Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is AQA A2 COMP4? Hehe I was a little overambitious with my project and ended up with 250 pages, 100 of which were code... :P And I thought THAT was huge! 450 sounds pretty monstrous, good effort.

The trouble with it is, for each extra bit you wanna put in the software itself, the project expands hugely, cos all of a sudden you not only have more code, but have to expand everything from the Analysis and Design sections to the Testing and Evaluation sections; gets a bit beastly.

I loved the coding bit so much, but my god the write-up gets dull after a while :P

EDIT: Oh yeah, mine was an interactive teaching-aid package for certain sections of the D1 course.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Bleeding heck, I wish I hadn't read this thread! I'm so far behind in mine... hoping to finish the coding today. I've done 16 pages of the write-up itself, but that was before I had done much of the programming, so I'll have to heavily edit what I have done. And that was just Analysis and Design. So the next few days for me will be filled with endless writing! Yaaaaaay! Currently 55 pages of code - as I said, I want to finish this thing today (too... long...) so I can't see that increasing by much. Going to be a push to get it done (and well), but I think I can do it.

Mine is networked stock management and point of sale software

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LtCommanderData)
    Bleeding heck, I wish I hadn't read this thread! I'm so far behind in mine... hoping to finish the coding today. I've done 16 pages of the write-up itself, but that was before I had done much of the programming, so I'll have to heavily edit what I have done. And that was just Analysis and Design. So the next few days for me will be filled with endless writing! Yaaaaaay! Currently 55 pages of code - as I said, I want to finish this thing today (too... long...) so I can't see that increasing by much. Going to be a push to get it done (and well), but I think I can do it.

Mine is networked stock management and point of sale software
    Similar to mine then. If need any help on your write up post here and I can help you.

What language is yours in?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by User12399)
    Similar to mine then. If need any help on your write up post here and I can help you.

What language is yours in?
    Yeah, cheers

Mine's in VB6

ReputationRep:
    I slacked alot on my analysis and design stages, our tutor rquired them in section by section rather than whole project.
    I used vb.net to do it. aha

ReputationRep:
    The number of pages you have done does not determine the grade. With carefully selected test runs, sample screen designs, etc it is possible to produce a grade A project that is well under 200 pages long - depending on the complexity of code and the language being used.
    Well-structured code which uses lots of subroutines and effective parameter passing will be considerably shorter than code that is repetitious and poorly-structured. More code does not mean better code.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sagederby)
    The number of pages you have done does not determine the grade. With carefully selected test runs, sample screen designs, etc it is possible to produce a grade A project that is well under 200 pages long - depending on the complexity of code and the language being used.
    Well-structured code which uses lots of subroutines and effective parameter passing will be considerably shorter than code that is repetitious and poorly-structured. More code does not mean better code.
    Who said anything about more being a better grade lol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sagederby)
    Very true; unfortunately, if you are overambitious and accidentally choose a huge project, your code will inevitably also be huge. :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    How much time (roughly, in hours) do you think you guys spent on each of the written sections?

ReputationRep:
    How much tests do people think are necessary? So far I have done 24. I've heard of people doing more than 100 before though :/
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by GameuK)
    How much tests do people think are necessary? So far I have done 24. I've heard of people doing more than 100 before though :/
    So far I have done a whopping... 17!

ReputationRep:
    So far I have done a whopping... 17!

I've done 20. Anywhere between 15-20 is enough. You just need to do them correctly and test all kinds of data really.

ReputationRep:
    My deadline is in 10 minutes and i've just put together my project. 168 pages. 53 of them were testing. aha, i've probably done it dead wrong. :\
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by xaaroncx)
    My deadline is in 10 minutes and i've just put together my project. 168 pages. 53 of them were testing. aha, i've probably done it dead wrong. :\
    Well done for getting it done and out of the way! Is it a relief?

ReputationRep:
    Well done for getting it done and out of the way! Is it a relief?
    Yea it is, hopefully i get a relatively good grade, let myself down during analysis and design so knocked alot of f, but tried so hard with the coding and post-coding. feels like alot of weight is off my shoulder and can now focus on alot of my other subjects as you all may know that the coursework for Computing is tedious aha

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 28, 2011
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.