The Student Room Group

Is Psychology a 'weak' subject at A level and Degree level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Don't agree at all.

The study of behaviour and 'the mind' aka Psychology, is not the reason for our development by a long stretch. The mind itself is, yes, but the study of the mind, no.

Yey i've got godspeed on my side :smile:

Everyone seemed to be saying that they agreed with this nonsense for some reason...

i can see how a better knowledge of things like memory and mental illness have been very beneficial, but not integral to our development.

One way i would agree though, but applying the scientific method to education could easily ensure that the flynn effect keeps upping generation after generation's IQ, which would have clear consequences in the future...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by nuodai
This thread comes up quite a lot and people always say that Oxbridge don't like it, but I'd beg to differ. A publication by Cambridge [here] says it might be suitable for some courses. And if anecdotal evidence is anything to go by, they based my offer on Maths, FMaths and Psychology (when they could have chosen French instead of or as well as Psychology).

Neither really contribute to maths so I doubt they really cared.
Reply 62
Original post by Jacke02
Yey i've got godspeed on my side :smile:

Everyone seemed to be saying that they agreed with this nonsense for some reason...

i can see how a better knowledge of things like memory and mental illness have been very beneficial, but not integral to our development.

Of course the study of Psychology is not needed for our development. I believe we can definitely improve our development through Psychology, for example, I use memory techniques like the method of loci that have really helped me with my exams.

:rolleyes:
Reply 63
Original post by RobertWhite
Of course the study of Psychology is not needed for our development. I believe we can definitely improve our development through Psychology, for example, I use memory techniques like the method of loci that have really helped me with my exams.

:rolleyes:

That's completely different to driving our development from 'cavemen' or whatever gemma said ... :s-smilie: which occured before that technique was thought of.

I mentioned how the study of education, on the edit of the post you quoted, could have massive effects. But the other post was wayyy exxagerated.
Original post by Foo.mp3
I find it an interesting subject that does indeed offer the potential to develop strong skills e.g. research/analysis - but a few friends read Psychology and found it to be a dead end and my sister elected not to pursue it having initially been very interested but then having conducted a fair bit of research into opportunities aye :s-smilie:

I think the opportunities are there if you make yourself available for them. Naturally this involves focusing on the most employable aspects of the degree (e.g. statistical analysis, research methods, report writing, lab skills, psychometrics) and get the experience as a student to back them up.

The problem with Psych is a lot of students are incredibly naive when it comes to the graduate market place. They waste money at **** universities or spend their three years expecting to walk straight into an assistant psych position. Ain't gonna happen.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Neither really contribute to maths so I doubt they really cared.

My point was more that if they could choose between French (generally well-respected) or Psychology (supposedly a soft subject) to base my offer on, they'd have chosen French, or both. [And FWIW I got in for Computer Science with Maths rather than Maths, for which French and Psychology are probably of about equal use.]
Reply 66
Original post by Foo.mp3
I find it an interesting subject that does indeed offer the potential to develop strong skills e.g. research/analysis - but a few friends read Psychology and found it to be a dead end and my sister elected not to pursue it having initially been very interested but then having conducted a fair bit of research into opportunities aye :s-smilie:

I plan on becoming a fully fledged clinical or research psychologist. So I guess for me at least, it is not a dead end. I still think it gives you skills for many sectors of the workplace, it is a very broad degree.
wut.

Behaviourism is based on behaviorism. The entire field of Psychology is not. I have no idea why you think this. Open a textbook and you'll find that 95% of the content is not behaviourism.

Radical behaviourism is not neccesarily discredited, but is instead largely not accepted as arguably the approaches of cognitive psychology are much more able to explain human behaviour. I suspect this is the field that you are referring to. You will struggle to find a psychologist that subscribes to this view. They're a dying breed.

Overall, however, the core aspects of behaviourism are empirically tried and tested and are heavily engrained in all walks of life. Learning by association and reinforcement is everywhere and is essentially the cornerstone of all societies. These principals are far from discredited. Probably one of the most empirically validated concepts in psychology if anything. These two forms of learning are essentially how learning in the nervous system is represented.

