Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    I think that you are amazing. I am also disappointed that you have been given thumbs down. You must have understandably assumed that TSR would have contained some of the most supportive people in your aim. Just because they or most people might not understand, or more importantly try to understand, quantum physics at the age of 13 doesn't mean that you won't- and certainly doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to read about it. Yes, maybe they are concerned that you might end up burnt out at the age of 18 but maybe they are also envious that you might go a long way with this. But don't be afraid to do this on your own terms rather than how other people might want you to progress - show people where your talent lies. Obviously, life will be even easier if you can balance this interest, which is not understood by most relatively dumb humans, with 'everyday' interests too. Best wishes , hope it makes you happy, if you're great at it make some money from it and friends from it.
    I love youuuuu~! haha! thank you so much ^_^ I will definatley do so! + I hope that you succeed in whatever you are doing (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh_Dey)
    You sound asian?

Hi, I'm 14... I recently chose my GCSE subjects and will do them next year...
    If you want to be a Cardiovasular sugeon then you have to be very good at Science, choose Triple Science because most Medical Schools look for that (I've been researching, I want to be a Doctor )

You sound passionate, don't give up. I had this ambition for a long time and it has really motivated me to study harder which is great since GCSEs are coming.

REVISE your KS3, Don't go onto GCSEs yet.
    Make sure you become very familiar with every subject, going into GCSEs will just confuse you. Trust me.

Here's a tip - Don't get too high on your hopes though, you might be very passionate and all that but when you actually do Quantum Physics right now you might give up. [Dream Killer]

[SIZE="5"] Good Luck [/SIZE]
    Thank you ! It's much appreciated good luck with your medicine dream and gcse's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyndon1504)
    It depends on when you want a mathematical or qualitive description of QM...
    The latter can be understood pretty easily from science publications, the former is more rigorous and an actual understanding however it depends on your mathematical ability
    and in fact, you only really need to be able to do calculus
    I disagree, partly. A qualitative description of QM is for the most part brief and puzzling because it leaves a lot of unanswered questions as most of it is quite counter-intuitive. How can something be in two places at once? Why does matter act like a wave etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesomesauce)
    I must disagree. Although feynman is a master teacher, and my hero of all time; I can safely say, owning his 'Red Books', those are not to be even considered by a 13 year old unless she is a damn genius.

There are many popular science books without the maths though about QM, good one also by feynman being Six Easy Pieces, just touching on some quantum aspects like the infamous double slit experiment!

Good luck! I wish I had your kind of passion at 13!
    Lol thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazydavy)
    Hello there, I love your enthusiasm and I don't understand why people are giving you such negative responses, also taking in mind you're only 13 - it's rather pathetic! It's great that you know you love science and quantum physics at such an early age and you should definitely explore your interest further. I'd suggest you start reading about the subject more and focus on the areas that really interest you - make sure you enjoy it! Mastering the KS3 level physics and then following the GCSE syllabus would be a good starting point so that you can get to grips with the basics of physics and hopefully then you can read into the concepts and theories explained further (this will really help with your future GCSE exam). If quantum physics interests you over the other areas in physics then keep reading about it while you master the basics and make sure you understand what you are reading about (if not then maybe you are pushing yourself too much!)

It is then all about reading books, reports and looking into current research and perhaps even coming up with a few ideas of your own. If you get this far and still enjoy it then kudos to you!

Enjoy your studies and good luck!
    Thank you ever so much! + good luck with your studies too <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilyking)
    next week you'll want to be lawyer, trust me

i went through this phase, i think we all have!
    i am not like you! I know what im destined for thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plastercaster)
    I'd like to second Marcus Chown's &quot;Quantum theory cannot hurt you&quot;- a good mathless text and it's not too dense (unlike much of Brian Greene's and Feynmann's stuff).

Sadly for a more full understanding you're going to need 5 more years of maths but I always found reading about relativity and QM really interesting even if it was only qualitative.

I'd encourage you to stick at it and ignore all these ar[SIZE=&quot;2&quot;]s[/SIZE]eholes trying to put you off. This thread has had some of the most unbelievable snobbery and d[SIZE=&quot;2&quot;]i[/SIZE]ckish behaviour i've seen on tsr. (that's a feat).
    Lol really? I'm not very sociable so I've never caused such a fuss before... I just wanted some advice ._. not a debate on whether I'll be the next Albert! but thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OkashiAddict)
    i am not like you! I know what im destined for thank you very much
    Destiny in a quantum mechanics thread :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insoms)
    Its because she can't understand it at age 13, not unless shes a Maths prodigy capable of degree level mathematics and with an understanding of basic Physics principles. And reading popsci and knowing some trivia isn't understanding it.

By all means indulge your interest, keep asking questions and thinking about how the world works. but keep it to general Physics. Going straight into Quantum Mechanics would be like someone who's never swam in their life and doesn't know how going &quot;I'm going to swim the channel by diving off a 50m diving board!&quot; One step at a time or you'll get nowhere.

Or if not nowhere you'll simply know the names of things and not what they actually are. Sure, you'll know what Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is, but not why its there, where did it come from, what are its implications, how and why does it work. You'll simply be able to regurgitate a laymans definition.

Don't run before you can walk
    That's not how I learn actually! When I come across an aspect of ssomething I don't understand - I'll research instantaneously until I know everything about it...

