Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I do Physics at KCL.
    On course for a 1st class degree.
    Would like to have a career in Investment banking, with a particular interest in Energy M&A.

Have already worked for a year (well, 8 months) in a relatively small private company (total raised in capital investment ~$400 million) which deals with the acquisition and development of natural resources (mining) and energy. My work was pretty hands-on, was involved in writing up very long pitchbooks, reports, researching potential buyers and then presenting to clients (including the advisory board of an Arab royal) and international corporations in the far east.

Near the end I was introduced to the more technically financial side such as applying DCFs, Monte Carlo simulations, profitability assessments and slightly touched hedging gold.

After my experience I am sure I want to get involved in this stuff on a corporate level but I'm aware that I don't go to a 'target uni'. I think I might have a chance given the work experience I have but if not then I'd like some advice on what to do next.

Should I aim for a Masters at somewhere like LSE, Imperial...will those at least open the doors to interviews for me? I realise that the MSc from LSE =/= job but I expect that it will at least open the door for me and I hope that I can then do my part as an individual to get the job.

All advice would be much appreciated

Are you in your final year? Kings is a decent uni, and the fact that you have relevant experience is a huge bonus. I don't think you need to do a masters. How much success have you had with applications so far in terms of securing interviews?

I would do a Masters for M&A. If you can't get into it straight after Uni, why not do Corporate Finance at a top company for a few years, get an MBA (e.g. LBS) and then get into M&A as an associate.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.