Have you not heard about Chomsky's destruction of Skinner?
Reply 68
Original post by beepbeeprichie
Have you not heard about Chomsky's destruction of Skinner?

Please elaborate!
Personally, I'm glad I did Psychology - it gives me the scientific skills needed to pursue that type of scientific career, but also essay writing about controversial topics within psychology allow me to still write an argument decently. I chose it because it seemed a nice balance, I enjoyed it at A-Level and it was something I seemed naturally good at and had a pure interest for.

However, I do believe getting a BSc degree will definitely stand you in better stead than a BA. BSc degrees are usually BPS accredited which probably means a person's employability would improve (although in today's job market, you can never be sure).

I do feel a bit like a sheep at times though, feeling like every other person is taking psych. On the other hand, I am most definitely thinking about doing a postgrad in a specific area that I enjoy, or even taking a Law Conversion. The skills learnt from Psychology I'm sure can help with a degree such as that, and Law has always intrigued me - I just didn't think I could hack it when I was 16/17 and mking my decisions, I guess.

Oh well, I've got a couple more years to fully decide anyway.

EDIT: Negged for this, really? Get a life.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by RobertWhite
Please elaborate!

Basically Skinner thought that all language was picked up through positive reinforcement. For example children learnt grammar by using words and if they got the grammar 'right' then they would be praised (=positive reinforcement) a. In this way Skinner thought that children learned language (=a classic behaviourist theory). But he was wrong and Chomsky proved this in a well known argument called the poverty of stimulus argument. Essentially Chomsky showed that it was impossible that this was how children learned language because their parents didn't provide them with another examples of correct language in order for them to pick up the grammar. Therefore there must be some hardwired grammatical rules.
Reply 71
I see it as the most applied science.
Physics is applied maths. Chemistry applied physics. Biology applied chemistry and Psychology applied biology.
Reply 72
Original post by emiliee21
I think its just average, although I have seen that Cambridge consider it to be a weak A level

They consider mos things "weak", and every subject you do is weak if done at a state school
Flawed as in still based on Skinner's behaviourism which is widely discredited.

I'm guessing you're an AS-level student who has only just heard about Skinner? You can't base your whole opinion on a subject as wide as Psychology on one study.
Reply 74
Feel free to elaborate.

Well ECT is hardly humane.
Reply 75
Some subjects there's just a not a great deal of useful stuff you can put into an A level... IMO it's one of those subjects.

degree level is a different story
Reply 76
Original post by Ventura7
They consider mos things "weak", and every subject you do is weak if done at a state school

But they don't put Maths, Futher Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology on a list saying 'these A levels iz rubbish'
Reply 77
I have no formal education in psychology but that doesn't mean I don't know its bull****.

So you read one critique on a very small area of psychology, and also you remember that many years ago the now stringent rules on the welfare of those taking part in experiments were non-existent, and you come to such a damning and certain conclusion? I would say you lack even a basic understanding of the subject, believing yourself worthy enough to criticize a whole field of science based on the words of one man (directed to a very tiny element of the subject) and try and throw in some moralistic crap to add the 'piece de resistance' to the pseudo-intellectual **** you have just come out with?
Original post by adam_zed
So you read one critique on a very small area of psychology, and also you remember that many years ago the now stringent rules on the welfare of those taking part in experiments were non-existent, and you come to such a damning and certain conclusion? I would say you lack even a basic understanding of the subject, believing yourself worthy enough to criticize a whole field of science based on the words of one man (directed to a very tiny element of the subject) and try and throw in some moralistic crap to add the 'piece de resistance' to the pseudo-intellectual **** you have just come out with?

lol
Original post by emiliee21
I think its just average, although I have seen that Cambridge consider it to be a weak A level
Perhaps. But at the same time, Cambridge also teach it at undergraduate level (through Natural Sciences and PPS) and beyond.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending