Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone I'm just about to finish my last year at Secondary School and need to start picking my A Levels for College and I'm a bit stuck.
    So I was wondering if there is anyone out there who is able to guide and help me with some advice?

I have clear what it is that I want to study at University, but I need to pick my A Levels for College and I'm not sure whether these are the right options to go into Journalism once I've finished college.

Any advice and help is much appreciated!

Question:

Which is better English Literature or Language for Journalism?

Scenario One:
    Creative and Media Advanced Diploma - Level 3
    English Literature/Language
    Photography

Scenario Two:
    English Literature/Language
    Sociology
    Media Studies
    Photography

Thank You, hope to hear from someone,
    Ssweetstephy

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't take a diploma - I think they will be phased out by this government...

I would take:

English Language and Literature
    History
    Politics
    AS Maths/Statistics (if you can hack it) or Media Studies or Sociology or Photography or any other subject

or

English Language and Literature
    French
    Politics
    AS Maths/Statistics (if you can hack it) or Media Studies or Sociology or Photography or any other subject

Bear in mind for the course you linked you will need AAB though - so if you can't get it with those subjects, pick subjects you know you'll do well in. If that's Photography, then do Photography as one of your main subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11 too
    I'd rather you take the second list of subjects though, I would advice you to perhaps alter them a little and choose more established A-Levels (Excluding English) and choose a subject such as history or geography, especially if you intend to go to a competitive university because Journalism alone is a competitive career.

I personally prefer English literature because it's more creative and liberal, but for journalism I'd say language is more helpful, though I think there's a combined Lit&Lang A level.

On another note, if it's possible, perhaps start your own blog to set your self a foundation, I have and I intend to earn some revenue one day-though I no longer want to be a journalist and a barrister instead.

Good luck¬

ReputationRep:
    @llys Thank you for getting back to me, it is much appreciated

I had not thought of that, thank you for enlightening me. That is very good point, best to stay on the safe side of things and take A Levels that wont be phased out..

I have already done one A Level, Spanish and I'm currently doing my French As this year so a language A Level is already in the bag.

So you think I should take something more established? I want to go into investigative journalism, so would it be useful to take law?

Yes that is right, been doing my research for some time Why do you suggest in taking photography?

This has helped me a lot to arrange my thoughts, thank you so much!

~Ssweetstephy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssweetstephy)
    Hi Everyone
    Which is better English Literature or Language for Journalism?
    I don't know if anybody has told you this, but if you want to be a journalist, whatever you do, do not apply for a degree in Journalism - the only vocational degrees that aren't detrimental to you getting a job in that area are Medicine, Law and Engineering. Employees in the jounalism industry would be far more impressed if you had a degree in English Literature or English Language and Literature, and just got involved in student media, journalism, etc - Universities will probably be more impressed if you have an A-level in English Lit because English Lang is sometimes seen as a doss subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comeheretellme)
    I'm in year 11 too
    I'd rather you take the second list of subjects though, I would advice you to perhaps alter them a little and choose more established A-Levels (Excluding English) and choose a subject such as history or geography, especially if you intend to go to a competitive university because Journalism alone is a competitive career.

I personally prefer English literature because it's more creative and liberal, but for journalism I'd say language is more helpful, though I think there's a combined Lit&Lang A level.

On another note, if it's possible, perhaps start your own blog to set your self a foundation, I have and I intend to earn some revenue one day-though I no longer want to be a journalist and a barrister instead.

Good luck¬
    @ Comeheretellme, thank you for getting back to me..
    That's pretty cool
    From all the responses in this thread I have made my mind up that I am not going to take the diploma but stick with the second list of subjects.
    And thanks for the note, I have had a blog set up for sometime now, one where I write and another where I display my photography work.
    Wish you the best of luck in your new pursued career as barrister,

Many Blessing,
    ~Ssweetstephy
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    @ Comeheretellme, thank you for getting back to me..
    That's pretty cool
    From all the responses in this thread I have made my mind up that I am not going to take the diploma but stick with the second list of subjects.
    And thanks for the note, I have had a blog set up for sometime now, one where I write and another where I display my photography work.
    Wish you the best of luck in your new pursued career as barrister,

Many Blessing,
    ~Ssweetstephy
    You want to consider doing both:

English Literature
    English Langauge
    Media Studies/sociology
    + one solid A level.

You can teach yourself photography, as you can History for example, but the latter will be more use to you as a recognized qualification.

An English degree would indeed be better than a Journalism degree for being a Journalist but if you want to study the latter far more then that's a legitimate choice to make.

A book you may find useful by the way:

"Essential English for Journalists, Editors and Writers" - Harold Evans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CathySarah)
    I don't know if anybody has told you this, but if you want to be a journalist, whatever you do, do not apply for a degree in Journalism - the only vocational degrees that aren't detrimental to you getting a job in that area are Medicine, Law and Engineering. Employees in the jounalism industry would be far more impressed if you had a degree in English Literature or English Language and Literature, and just got involved in student media, journalism, etc - Universities will probably be more impressed if you have an A-level in English Lit because English Lang is sometimes seen as a doss subject.
    @ CathySarah, thank you for replying back
    Thank you for the respond regarding to take English Literature and not Language, has helped a lot, and also about getting involved with Student Media, which is something someone a couple of years told me to do and have been doing since.

Once again thank you for your time and for the advice, it is very much appreciated!

Many Blessings
    ~Ssweetstephy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    You want to consider doing both:

English Literature
    English Langauge
    Media Studies/sociology
    + one solid A level.

You can teach yourself photography, as you can History for example, but the latter will be more use to you as a recognized qualification.

An English degree would indeed be better than a Journalism degree for being a Journalist but if you want to study the latter far more then that's a legitimate choice to make.

A book you may find useful by the way:

"Essential English for Journalists, Editors and Writers" - Harold Evans.
    Hi paddy_power, thank you for getting back to me

Yeah that is very good point regarding teaching myself about photography, I will take that in mind!
    But I can only do up to 4 A Levels.. But I know for sure I want to take English Literature, Media Studies and Sociology.
    So say if I don't take photography what A Level would I take instead other than English Language?

And yes!! That is Brilliant book! I have several books about journalism, that was kind of you for sharing that with me Spread the word about it when you have the chance!

Wish to hear from you again,
    ~Ssweetstephy
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hi paddy_power, thank you for getting back to me

Yeah that is very good point regarding teaching myself about photography, I will take that in mind!
    But I can only do up to 4 A Levels.. But I know for sure I want to take English Literature, Media Studies and Sociology.
    So say if I don't take photography what A Level would I take instead other than English Language?

And yes!! That is Brilliant book! I have several books about journalism, that was kind of you for sharing that with me Spread the word about it when you have the chance!

Wish to hear from you again,
    ~Ssweetstephy
    Whatever you're interested in.

Politics would seem appropriate, but History or Economics, for example, would also be a good choice.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your advice!

Have a great week!

Many Blessings!

~Ssweetstephy

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your advice!

Have a great week!

Many Blessings!

~Ssweetstephy
    Hi Stephy,

I'm a student of journalism in my second year at college (now going onto uni).
    After two years studying this subject, my biggest piece of advice would be to study whatever interests you but also (the most important part!) build up a good strong portfolio of published work.

Any jobs I've been involved in have been through my portfolio alone rather than my qualifications. If you enjoy writing then make sure to keep blogging away and send your articles to student and local newspapers to begin with.

A good understanding of how to use style-guides is really helpful. Learn the difference in writing for online, features, news, tabloid, broadsheet etc. and try to get weekend work placements/volunteer work (it's pretty competitive!).

Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 27, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.