Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'Social services snatched my children all because of a light joke' Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    Surely this is more the fault of the nurses?
    Shhhhh, your use of common sense and rational deductive logic will confuse the average reactionary TSR member.

ReputationRep:
    didn't hear much about the kind of **** that made the nurse feel it appropriate to get social services involved.. if this is an accurate and unbiased portrayal of the situation (seems unlikely) then it is of course outrageous and the council should bend over backwards to apologise

I think people need to calm down and should take a stop before making decisions and then we wouldn't be in the situation we are in now.

ReputationRep:
    And in other news social services let two children die after missing tell-tale warnings such as the mother's spiteful comment "You should see what you have done to your Mummy’s body". Better safe than sorry, eh?

(Original post by Tommyjw)
    So how about you shut the hell up unless you have real experience with them like i do.
    How about you read my post, a family member has had issues with them and I had direct experience as I was living with her at the time, bunch of moron's couldn't understand that she was not the person they needed to talk to as they got the names mixed up.

My friend was almost taken away from his adopted parents after an error in their system, just because you have good experiences and think you are the only one to have experience Social Services doesn't mean otehrs haven't either.

ReputationRep:
    The nurses should have talked to the parents and helped them if they weren't getting things quite right. They're there to help. :/

ReputationRep:
    Who the **** says that to their children? :lolwut: If you can say that to a newborn, God only knows what you can do when the kid's older.

On another note, I was born at that hospital.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Please read my post on first page, a few posts down.

And also, stop being ignorant.

You hear about the bad stories, not the THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of good stories like mine and families we know have provided, all thanks to social services.

My family, and others, thanks to the, have literally saved kids from being killed.

So how about you shut the hell up unless you have real experience with them like i do.
    I do have experience of social services, and of social workers, their attitudes, actions and opinions.

A lot of good is done by SS, but this doesn't negate the fact (and it is a fact) that plenty of what they do is superfluous and, at worst, bordering on abuse in itself and that this does extend to them not acting on cases that need it. To say that many people who work for SS are often priggish is an understatement. This is to say nothing of families who foster who are, for the most part, compassionate decent people (in my experience at least).

They are not useless by any means, but they certainly aren't brilliant and they do miss the mark a lot (in my experience)

The fact that their failings (which have been significant, and abhorrent nobody can argue) have been publicized so much now means that they are likely to make poor, knee-jerk decisions in an attempt not to have the blame for more child murders placed upon them.

ReputationRep:
    I knew it was daily mail before i clicked.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm sorry but..

I come from a family who fosters.

Me and my mum have fostered for 5 years now, and she will carry on for many more.

So i would thank you tp prove your experience of them doing' nothing when something is wrong' or else you can take it back.

We have helped so many people who are done right by social services, right now we have two young girls taken away from an abusive father and ignorant mother who both have very deep psychological problems that won't be fixed for many years to come. Bore them we had a girl who was secretly SERIOUSLY abused by her father, unbeknowing to her mother, and was only 'set free' because of a member of social services being contacted by a corcerned friendWe have had many young children of similar stories, all essentially 'saved' because of the work of social services. This is just us, one family who foster children, now imagine ALL the people who foster in the united kingdom and wherever else.

In the news you hear the worst, you do not hear about stories like ours, you hear things that have gone wrong.

So, unless you have personal experience, and are just using news stories, then you cannot judge anyone.
    I'd really not like to get into something like that on a public forum thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    Surely this is more the fault of the nurses?
    Yeah, its the fault of the nurses because they raised concerns with a child that required safeguarding. However with the press youre damned if you do and damned if you dont. Id rather a child was seperated from their parents while concerns were investigated than another baby p happens.

ReputationRep:
    The notion that a 3lb premature baby could understand verbal 'emotionally abusive' comments, especially the ones cited, is absolutely ludicrous. Also, as soon as a parent doesn't seem able to care for their children, they should imidiately be offered help, support and reminders, maybe even therapy. It seems completely unconstructive to moniter parents 'failures', not tell them that they are failing, and then try to take their baby away. How on earth will people learn if nurses do not tell them that they feel they are doing something wrong.

It really is outrageous.

And in my experience, many social workers have nothing in their lives and end up on moral crusades, especially if it is over something 'cute' or interesting, while completely ignoring a massive amount of genuine abusive cases because they're not pretty or interesting or seem not worth their time. Also their is a massive amount of class race prejudice in social work, and often they treat people of a certain race and class absolutely outrageously.

ReputationRep:
    I do think it's far more important to be overzealous than underzealous - I'm sure they'll get the kids back if this really is all a massive mistake, and it's far better that they lose the kids for a couple of weeks needlessly than that someone actually is sexually, emotionally or physically abused through negligence.

However, I have personally known people (keeping this vague as otherwise I'd want to be anon) who have been failed by the mental health and social services in cases of abuse or alcohol-dependent parents. Social services do get it wrong from time to time, and there are people out there who shouldn't be living at home and yet are.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure that article is a frank and unbiased account of the facts.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Please read my post on first page, a few posts down.

And also, stop being ignorant.

You hear about the bad stories, not the THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of good stories like mine and families we know have provided, all thanks to social services.

My family, and others, thanks to the, have literally saved kids from being killed.

I'm sorry but just because your mum has been a foster parent for a couple of years it does not make you an expert on the whole system of social services. Whilst I agree with what you're saying it is annoying when you talk about having 'real experiences' as if it makes you qualified to talk about social services in their entirety.

ReputationRep:
    Social 'services', intervene in wrong places and do **** all when you actually need them. They are just a bunch of clowns, and I have had alot of dealing with social 'services' to know that before some hoo haa says otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    If she had gone on to kill the kids after this being passed off by the nurse as being a light joke there would be a massive uproar.

Sure this sucks, but it if the nurse thought it was serious, then she did the right thing.

Also, why are you reading the Daily Mail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    She started screaming when they visited the twins for the first time and their foster siblings were holding them. She claims she threw her bag at the wall in frustration and accidentally hit a social worker, yet she was given a police caution which suggests something more violent. Two other social workers allege that she threw her mobile phone at them. To quote the article: ‘They had taken my children away from me. How was I supposed to react?’ which suggests she thinks these violent responses are normal.
    This post suggests that you think having your children taken away for no reason is normal.

If a mobile phone is all she threw she should be commended for her restraint.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Mfw a 'news' story is written in the style of a novel.
    MFW you didnt post a MFW pic -

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bosch)
    MFW you didnt post a MFW pic -
    mfw the use of mfw needs to be made explicitly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.