The Student Room Group

UCL or Southampton or Sheffield for Electronic and Electrical Engineering ?

I am stuck between these 3 choices

1) UCL
Pros : One of the top Universities of the World
Cons : Expensive

2)Southampton
Pros : Higher ranked for Electronic and Electrical Engineering in the UK and cheaper than UCL
Cons : Not as highly ranked overall internationally as UCL

3)Sheffield
Pros : I could get some scholarship here
Cons : Not ranked that well compared to the others

Which one do you think I should choose, I really want to choose UCL but it might be a little too expensive it that case can you please guide me towards some external scholarships ( if any ) for Pakistani students?

Thanks,
Reply 1
Honestly, don't look at league tables. I went to a UCL taster course in EEE and it was pretty amazing. The only questionable issue I have is that the majority of graduates went onto work in London's Financial District (the guy showed us a pie chart breakdown). Southampton's best course by far is EEE.

If you care about league tables, you may have of applied to Warwick for EEE. As for UCL being too expensive, they count for that in the amount of money the student loan will provide you with (often £7.5k inc fees out of london and 10k in london).

I don't know about Sheffield. All I know about that is that the guy who was a judge on Robot Wars lectures there. This guy:

http://staffwww.dcs.shef.ac.uk/people/N.Sharkey/
Reply 2
Just a heads up, Southampton don't do EEE. You have to specify either Electrical Engineering or Electronic Engineering.
Reply 3
Original post by Samtooth
Just a heads up, Southampton don't do EEE. You have to specify either Electrical Engineering or Electronic Engineering.

yes sorry I have an offer for electrical engineering at Southampton

If you care about league tables, you may have of applied to Warwick for EEE. As for UCL being too expensive, they count for that in the amount of money the student loan will provide you with (often £7.5k inc fees out of london and 10k in london).
I am an international I dont think I can get student loans? And I dont think I would want to be in a huge debt when I graduate I have good grades I was thinking more of some scholarships or some financial aid or something that ?

Any more suggestions?

Thanks,
Reply 4
Original post by SpEeDyZ
yes sorry I have an offer for electrical engineering at Southampton

I am an international I dont think I can get student loans? And I dont think I would want to be in a huge debt when I graduate I have good grades I was thinking more of some scholarships or some financial aid or something that ?

Any more suggestions?

Thanks,

Bristol is your answer then. If you live in Europe then you're entitled to an E3 scholarship, as well as a Toshiba scholarship (EU and outside EU) whcih you can apply for. I think if you e-mail the department, they'll tell you more.
Reply 5
well the thing is I dont have an offer from Bristol.. just these 3 universities
Reply 6
bump .. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest