Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at a proof of the formula for the area of a surface of revolution:

The points P (x,y) and Q (x+dx, y+dy) are close together. The surface area generated by an arc between P and Q (length ds), rotated about the x-axis, is dS.

dS = surface area of a cylinder = circumference x height
    dS = 2 \pi y \times ds

S=\int 2 \pi y\ ds

with some more work,

S = 2 \pi \int y \sqrt {1+ (\frac{dy}{ds})^2}\ dx

What I want to know is this: if P and Q are so close together that ds is a straight horizontal line, then ds must be the same as dx, so surely dx could also be used as the height of the cylinder, giving S=\int 2 \pi y\ dx. Why is this not possible?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by bzzz)
    with some more work,

S = 2 \pi \int y \sqrt {1+ (\frac{dy}{ds})^2}\ dx
    I think you mean:

S = 2 \pi \int y \sqrt {1+ (\frac{dy}{dx})^2}\ dx

What I want to know is this: if P and Q are so close together that ds is a straight horizontal line, then ds must be the same as dx, so surely dx could also be used as the height of the cylinder, giving S=\int 2 \pi y\ dx. Why is this not possible?
    ds is not horizontal; it's tangential to the curve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    I think you mean:

S = 2 \pi \int y \sqrt {1+ (\frac{dy}{dx})^2}\ dx

ds is not horizontal; it's tangential to the curve.
    Surely if P and Q were so close that they were practically on top of each other, then ds would be horizontal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bzzz)
    Surely if P and Q were so close that they were practically on top of each other, then ds would be horizontal?
    Why would it be horizontal, in your mind? Think about the definition of the derivative (it uses the same principles). If this were the case and all lines between two infinitely close points were horizontal, then if we were to consider the derivative of any function at any point, the answer would always be zero. Which is obviously not true.

The line ds has the same gradient as the curve does at the point (x,y).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    Why would it be horizontal, in your mind? Think about the definition of the derivative (it uses the same principles). If this were the case and all lines between two infinitely close points were horizontal, then if we were to consider the derivative of any function at any point, the answer would always be zero. Which is obviously not true.

The line ds has the same gradient as the curve does at the point (x,y).
    Alright. Does that mean the proof isn't correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bzzz)
    Alright. Does that mean the proof isn't correct?
    The result at the end is correct (if you correct the mistake/typo that Ghostwalker pointed out) and the work leading up to it is fine, I think. I'm not too sure what would constitute a "proof" in this case as I'm not too sure how much rigour is required. You've certainly shown it to be true, with an assumption or two along the way, at the very least.

The statement that ds is horizontal is definitely not correct.

ReputationRep:
    The result at the end is correct (if you correct the mistake/typo that Ghostwalker pointed out) and the work leading up to it is fine, I think. I'm not too sure what would constitute a "proof" in this case as I'm not too sure how much rigour is required. You've certainly shown it to be true, with an assumption or two along the way, at the very least.

The statement that ds is horizontal is definitely not correct.
    If ds is not horizontal, then wouldn't the use of a cylinder to calculate S be incorrect?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bzzz)
    If ds is not horizontal, then wouldn't the use of a cylinder to calculate S be incorrect?
    Hmm, so maybe you shouldn't use cylinders and rather use frustrums? It's easy to determine the general formula for the slant-face surface areas of them.

I think it would be best to wait for someone with a better knowledge of this than me to come and help out.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, so maybe you shouldn't use cylinders and rather use frustrums? It's easy to determine the general formula for the slant-face surface areas of them.

I think it would be best to wait for someone with a better knowledge of this than me to come and help out.
    Yeah, all the other proofs of this I've seen use frustrums rather than cylinders, which makes more sense.
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by bzzz)
    As Farhan.Hanif93 said, you actually have a frustrum of a cone when considering a small change in s.

I'm not going to type out all the maths, but you basically end up with.

\displaystyle\frac{\delta S}{\delta s}= 2\pi y + \delta s c_s

Where c_s is a constant dependent on s.

Then taking the limit as \delta s goes to zero, you end up with the original formula you had.

\displaystyle\frac{dS}{ds}= 2\pi y

Which is what you generated from considering a cylinder rather than a frustrum of a cone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    As Farhan.Hanif93 said, you actually have a frustrum of a cone when considering a small change in s.

I'm not going to type out all the maths, but you basically end up with.

\displaystyle\frac{\delta S}{\delta s}= 2\pi y + \delta s c_s

Where c_s is a constant dependent on s.

Then taking the limit as \delta s goes to zero, you end up with the original formula you had.

\displaystyle\frac{dS}{ds}= 2\pi y

Which is what you generated from considering a cylinder rather than a frustrum of a cone.
    Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 2, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.