Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do i tell my parents about my boyfriend..? Watch

Basically I've started dating one of my best friends recently but we've had a bit of a thing going for a while.. the problem is the only time my parents have even seen him they thought he looked scruffy and specifically told me to not be more than friends with him..

Obviously this hasnt happened, i didnt intend on liking him but i do and want things to work but im not sure how to tell my parents cause im not good at the whole hey i have a boyfriend conversation thing.. any advice on the best way to tell them.. seriously considering just texting my mum to tell her :/

ReputationRep:
    Your gonna have to tell them eventually... So do something nice and then tell them when they are in a good mood

ReputationRep:
    Keep dropping his name into conversation so it's obvious? Wait for your mum to ask who keeps texting you? Say, 'I'm going out with...' a lot so they figure you're meeting up way too often to just be friends?

ReputationRep:
    Well usually when i tell someone something i open my mouth and these things called words come out.

That would be a good way to start.

ReputationRep:
    "I have a boyfriend. It is ____. Get over it."

Grow a pair.

ReputationRep:
    "Looks scruffy"?

Tell him to come round in a shirt and be polite.

Unless, of course, there's more to it than that..

ReputationRep:
    me loves the parental relations dictat..

if it were me I'd be all "well we like each other but if you want to find me a finer specimen be my guest, until then, get out mah face biatch!"

ReputationRep:
    You could just make sure they walk in on you two having sex :ninja:

No, as someone else said, just drop his name into conversation a bit or just be like, "I'm hanging out with (insert name) today, we've kind of started going out ..." Simple.

ReputationRep:
    Tell them that you're going out with his far more respectable and parentally acceptable twin brother.

(Seriously, you're just gonna have to tell them at some point, simple as )

ReputationRep:
    You can't be as bad as me. The first time my mum found out I had a boyfriend was when I was kissing him after he walked me to my street as we were convinced mum was home so didn't want to risk a chance of us kissing in front of my house... Turned out she went to the post office. She looked angry at first (I still feel sorry for the guy). The 30 seconds walk to my house was the longest walk in my life. As soon as we got in she started laughing and wouldn't stop for about 5 minutes -.-'

ReputationRep:
    oh if you just mention seeing him more often and him texting you ect ect, they will get the message without you even having to say anything

ReputationRep:
    i don't think i've ever said 'mum i have a boyfriend', more like, someone gets introduced and after a month or so my parents just start calling him my boyfriend even if i haven't said anything

ReputationRep:
    I'm not good at this sort of thing either. If the situation ever arises, I'm planning on just letting them know by updating my facebook relationship status ... which I'm aware is running away from the issue slightly, but it's a complicated area.

ReputationRep:
    Like so: "Parents, I'm pregnant. Lol jk I'm just going out with _____"

That will seem like a blessing after the moment of fear thinking that they were going to have a grandchild.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexBlue)
    "I have a boyfriend. It is ____. Get over it."

Grow a pair.
    Very direct. I vote for this solution, OP.

ReputationRep:
    I never told my parents about my boyfriends ... they just inferred from the incessant name dropping I did lol

ReputationRep:
    If their biggest criticism of him was that he's scruffy they don't exactly hate him and will get over the news soonish. But before you tell them prove them wrong by letting them see him a few times all cleaned up

Thanks for the advice.. he is a really great guy my parents are just funny with how presentable people seem its like the whole judging a book by its cover thing..
    I think il talk to my mum and monday.. hes my first boyfriend in over a year after a bad break up and hopefully if i show her how happy hes making me then it will be fine..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by floralia)
    Like so: "Parents, I'm pregnant. Lol jk I'm just going out with _____"

That will seem like a blessing after the moment of fear thinking that they were going to have a grandchild.
    Damn. I was going to suggest that. :sad:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.