Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Psychology a 'weak' subject at A level and Degree level? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    So you read one critique on a very small area of psychology, and also you remember that many years ago the now stringent rules on the welfare of those taking part in experiments were non-existent, and you come to such a damning and certain conclusion? I would say you lack even a basic understanding of the subject, believing yourself worthy enough to criticize a whole field of science based on the words of one man (directed to a very tiny element of the subject) and try and throw in some moralistic crap to add the 'piece de resistance' to the pseudo-intellectual **** you have just come out with?
    lol

(Original post by emiliee21)
    I think its just average, although I have seen that Cambridge consider it to be a weak A level
    Perhaps. But at the same time, Cambridge also teach it at undergraduate level (through Natural Sciences and PPS) and beyond.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beepbeeprichie)
    lol
    :bl:

ReputationRep:
    I know a girl who takes Psychology and two other subjects (sciences I believe), and she got a conditional offer from Oxford to study Philosophy or PPE (I can't be sure).

A lot of my friends who take psychology say its not hard to understand the topics, and they find the subject interesting, but very hard to score marks..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigosoul)
    I know a girl who takes Psychology and two other subjects (sciences I believe), and she got a conditional offer from Oxford to study Philosophy or PPE (I can't be sure).

A lot of my friends who take psychology say its not hard to understand the topics, and they find the subject interesting, but very hard to score marks..
    It does seem hard to score marks. I got 100% in the last exam but that was 65/85, only 76% raw marks. There were a few bits in the exam I could certainly have done better in but I knew everything back to front, literally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertWhite)
    It does seem hard to score marks. I got 100% in the last exam but that was 65/85, only 76% raw marks. There were a few bits in the exam I could certainly have done better in but I knew everything back to front, literally.
    I know what you mean, my friends were really confident for their psych papers, some even felt that unit 1 was almost a guaranteed A. But the results came out, and everyone was shocked Now we are in our last semester and many are sitting for all 4 units in the june exam session.

Congrads on your marks btw, very impressive! :adore::adore:

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean, my friends were really confident for their psych papers, some even felt that unit 1 was almost a guaranteed A. But the results came out, and everyone was shocked Now we are in our last semester and many are sitting for all 4 units in the june exam session.

Congrads on your marks btw, very impressive! :adore::adore:
    Thanks, I wouldn't feel too bad about retaking the modules, I have one friend who is doing EVERY exam plus some retakes from AS in May/June; he has around 15 exams :eek:

ReputationRep:
    It's not AS respected as things like history or maths at a level. At degree level, I think most things at top universities are considered pretty equal, really, no matter how much people try to argue that science is harder or that geography is just "colouring in" or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Have you not heard about Chomsky's destruction of Skinner?
    Yeah, like I said, cognitive approaches are largely favoured over behaviouristic explanations of behaviour, especially in the world of linguistics.

Doesn't change anything that I said though, does it? Behaviourism is a very small area of psychology that has contributed significantly validated concepts. Open a Psych textbook and 95% of it won't be behaviourism. Hell, cognitive psychology (the most contemporary area of psychology) was formed in a backlash against radical behaviourism with drastically differing principal concepts. Where do you think Chomsky is getting his arguments from? Cognitive psychology.

To say that Skinners theory of language has been discredited and therefore the whole area of Psychology has been discredited is utter nonsense. It doesn't even mean that behaviourism has been discredited.

Do you actually know of anything outside of behaviourism?

Basically Skinner thought that all language was picked up through positive reinforcement. For example children learnt grammar by using words and if they got the grammar 'right' then they would be praised (=positive reinforcement) a. In this way Skinner thought that children learned language (=a classic behaviourist theory). But he was wrong and Chomsky proved this in a well known argument called the poverty of stimulus argument. Essentially Chomsky showed that it was impossible that this was how children learned language because their parents didn't provide them with another examples of correct language in order for them to pick up the grammar. Therefore there must be some hardwired grammatical rules.
    Radical behaviourism =/= behaviourism =/= psychology.

Arguably radical behaviourism is not accepted. However, even in this specific example, it is clear that behaviourist principals are involved to some extent in the learning of language.

(Original post by Quady)
    Well ECT is hardly humane.
    1. I don't see any psychologists doing ECT.
    2. ECT in the modern sense is done under GA and isn't traumatic at all.
    3. ECT is one procedure in one field (psychiatry) that is related to psychology. You can't discredit the entire field of Psychology based on this, especially when the majority of psychology has nothing to do with mental illness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Yeah, like I said, cognitive approaches are largely favoured over behaviouristic explanations of behaviour, especially in the world of linguistics.

Doesn't change anything that I said though, does it? Behaviourism is a very small area of psychology that has contributed significantly validated concepts. Open a Psych textbook and 95% of it won't be behaviourism. Hell, cognitive psychology (the most contemporary area of psychology) was formed in a backlash against radical behaviourism with drastically differing principal concepts. Where do you think Chomsky is getting his arguments from? Cognitive psychology.

To say that Skinners theory of language has been discredited and therefore the whole area of Psychology has been discredited is utter nonsense. It doesn't even mean that behaviourism has been discredited.

Do you actually know of anything outside of behaviourism?

Radical behaviourism =/= behaviourism =/= psychology.

Arguably radical behaviourism is not accepted. However, even in this specific example, it is clear that behaviourist principals are involved to some extent in the learning of language.

1. I don't see any psychologists doing ECT.
    2. ECT in the modern sense is done under GA and isn't traumatic at all.
    3. ECT is one procedure in one field (psychiatry) that is related to psychology. You can't discredit the entire field of Psychology based on this, especially when the majority of psychology has nothing to do with mental illness.
    ECT is only used as a last resort now and not in the sadistic ways in was once used. We now understand it's only a short term solution for serious situations and the long term implications of it. How they do it these days is humane, and the person must give their full consent.

Apart from that yeah, it isn't even psychology.

ReputationRep:

I got into cambridge for PPS with Psych A Level. Its not bad to take, and i definitely wouldn't have gotten in without taking psychology a level, as it gives you a lot to say in your PS and my psych teacher told me to enter some essay competitions for cambridge. I don't really do very well at a level tests, i've got to resit psyb3...

So if anyone doing GCSEs is on here, don't dismiss doing psychology just because tsr people think its 'weak'. Saying that, its better to take it with some traditional subjects to get a more rounded and broad education.

ReputationRep:
    ECT is only used as a last resort now and not in the sadistic ways in was once used. We now understand it's only a short term solution for serious situations and the long term implications of it. How they do it these days is humane, and the person must give their full consent.

Apart from that yeah, it isn't even psychology.
    Not always, See Section 63 of The Mental Health Act - 'treatment not requiring consent' - including ECT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Call me Bob)
    Not always, See Section 63 of The Mental Health Act - 'treatment not requiring consent' - including ECT.
    That's basically if they're not mentally capable of making a decision. Am I right? The point is, it's done humanely now, not to 'quieten' patients and the likes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ventura7)
    They consider mos things "weak", and every subject you do is weak if done at a state school
    Not in that way, they have a list of all the A level subjects, and psychology comes under the category of ''preferred to be taken as a 4th subject''.

I can't speak for other unis though

ReputationRep:
    That's what I saw, do you know where Oxford stand on it?
    I don't sorry, I cant navigate myself around their website haha

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.