Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OkashiAddict)
    Isn't it normal for someone of my age being interested in this subject? Why would you think I'm a troll~?! -Misaki cries-
    that cracked me up, i was going to say "how old are you, 12" but then i remembered you are..

if you're interested in it then go for it. it's very hard and i know you won't understand it but you can try if you want, it's up to you, i don't see what the problem is. i think you should just go into GCSE maths and physics AND chemistry first, and maybe get an even simpler book than the one you've ordered, because although it's for beginners, beginners for quantum physics are pretty high up the scale. most people at degree and phd level find it hard so don't expect to be like some kind of pro. i mean i didn't know anyone this into clever stuff like this when i was your age, and i know some pretty intelligent people, and you sound very well spoken, so you're probably very intelligent.. though a bit immature.

ReputationRep:
    To put it bluntly, you need to be able to do the following.

Manipulate complex numbers, master linear algebra and multi-variable calculus.

The language of quantum mechanics is linear algebra. If you don't know the language, you cannot have a conversation.

If you can't do this stuff, forget quantum mechanics until you can.

ReputationRep:
    i am not like you! I know what im destined for thank you very much
    yep, that was exactly like me. "Mum I wanna be a physicist! it's my destiny!" Mum: :facepalm2:

dude chill out about education, you're only 13. Heck you don't know what your destiny is, enjoy life a little?

ReputationRep:
    Read "how to teach your dog quantum physics" its a really good book. He basically explains quantum physics whilst also using metaphors his dog would understand to try and get a everyday example of quantum effect. Really good book and a good and more importantly fun read. Being intrested in studying physics above the subject is a good sign though all the best universities like to see you have read further into subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I think people seriously overestimate the difficulty of quantum mechanics, and telling other people it's 'super complicated' isn't going to help it all. I've just finished a degree level course in intro QM and it wasn't nearly as mathematically or conceptually difficult as I thought it was going to be.

With regards to the OP, I would suggest she reads up on the thought experiments and the actual experiments that gave rise to quantum theory. As for the maths, she probably shouldn't touch it until she's dabbled in calculus, complex numbers and probability theory.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's been mentioned before but read GCSE and A Level Mathematics first if you really want to get into Quantum Mechanics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikita_atikin)
    Dude you need to get laid.

More seriously though, it's a good thing physics takes your fancy but best to take it slow. Try basic GCSE Physics to whet your appetite and read other simpler magazines/books that'll help you gain a background understanding of physics. Best to master the basics first and then get advanced

EDIT: Oh btw, on TSR, we speak to each other in a normal font. Jussayin. :ninja:

Why are you such a monger?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! It looks ridiculously complex, but utterly intriguing.

ReputationRep:
    I really like people like you who are so positive and don't tell me I'm too dumb or young! Thank you so much, you really made me smile <3 :')
    It's all good reading about subjects you're interested in but can i ask are you doing any reading that is medicine based? As at the end of the day if a surgeon is what you truly want to be this is what will be most beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    tbh, if you read the popular science books out there on quantum mechanics you will come away thinking, "that wasn't too bad, I think I understand it". Then you'll go to uni and realise you couldn't have been more wrong.

ReputationRep:
    i just dont gewt it why he got so many negs? This kid likes physics and he asks for advice, what so bad about the fact that he likes physics? :O

ReputationRep:
    I've never said this to anyone but seriously STFU! and watch tv yourself!
    Honeslty, GCSE & even a level physics mean nothing :dontknow: Just try to get the basics of calculus/ probability & read books introducing qp.

ReputationRep:
    Read things about it on the web, like wikipedia ?

But seriously, do you have friends?

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I'm new here but I think this is the perfect place for seeking the advice/info which I much need right now!

So, I'm 13 and I attend a local school. However, I'm really interested in Science - many aspects! I absolutely LOVE it. I also enjoy Mathematics very much. I'm hoping to become a cardiovascular surgeon - but that's irrelevant.

What I want to know from you guys is if you think I'll be able to handle Quantum Physics and understand it at this age.
    Also, what do I have to do to be able to understand it?
    Shall I first learn all the basics of physics at my KS3 level? Such as forces, electromagnet spectrum, moments, astronomy, light, sound, ect (I'm pretty familiar with it all already).

Should I then move onto GCSE stuff - I am 13 and have two years left until I start them.

And then shall I begin learning out QP? Or, will I be ok with the knowledge I already possess? I dont mean that I want to become a genius and maybe come up with my own theories and stuff. No, no. Just study it and know what it's about and perhaps do some questions and stuff so I can become pretty familiar with it.

What do you guys suggest? Also, how should I study it? I recently ordered a beginners guide on Quantum Physics. I am currently awaiting its arrival.

Please do suggest some ideas! Thank you.

- Misaki. ^_^

wow reading your post reminds me of myself when i was at your age....instead of quantum phy....i used to love astrophysics....just follow your passion, i wud say....

read/study the basics on the internet...you are too young to be really serious about that right now.....cause if you start reading advanced QP, you would not even understand it properly and that might put you off.

that's all i can say but there is something i would like to add.

I would like to give you an example of the mistake that i did in my life. when the time came to choose a career, i was too scared to become a physicist thinking about money and instead i chose applied physics (electronics engineering) and i still try very hard to move towards theoretical physics...which i cannot do anymore :sad:

so dont do the mistake i did .....follow your passion when the right time comes to choose.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone who has bothered to give me some advice instead of laughing at me - it's much appreciated! Sorry I can't thank you all individually - like I I'd before - it's because I have to study for my maths exam tomorrow! Once again thank you <3

-Misaki

Thank you everyone who has bothered to give me some advice instead of laughing at me - it's much appreciated! Sorry I can't thank you all individually - like I I'd before - it's because I have to study for my maths exam tomorrow! Once again thank you &lt;3

-Misaki
    Get a level 7 (is that what you still call it?)
    Then do the quantum physics!
    One step at a time. Forget what some of the trolls the above said

ReputationRep:
    why don't you just go through with life like everyone else except at a faster pace (thinking about your GCSE's at 13)

then you can move on to your A levels in maths / physics which will still be basic in terms of quantum physics, but then you may then have a better grasp of the concepts involved and actually see whether you still want it or not (at least you will be years ahead of having to actually decide what you want in terms of higher education).

Your post does sounds trolly, or maybe just naive, with your aspiriations of not only a understanding a really difficult field of physics, but also of being a surgeon? sure you're going to fit all this in?

but at least you have aspirations anyway, and i wish you luck

(Original post by JO FO SHO)
    why don't you just go through with life like everyone else except at a faster pace (thinking about your GCSE's at 13)

then you can move on to your A levels in maths / physics which will still be basic in terms of quantum physics, but then you may then have a better grasp of the concepts involved and actually see whether you still want it or not (at least you will be years ahead of having to actually decide what you want in terms of higher education).

Your post does sounds trolly, or maybe just naive, with your aspiriations of not only a understanding a really difficult field of physics, but also of being a surgeon? sure you're going to fit all this in?

but at least you have aspirations anyway, and i wish you luck
    :facepalm: I love contradiction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    :facepalm: I love contradiction.
    sorry

ReputationRep:
    I've never said this to anyone but seriously STFU! and watch tv yourself!
    I like how she makes a thread and then ignores all opinions that don't claim shes an absolutely amazing child prodigy and dismisses them as trolls when they're the only people who have the heart to be realistic with her.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 4, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.