ReputationRep:
    That's not how I learn actually! When I come across an aspect of ssomething I don't understand - I'll research instantaneously until I know everything about it...
    Unfortunately you cannot do that with QM. You need SERIOUS maths to even touch the surface of the 'why' in it. Research as much as you want its fun. I think the reason you got a negative response is that many people are in your position, they want to learn more at a younger age, and don't like it when someone else thinks they're special. None of is special, just different.

From the ages of 12-15 I was fascinated with every part of physics, realised it may be a passion but not a dedication, I kept it as a hobby and now I am applying for medicine next year. Keep researching, go onto GCSE and A Level stuff, why not, do all of your other work PLUS anything else. Don't skip your other work...

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    [hQUOTE=Circadian_Rhythm;30660865]Unfortunately you cannot do that with QM. You need SERIOUS maths to even touch the surface of the 'why' in it. Research as much as you want its fun. I think the reason you got a negative response is that many people are in your position, they want to learn more at a younger age, and don't like it when someone else thinks they're special. None of is special, just different.

From the ages of 12-15 I was fascinated with every part of physics, realised it may be a passion but not a dedication, I kept it as a hobby and now I am applying for medicine next year. Keep researching, go onto GCSE and A Level stuff, why not, do all of your other work PLUS anything else. Don't skip your other work...

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Oh? Medicine! That's so cool! You sound like me in a way 8) good luck with your application

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u4m1r)
    ummm...?

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't work with Quantum Physics. If you don't understand an aspect Quantum is different in that theres not really anything you can reduce it down to to help you understand very easily. And even if you could, you'd have to research that because you wouldn't understand graduate level Physics, then in the research to understand that you wouldn't understand that either because it would be high A-level, and so on down through the ages until you reach a point where its just words and pointless. You haven't even done GCSE Maths or Physics yet but you want to tacklw one of the most challenging and abstract aspects of Physics.

If you really want to 'know everything about it' then read this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Road-Reality...1787948&sr=8-3

Have fun. It outlines the Maths in the first half needed to cover the advanced Physics which makes up the second half of the book. Only then can you access QM which is included. Even that despite being rigorous popsci won't give you a full understanding for that you'd need a degree and PhD in the subject. But since you claim to want to full understand it it should be just what you want.

Don't actually buy it by the way read it online, I'm trying to show you how stupid it is to say you want an understanding of it without any of the backing required. There are Maths graduates who couldn't keep up with the Maths in the book, and it is still popsci technically its not a textbook. I'm not claiming to understand the book fully either by the way, just as Quantum Physicists with 2 years of GCSE study, 2 years of A-level study, 4 years of degree study, a PhD and maybe jobs in Physics, and working for years afterwards on research in the area don't claim to fully understand Quantum Physics, then there is you a 13 year old girl.

ReputationRep:
    Gosh. People on this can be mean.
    Welcome to the Internet, get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't work with Quantum Physics. If you don't understand an aspect Quantum is different in that theres not really anything you can reduce it down to to help you understand very easily. And even if you could, you'd have to research that because you wouldn't understand graduate level Physics, then in the research to understand that you wouldn't understand that either because it would be high A-level, and so on down through the ages until you reach a point where its just words and pointless. You haven't even done GCSE Maths or Physics yet but you want to tacklw one of the most challenging and abstract aspects of Physics.

If you really want to 'know everything about it' then read this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Road-Reality...948&amp;sr=8-3

Have fun. It outlines the Maths in the first half needed to cover the advanced Physics which makes up the second half of the book. Only then can you access QM which is included. Even that despite being rigorous popsci won't give you a full understanding for that you'd need a degree and PhD in the subject. But since you claim to want to full understand it it should be just what you want.

Don't actually buy it by the way read it online, I'm trying to show you how stupid it is to say you want an understanding of it without any of the backing required. There are Maths graduates who couldn't keep up with the Maths in the book, and it is still popsci technically its not a textbook. I'm not claiming to understand the book fully either by the way, just as Quantum Physicists with 2 years of GCSE study, 2 years of A-level study, 4 years of degree study, a PhD and maybe jobs in Physics, and working for years afterwards on research in the area don't claim to fully understand Quantum Physics, then there is you a 13 year old girl.
    My gosh! When giving someone advice I'd always atleast make themselves feel good about it! But no. People like you come along! I didnt say I wanted to understand it but that I wanted TO BECOME MORE FAMILIAR with it ! A huge difference! Shove your pHDs ! I'm gonna continue with my passion !

ReputationRep:
    If you really want to 'know everything about it' then read this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Road-Reality...1787948&sr=8-3

You don't need to read Road to Reality to be able to learn about quantum mechanics. It's goal isn't teaching quantum mechanics, but more to do with quantum field theory and general relativity, which are different (although obviously quantum field theory is related).

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to burst your bubble,but trying to understand even the basic concepts of quantum physics/mechanics without GCSE maths/science is a ludicrously pointless endeavor.

Now go watch tv or something, before you get offended on the interwebs.

ReputationRep:
    I watched these shortly before my oxbridge interviews. I didn't understand what was going on, but it was interesting. Have fun.

http://vega.org.uk/video/subseries/8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stef90)
    Sorry to burst your bubble,but trying to understand even the basic concepts of quantum physics/mechanics without GCSE maths/science is a ludicrously pointless endeavor.

Now go watch tv or something, before you get offended on the interwebs.
    I've never said this to anyone but seriously STFU! and watch tv yourself!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.