Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikkiliannaa)
    Hey, I'm starting the psychology course this September and was just wondering on a more general note when courses start? The website says the semester starts on the 24th but I don't move in until the 23rd and I'm worried I won't have time to find my feet!

And also more specific to psychology, how much work do you do per week? I know there's 2 lectures and 1 seminar but obviously a lot more non-contact time is needed and it'd be great to have a rough idea!

Thanks! :banana:
    I know I'm not the person you quoted but I can help with the first part of your query. Yes officially your course starts on the 24th, however in theory that week is more likely to be for introductory sessions like a talk about the department, a library induction and registration. You may start normal lectures towards the end of that week but you'll definitley have the introductory stuff as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikkiliannaa)
    Hey, I'm starting the psychology course this September and was just wondering on a more general note when courses start? The website says the semester starts on the 24th but I don't move in until the 23rd and I'm worried I won't have time to find my feet!

And also more specific to psychology, how much work do you do per week? I know there's 2 lectures and 1 seminar but obviously a lot more non-contact time is needed and it'd be great to have a rough idea!

Thanks! :banana:
    Stuff will start on the 24th but this will just be registration/introductory lecture (where they'll introduce the course and lecturers) and meeting your tutor. You'll start lectures that week I think, but they won't be taxing at all. Also, all your flatmates will be going to lectures as well, and honestly having things to do in the first day helps to settle you in to university as you have lots of things to fill your time with and have no time to even consider being homesick. Plus it gives you the opportunity to meet your coursemates, which I'd advise, as I didn't really get to know anyone until second year because I was rubbish at talking to people, and it's always nice to have people to chat to.

How much work do I do a week? Hahahaha. Well, first year and second year were two completely different ball games. I'd advise you (and anyone, really) NOT to stress out in first year. Do your essays on time, do your reading etc, although you don't have to do all of it, go to lectures and seminars, but at least in the first few weeks, concentrate most on making yourself feel at home and getting used to university life. In first year, I didn't have much contact time, and to be honest I didn't do a huge amount of extra stuff. I'd probably spend an hour or so doing the reading for a particular lecture, although not always before. I always spend more time preparing for seminars (you can't really get away with not doing the work, haha), and you'll be set homeworks to do for your RDA modules if they're staying the same as they were for us, which should only take about 15-30 minutes each. Although when it comes to deadlines and stuff, it increases a lot. But don't stress out about it, and don't let other people stress you out about it. One big thing I had to contend with was people posting about how much work they were doing on facebook and stuff, but do as much is enough for you, and ignore everyone else. Just make sure you're enjoying it, and take a night off if you need to. After all, it's lovely to get a great mark in first year, but all you really need is 40%.

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone tell me about the business school at UEA?
    Is it any good?
    Thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The UEA is fantastic, having lived in Norfolk all my life I can safely say it's the only decent part of it. Great in the rankings, the campus is GORGEOUS - lovely mix of greenery, easy to get into Norwich city center and the LCR has brought some of my favorite bands ever (I'm into alternative rock).

Can't say the same for Norfolk in general, Norwich is ok, but I would be biased having been living here 18 years and holding my bad experiences down to the place as opposed to people. This is why I'm applying up north to Manchester/Newcastle/Liverpool. But for someone who's been admist the rush of a big city, they'd probably like the UEA and Norwich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dpdr)
    The UEA is fantastic, having lived in Norfolk all my life I can safely say it's the only decent part of it. Great in the rankings, the campus is GORGEOUS - lovely mix of greenery, easy to get into Norwich city center and the LCR has brought some of my favorite bands ever (I'm into alternative rock).

Can't say the same for Norfolk in general, Norwich is ok, but I would be biased having been living here 18 years and holding my bad experiences down to the place as opposed to people. This is why I'm applying up north to Manchester/Newcastle/Liverpool. But for someone who's been admist the rush of a big city, they'd probably like the UEA and Norwich.
    Aww, I love Norwich! But then I've lived in Aberdeen for 12 years and I know how you can get so bored of your hometown and just hate it, I can't wait to leave

ReputationRep:
    What can you tell about Philosophy, Languages and History of Art?

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone tell me anything about History and Literature, please?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 15, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.