Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should gay people be allowed to get married/ have children? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowpatrolchlo)
    Frankly, I love love! So I'm all for equality for all, and I'm totally for legalising gay marriage, and agree that they should be allowed to adopt. But I'm curious, what to you guys think? If your for it, why? And if your against it-why? Do you think it's okay for people of the same sex to be in a relationship, but not to get have the same rights as different sex couples? I'm not here to judge anyone here, so please, give your opinions but don't be insulting about it.
    byebye 2011, hello 1911.

(but srsly, not gay people like Elton John, he's too gay)

ReputationRep:
    ermmmmmmmmmmm nah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswald Mosley)
    If you had to start life again, would you mind being raised by two gay men, or would you prefer a normal mother and father? You can use statistics to prove anything, the fact is that a lot of kids won't want to be brought up by two gay blokes. As for the bullying, it may not be the fault of the gay couple, but why should the child have to pay for it? Gay people who demand the right to adopt should stop it with this selfish attitude and consider the bigger picture, and what the child would go through. Too many people believe that having children is a right, as opposed to a privilege, which it most certainly isn't.
    Selfish? Hmm... and here I was, thinking that having loving parents who happened to be gay was better than being locked up in an institution/orphanage/care home and then being dumped in the street with no support as soon as I turned 18. You're obviously right though!Who do those **** think they are campaigning for equality and the right to be parents?

ReputationRep:
    It should be totally acceptable.

In a world of single parents, abusive parents, homeless children, unwanted orphans and dangerous parental ignorance of issues like nutrition and emotional support, there is NO reason to restrict children to opposite sex couples. And frankly, even if we lived in a world in which 99.9% of parents stayed together and provided a stable, supportive environment with even male and female influences for their children, there still would be no reason to stop same sex couples bringing up children. In society we shouldn't strive for perfection - for little robotic people who are perfectly adjusted and who have had the optimum upbringing that gives them 'ideal' development, temperament, ideas and perspectives. Society is about supporting people as they go about their lives, about protecting freedoms and making sure people are not harmed through willful negligence or malice. Society is a structure for people (in all their irrational, ignorant, passionate, difficult glory), people are not simply the bricks that make up society. To imply that not provding a male/female influence for a child or for giving ignorant bullies fodder to hurt a child is the same as removing the childs basic freedoms or negligently harming them is excessive and deeply, deeply unfair. It is also wrong.

As for marriage - frankly, marriage should be a private affair and not the business of the state. My ideal concept is state moderated contracts if people want to enshrine inheritance, next of kin or other 'formalities'. Marriage should not be state controlled and should not come with a stack of 'rights' or 'privileges'. Seperate marriage from the state, and all this legal, religious, cultural bull**** goes away. Even if that doesn't happen (which it won't), the state should still protect the freedoms of individuals irrespective of gender, sex, sexuality, race (etc etc). Religions, cultures and philosophical ideals do not have a monopoly on happiness, on marriage, on freedom. People do, and those people should be respected for the individuals they are. Marriage =/= civil partnership. Seperate-but-equal is not equal. Marriage-by-another-name is not marriage.

/rant

ReputationRep:
    As a gay person who plans on adopting, know I will give my child more love than s/he would receive in a foster home or in a broken family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Real-One)
    byebye 2011, hello 1911.

(but srsly, not gay people like Elton John, he's too gay)
    And you're too close-minded :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Most certainly. The advantages of having a gay father are expressed by Frankie Boyle in full.

ReputationRep:
    My school must have been magical, it sounds like I went to a rare land where a kid can openly have gay adoptive parents and never get bullied. And that was in a state school in the heart of Birmingham and routinely failed ofsted reports.

Seriously, if children come under attack for having gay parents, it is the bigotry of an isolated few and not a cultural norm. Gay couples should not be denied this right, and children should not be denied a loving home, because of the risk of theoretical abuse which isn't half as widespread in this day and age.

ReputationRep:
    Yes!

ReputationRep:
    I have to say, i find it incredibly patronising when a bunch of straight people debate what I, as a member of society, am allowed to have..
    Do you really think children care what gender their parents/guardians are? They only begin to care when children of bigoted people make an issue of it, creating a cycle of perpetual ignorance; and the only way to stop that is to challenge peoples stereotypes and ideas of what is normal/correct. Fifty years ago, children were bullied for having divorced parents whereas now it's pretty common: that says it all really.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, why not? As long as they're good parents, who gives a ****? Gay people getting married and raising kids doesn't affect you in any way, so the only reason you could possibly disagree with it is if you're a homophobe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Inquisitive)
    Most certainly. The advantages of having a gay father are expressed by Frankie Boyle in full.
    My dad'll shag your dad.

Spoiler:
    Show
    And your dad'll enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    No, although civil partnerships are fine. Why do you need any more than that? I don't get it. It's basically the same thing but with a different name. (And I know you'll all say WELL WHY ARE U SAY NO THEN, but that's because I just don't see why.)

Oh, and you can all neg me but at least I have the balls to say what I think.
    The different name part is the problem. The same but different is not equality - equality means everyone is treated truly equally, and truly 'blindly' by any system with regards to orientation/gender/race/age etc. Besides, in several practical respects they are not entirely equal in any case, though admittedly none are of any real importance. Really, though, it's the feeling of being penned into a seperate system from everyone else - the whole idea is that people are treated equally and fairly, not seperated out! 61% of people want the law to change, there really would be very few practical differences if it did, more to the point - why shouldn't it? Even if you don't WANT it, how can you object when most gay people and a majority of the population as a whole do, and it won't impact your life in the slightest?

Yes gay people should be allowed to marry and have children.

Comme les autres is a good film about the struggle of gay men to adopt, this changed my view from being against this to being in favour

ReputationRep:
    Everyone knows 10% of children from gay couples turn out gay themselves....

ReputationRep:
    That our society is increasingly becoming accepting of homosexuals is a sad state of affairs. I find it sickening to have homosexuals on regular tv shows, eastenders, part of couple's programme's/shows, kissing in public etc

Children should not be born into a world where they are bombarded with homosexual images such that the idea in itself of being gay, even occurs to them.

ReputationRep:
    i say yes to all, but people have been asking what secular reasons there are for not allowing gay marriage and this is one being used in a case in the federal court system in the USA right now. it's: "The purpose to marriage is to procreate." plain and simple. that's their argument. -.- it's like, okay, so you're going to tell people who are infertile that they can't get married??? i highly doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyhey922)
    Everyone knows 10% of children from gay couples turn out gay themselves....
    as well as 10% of children from straight couples will turn out gay! oh look, there's no difference!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WTSFG)
    That our society is increasingly becoming accepting of homosexuals is a sad state of affairs. I find it sickening to have homosexuals on regular tv shows, eastenders, part of couple's programme's/shows, kissing in public etc

Children should not be born into a world where they are bombarded with homosexual images such that the idea in itself of being gay, even occurs to them.
    LOL please be sarcastic or else ITT the dumbest person ever

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.