Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Im currently in year 11 and I've chosen Maths/Bio/Chem/Economics for my a-levels.
    I've sorta predicted myself to get 3A*s 5-7As 2Distinctions for my GCSEs.
    I've already got A in Maths and English.
    Also I'll somehow manage 4As at AS and dropping economics for 3As at A2.
    Im going to complete some work experience aswell over the holidays so i guess im sorted with that?

Am I complete in terms of grades for a medical student?
    What types of universities would it be wise to apply for?
    Is the 6 year course hard to live with or can you manage?
    What other degrees do doctors, specifically GPs as that is what I intend on being, tend to have besides MBBS.
    Finally, is being a doctor after all training and such an enjoyable career?

Thanks alot.

Your grades will be fine. You'll have to look at entry requirements and admissions policies for different medical schools to make sure you meet their criteria.

Med schools like their applicants to have some sort of long- term voluntary work, so it'd be a good idea to sort something like that out, as well as work experience in a range of different medical environments.

6 year course? Do you mean with a foundation year or with intercalation?

Most medics have the MBBS/MBChB, possibly with a BSc if they choose to intercalate.

And only you will know whether it's an enjoyable career, do some work experience
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.