Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Greetings. First of all i'm new to the forum and i'm so happy that i found this place I'm an international student located in Turkey. My first degree was a BSc with a Computer Engineering Major. But unfortunately my GPA is 2.66 out of 4.0 and it's equivalent is B- in my school.

I want to become a barrister more than anything at the moment. I first thought of GDL/CPE programme, but i don't think with this GPA, i'll be able to get a Certificate of Academic Standing from Bar Standards Board. Since most of the schools seem to ask for it.

Then i searched for some Senior Status LLB programmes. Some of the really good schools ask for a US GPA of 3.2 (since they don't usually have Turkey listed), and i've been searching for some decent / below decent schools in UK.

The thing is, i don't really care where i do my LLB or GDL/CPE. I just wanna get accepted to any school. What would you guys suggest? Which schools should i apply for? Would i have a chance of getting in with this GPA?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    A 2.66 GPA is very low. Are you working on the US system? If so, then a 2.6 GPA equates to a third class degree or below. The grades are as follows:

First class 3.6 - 4.0 GPA (usually means over 69.5%, though a UK first is generally 70% and over)
    Upper second (2:1) is 3.3 - 3.59 (59.5 - 69%)
    Lower second (2:2) is 3.0 - 3.29 (49.5 - 59%)
    Third class is 44.5 to 49%
    Pass is 39.5 - 44%

These are the figures that the Pupillage Portal work from. Your 2.6 is likely to be a third class degree as it certainly doesn't fit into the prescribed minimum grade of a 2:2 or above to be considered for a) pupillage and b) the GDL. You might get onto a senior status LLB, but it would depend on the university.

Becoming a barrister is extremely difficult even with stellar academics, and your academics so far aren't even average.

What jurisdiction were you hoping to practice in?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your answer Seven. I believe it's somewhat equivalent to US GPA levels. I want to study Commercial Law, and work as a barrister in UK. I know it is hard, and i know i can do it. But i unfortunately had a really bad first year and a half in college because of medical issues. Because of that in my second year my GPA was 0.7. But i dragged it back to 2.66 in last two years. That was the best i could do.

I know i can't really apply for GDL. I'm actually expecting to go in a 2 year LLB with a Senior Status, but even if i don't get accepted to it, could i apply for a 3 year LLB undergraduate program as a postgraduate? Since High School degrees in Turkey are not deemed equivalent to UK, i believe some colleges say that you're automatically eligible for an undergrad LLB programme if you already have an undergrad degree. But if you just have your high school diploma from Turkey without an undergrad, you must also spend a Foundation Year. With that it might go up to 4 years. I definitely don't want that.

What schools might i get accepted to in the U.K.? Because if i get accepted and do a LLB, i know i will graduate with an honours

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I am sure universities here will accept you for a three year LLB, you need to research which ones you'd like to go to and contact them directly about your specific circumstances.

By the way, 'with honours' just means that you got 360 or more credits - it doesn't actually mean you did well - it is entirely possible to have a 3rd class degree with honours.

ReputationRep:
    Oh Thank you. And sorry for the mistype. I meant a good honours degree But i didn't know that with honours meant just graduating with 360 or more credits :O Simply because in my school it goes like this: 2.0-2.99 = Average, 3.0 - 3.5 = Honour Student, 3.5+ = First Class Honour Student. Must've mistaken one word for another

By the way do you happen to know if i could acquire a Certificate of Academic Standing with this GPA? Since i contacted BSB and they just asked info about the school & department i graduated from. Entry requirements, about the teaching etc. They wanted to know if it was equivalent to a UK honours standard. Well i graduated with 127 credits, but it's a 4 year college and each class is worth around 3-4 credits in my school. If i applied for a Comparability Statement from NARIC, and if they said that my degree is equivalent to a British Bachelor (Honours) degree standard, could i obtain a Certificate?

and thanks for your help Seven

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I know nothing about the Turkish education system - or whether your credits are equivalent to English ones - it doesn't sound like it, but as I said, I don't know.

The only people who will be able to tell you whether you will get a certificate of standing are the BSB themselves. You will probably need some sort of official recognition of your degree in any case, so you may well wish to contact NARIC to find out and obtain a comparability statement.

ReputationRep:
    Well BSB told me that NARIC states that my degree is equivalent to a Bachelors, but they told me that they need to know if it was equivalent to an honours. So that's why they asked for additional evidence about my department & college.

I'll contact NARIC nevertheless. Cheers mate

ReputationRep:
    Okay, my turn to ask a question
    I got accepted to BPP for the GDL.
    I received my BA Hons. from a top notch university from Canada.
    My GPA isn't stellar.
    SO the question is, how easy or likely is it for me to get a Certificate of Academic Standing from the SRA?

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys!
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acinonyx)
    Greetings. First of all i'm new to the forum and i'm so happy that i found this place I'm an international student located in Turkey. My first degree was a BSc with a Computer Engineering Major. But unfortunately my GPA is 2.66 out of 4.0 and it's equivalent is B- in my school.

I want to become a barrister more than anything at the moment. I first thought of GDL/CPE programme, but i don't think with this GPA, i'll be able to get a Certificate of Academic Standing from Bar Standards Board. Since most of the schools seem to ask for it.

Then i searched for some Senior Status LLB programmes. Some of the really good schools ask for a US GPA of 3.2 (since they don't usually have Turkey listed), and i've been searching for some decent / below decent schools in UK.

The thing is, i don't really care where i do my LLB or GDL/CPE. I just wanna get accepted to any school. What would you guys suggest? Which schools should i apply for? Would i have a chance of getting in with this GPA?

Thanks in advance
    You do not have a 3rd but you have a 2:2, check this website : http://85.92.87.111/~artcypr/comparability.html

I think that if you apply to City university, you'll be accepted for the graduate LLB.

But the problem is that law firms will look at you first undergraduate degree ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malone17)
    Okay, my turn to ask a question
    I got accepted to BPP for the GDL.
    I received my BA Hons. from a top notch university from Canada.
    My GPA isn't stellar.
    SO the question is, how easy or likely is it for me to get a Certificate of Academic Standing from the SRA?

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys!
    thanks!
    Hey sorry for bumping in so late but this comes from someone who recently got a certificate of academic standing from the SRA. I had a 3 year bachelors from a g08 Australian University, grades weren't really impressive but still managed to get the COAS. Btw if you are already done with your gdl I would appreciate the help. Cheers and all the best!

ReputationRep:
    Can you please tell us how to get a COAS? I got the following information from a forum here on studentroom;

To obtain a certificate of academic standing SRA will need to see the following documents:

- a certified true copy of the degree certificate

- a certified true copy of the degree transcript

These should be sent to Caseworking and Applications, Solicitors Regulation Authority, Ipsley Court, Berrington Close, Redditch, Worcestershire B98 0TD.

On satisfactory validation a certificate of academic standing will be issued and you will be eligible to commence the GDL.

Is this information correct? Is there any fee involved with the COAS? If it is, can you please tell how to submit it?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 15, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.