Turn on thread page Beta

Gotch's Bible - Anyone Tried It? watch

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends who studies in the art of Jeet Kune Do told me to try out the Gotch's Bible workout for building strength.

For those who don't know what it is:

One I use farily regulary is Gotch's Bible, used by a wrestler in the early 1900's, Start with skipping as a warm up (i do 4x3min rounds 1 min rest) the get a pack of ordinary playing cards, deal the cards 1 at a time, the suit and number of the card is the exercise and number you do (ace's = 11, face cards = 10)

Hearts = Push ups
    Diamonds = Cat press ups (also calles hindu pressups/divebomber pressups)
    Clubs = Crunches
    Spades = Squats

go through the pack with out stopping, finish with a good warm down, I either run or another 4x3mins of skipping.

make the work out hard by including jokers which we use as 15 of all 4 exercises, or double the face value of cards under 4 etc . Or change the exercises to suit.
    I can see how this would work and i'm definitely going to try it. But probably using half the card values at first to build up to it. Anyone used it before and noticed a difference?

ReputationRep:
    It's a conditioning workout, which as a rule of thumb means it's useful if it takes the same amount of time as a non-stop max effort bout in your sport. It's not for building real strength.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with The Troll Troll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Troll Toll)
    It's a conditioning workout, which as a rule of thumb means it's useful if it takes the same amount of time as a non-stop max effort bout in your sport. It's not for building real strength.

(Original post by Powerlifter)
    I agree with The Troll Troll
    Would you think it would build base strength though? I'm pretty bad strength wise, only endurance because of rowing. I can't even do more than 2 or 3 pull ups, always used my weight as an excuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave_Beeston)
    Would you think it would build base strength though? I'm pretty bad strength wise, only endurance because of rowing. I can't even do more than 2 or 3 pull ups, always used my weight as an excuse.
    No

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.