Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tiredness, Depression or something else? watch

ReputationRep:
    deleted.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in basically the same boat as you mate, even training in a similar way. What I was told is that the exercise and a healthy diet would act as a 'pick me up' and to be fair it did for quite a while but that seems to have worn off and my studying has definitely suffered. I can't concentrate because I'm tired all the time and find it tough to focus on tasks.
    I reckon it might have something to do with me focusing too much on the gym or training and my day seems to revolve around that, so everything else seems boring and tiring but I don't know whether you have the same problem in that regard?

ReputationRep:
    Go to the doctor and get some tests done. You might have anaemia or something else wrong with you. From your post you don't sound particularly depressed, but you might as well mention it to the doctor and see what they say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bradster)
    Sup TSR,

TL: DR. Always feel tired, maybe depressed, advice please?

I have had this for a while now, constant tiredness. I get 8-10 hours sleep per night, I do weight training 4 times a week, running 3 evenings a week and am starting swimming and cycling soon as I am training for a Triathlon. The tiredness kicks in around 3pm in the afternoon. I just get really drowsy and just feel the need to lay on my bed for a couple of hours. My eating habits are very good, 3 eggs and 2 slices of wholemeal toast every morning. Tuna, bit of pasta, lots of bananas for my fruit intake, grilled chicken and lean meat in the evening. I don't eat junk food, if I do it would be the odd lamb donor or burger and pint with my Uni mates for lunch.

I went to the doctor a year ago because I thought I was depressed, due to a rough break up with my ex. Took anti-depressants for a month and then sort of gave up taking them cause I got it into my head that I wasn't depressed, just a little sad about the break up. I have noticed I haven't really been the same person I was once, but thought that might just be me growing up.

I would like to think I am not depressed but I read tiredness could be linked to it. I do occasionally feel like my life is in the crapper but I just think happy thoughts and I'm okay for another day. My life really isn't that bad, I have lots of friends, no girls on the go right now but I'm not getting too hung up on that. I just don't really know what else I can do to get out of this routine, as I said I go to the gym loads and wrap my head into fitness but it doesn't seem to help. Any advice, please?
    I'd go to the doctor if i were you, it may not be depression, it could be something else such as low iron levels that are making you feel tired in this way.

ReputationRep:
    Yes tiredness is a sign of depression, however it is a sign of many things, You have to take into consideration of all the other symptoms. For example tiredness could also be due to : Anaemia, Diabetes. (two off the top of my head)

Best off going to a doctor as there really isn't need to self diagnose incase its something small or something serious.

ReputationRep:
    deleted.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.