emphatic message that she would do it all again in a heartbeat, for the sake of knowing the joy of motherhood.

Throughout her pregnancy she had dreamed of the day she and husband Adrian would leave hospital as a family. She couldn’t wait to take their son and daughter, Ashley and Olivia home, and settle them into their nursery. But she had no idea that this passing remark about her figure — lovingly spoken, in a private moment — was being secretly documented by a nearby nurse or that it would set in motion a Kafkaesque nightmare which would tear her family apart.
    Observing that Tara appeared ‘bitter’ towards her twins, the nurse updated the babies’ daily diary — a set of notes that are kept as standard practice on neonatal wards to help staff keep track of each premature baby’s progress.
    The incident — if one can call it that — was never mentioned to Tara or Adrian. And if there were any other signs that something was amiss, the Normans, as new parents to two premature babies, were understandably too preoccupied to notice.
    In fact, they knew nothing of the problem until days later, when a woman from Havering Social Services arrived at their home in Hornchurch, Essex, and announced: ‘I’m here because we want to take your children into care and we want you to agree to it.'

As evidence of their ‘inadequate parenting skills’ and failure to bond with the twins, nurses cited Tara’s comments and occasions when the couple had not fed the children the recommended amount of milk or changed their nappies properly.

There could be no doubt of their desire to become parents or their commitment to care for their children, yet social workers claimed that Tara had made ‘emotionally abusive’ comments towards the twins.
    In their professional opinion, Tara and Adrian could not cope with the demands of first-time parenthood with two premature babies.
    Havering Borough Council, acting on information supplied by Whipps Cross Hospital in East London,warned that Ashley and Olivia were at risk of ‘significant harm’ and launched court proceedings to take the six-week-old twins into care. According to the hospital, the Normans were struggling to care for the twins, born six weeks early and weighing only 3lb each.
    As evidence of their ‘inadequate parenting skills’ and failure to bond with the twins, nurses cited Tara’s comments and occasions when the couple had not fed the children the recommended amount of milk or changed their nappies properly.

‘No one is born with parenting skills, but we were learning as we went along, just like anyone else,’ says Adrian, a 43-year-old former Post Office worker. ‘If we had been given some help we would have been fine. But they only seemed interested in taking the children away.’
    Thankfully, the babies are now back to their rightful parents. However, this should not happen in the first place -- and there are many similar cases which turned out less fortunate.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What is it with social services? They intervene in the wrong cases and do nothing in the genuine ones.

And before people come in saying dail mail ect in my experience with them they really are this ****ing useless.

ReputationRep:
    That article is written in a very, very biased tone. I'd like to hear the other side of the story.

ReputationRep:
    Mfw a 'news' story is written in the style of a novel.

ReputationRep:
    Some 'services' need to be cut...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    What is it with social services? They intervene in the wrong cases and do nothing in the genuine ones.

And before people come in saying dail mail ect in my experience with them they really are this ****ing useless.
    I'm sorry but..

I come from a family who fosters.

Me and my mum have fostered for 5 years now, and she will carry on for many more.

So i would thank you tp prove your experience of them doing' nothing when something is wrong' or else you can take it back.

We have helped so many people who are done right by social services, right now we have two young girls taken away from an abusive father and ignorant mother who both have very deep psychological problems that won't be fixed for many years to come. Bore them we had a girl who was secretly SERIOUSLY abused by her father, unbeknowing to her mother, and was only 'set free' because of a member of social services being contacted by a corcerned friendWe have had many young children of similar stories, all essentially 'saved' because of the work of social services. This is just us, one family who foster children, now imagine ALL the people who foster in the united kingdom and wherever else.

In the news you hear the worst, you do not hear about stories like ours, you hear things that have gone wrong.

So, unless you have personal experience, and are just using news stories, then you cannot judge anyone.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather them make these kinds of mistakes than the other and see children be neglected and harmed. It sucks I know, it really shouldn't happen but I would rather they be too careful. better safe than sorry.

ReputationRep:
    It is a good service. If she was actually a threat to her children and social services intervened because of a passing comment everyone would be singing their praises. This was just a idiotic nurses who spun the story.

ReputationRep:
    Social services are ****ing useless.

ReputationRep:
    The Daily Mail is for Daily Star readers with degree's.

ReputationRep:
    Babies are snatching children now??? :woo:

Social Services is ****, I know this has a member of my family has had a hard time with them in the past... turns out they got the names mixed up, incompetent idiots IMO.

I do hope that Social Services is improved so those that are in danger are helped as going for the wrong people, getting something mixed up etc etc could be devastating for the child that is in desperate need of help.

ReputationRep:
    In Soviet Essex, babies snatch social services.

ReputationRep:
    wow you people really do just go along with whatever you're told to think.

Thats what happens when you give jobs worths targets. It would have had more to do with the number of adoptive families wanting cute little twins than anything else. I remember reading stories of babies being taken away for reasons just as pathetic as that one and then ending up being adopted by the social workers family members whilst the older disabled siblings were apparantly not in harms way....not as much of a market for them more like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)

Agreed; well that's how the press seem to present it anyway

ReputationRep:
    In this thread brainless idiots go along with whatever they're told in the media. Herp derp.

The media never tells you about the success stories where people are rescued from being sexually abused and placed into safe foster homes, good news doesn't sell papers. I'd much rather that social services were overzealous and hands on rather than laid back and cautious.

ReputationRep:
    Surely this is more the fault of the nurses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Social services are ****ing useless.
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Social Services is ****, I know this has a member of my family has had a hard time with them in the past... turns out they got the names mixed up, incompetent idiots IMO.

I do hope that Social Services is improved so those that are in danger are helped as going for the wrong people, getting something mixed up etc etc could be devastating for the child that is in desperate need of help.
    Please read my post on first page, a few posts down.

And also, stop being ignorant.

You hear about the bad stories, not the THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of good stories like mine and families we know have provided, all thanks to social services.

My family, and others, thanks to the, have literally saved kids from being killed.

So how about you shut the hell up unless you have real experience with them like i do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)

Because the success stories, like with most things, are usually ignored. Also I am sure that again like most things, much of the red tape and incompetence comes through guideline introduced by public pressure.

There is outrage when the social services are seen to neglect cases such as Baby P but when they do their job to a competent degree, they are accused of being intrusive and again criticised.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.