Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How much money do you pay your parents a week watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have to pay my parents £55 a week and i'm currently on the dole.I'm unable to have house or even a flat of my own because I just don't have enough money to buy a deposit or for furniture etc.Also most houses or flats won't let there places to Doleys.I get £130 a fortnight but £110 I have to give away to them for "food and bills" they threaten to throw me out if as much as ask for them to lower it.
    They don't spend any of that money I give to them for food for me and I know I don't cost that much because I don't eat much or use much eletric etc.
    I think they are very unreasonable people and mean as well,it's totally different if someone's got a job they can then afford to give them that much.But when someone's on the dole it's bang oou of order.
    Does anyone else get treated this way in the sense they are forced to give all there money or they will get chucked out on the streets.
    and does anyone else have to give this amount of money every week,fortnight
    and not even allowed to buy there own food or make there own meals
    while they both have a lot more income coming in

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, a lot of people have to pay per week, or they get thrown out on the street. It's called rent.

Seriously, though, I understand why you're upset, but the only thing you can do is to keep trying to find a job so that you can save the money. I don't think your parents are particularly in the wrong for charging you.

(If you're at uni) Why can't you get a student loan or live in halls? A student house is about the same price as what you're paying now.

ReputationRep:
    none... but then again i am at uni so am barely home

stop complaining. it blatantly costs them more than £55 a week to have you stay in the house, you're getting a bargain.

if you dont like it then why dont you get off your arse and get a job then move out

would people mind actually replying if they disagree with me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennet)
    (If you're at uni) Why can't you get a student loan or live in halls? A student house is about the same price as what you're paying now.
    You can't get unemployment benefits at uni, so obviously he's not a student.

ReputationRep:
    I would presume they're doing this because they think you're being lazy in trying to find a job. Maybe involve them more in your search, asking them to do practice interviews and the like, just to show them you're being serious about it.

ReputationRep:
    I know I'll get attacked for it but I find the idea of paying parents for the privilege of staying under their roof very weird. I'm all for making a contribution if you have a job but still...

Culture thing, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    You pay your own mum and dad rent? The people who brought you into this world and are supposed to be there for you through good times and bad? Wtf is the world coming to!!!

nothing's wrong with helping out financially here and there...but effing rent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrifer)
    You can't get unemployment benefits at uni, so obviously he's not a student.
    Nice profile pic
    Either way, didn't know that.

Guess all that you can do is keep trying for a job, then.

ReputationRep:
    I pay the sky bill per month
    Phone, Internet & TV.
    My household contribution means I get to stay here.

ReputationRep:
    Get a job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viksta1000)
    You pay your own mum and dad rent? The people who brought you into this world and are supposed to be there for you through good times and bad? Wtf is the world coming to!!!

nothing's wrong with helping out financially here and there...but effing rent?
    Many of us are lucky to have nice parents who would never charge rent or even food bills even if we were to live there after university and being jobless or just starting with a new job. They are your parents afterall.

However some people, from poorer backgrounds are forced to charge rent to their children, not officialy but just a weekly/monthly contribution to pay for the house bills and food now and then because otherwise they would not be able to sustain their house. (single mum with 1 adult child who still lives in the house and has a job)

I think I would never charge my children rent just like my parents wouldn't but I guess there are exceptional circumstances. If a son/daughter is on the dole, not really looking for a job seriously, has been jobless for over a year, never bothered with education, not really self-reliant, still needs parents to 'babysit' that child then I think it's only fair to charge rent/bill cost it might make them understand more how the real world works and even get the courage to move out and stop relying on parents.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently hanging around/looking for a job but I don't pay rent. Mainly because I just got back from traveling, I have a deferred place at UCL and I'm not a complete useless layabout :P

ReputationRep:
    I don't pay rent but I pay £50 to help out

ReputationRep:
    In response to everyone I do look for jobs all the time but I live in an area which jobs are sparce and it's very difficult to get them.
    Also I think they are mean because firstly they have a lot more money than me
    and secondly treat me like a child.
    I don't cost anywhere near 55 quid a week,I hardly eat,I practically only use my bedroom and bathroom,I shower 15 minutes a day,never use a fire or radiator.
    they on the otherhand have there fire and radiators on all day and waste money on crap.
    As i've said,everyone has to contribute when there at home.You can't live somewhere withoutt giving money but to take all earnings of someone of them is wrong.
    If it was the other way round they'd be shouting the odds.
    Also they are always left with more than me as they a lot more income coming in.
    To all these people saying stop complainig you have to ask yourself would you like it if all your money was taken off you and spent on other people even though you was told it was to bespent on you,and to be treated like a child were you weren't allowed tomake your own meals,use anything in the house and shouted at all the time and in some cases physically assaulted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    none... but then again i am at uni so am barely home

stop complaining. it blatantly costs them more than £55 a week to have you stay in the house, you're getting a bargain.

if you dont like it then why dont you get off your arse and get a job then move out
    I am looking for jobs but there just aren't any about.
    It's not I like living with them.

ReputationRep:
    I pay nothing, just buy a few bits of food here and there. But I'm usually living away at uni anyway so obviously I pay nothing then too!

ReputationRep:
    i give nothing, because my parents love me and would prefer me to put effort into education so one day i can get a well paid job and give them everything they gave me plus more back whilst they retire stress free
    so many cultural differences!

ReputationRep:
    I don't get charged rent because my parents love me. :smug:

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    My older brother pays £50 rent money a week because he's in full time employment, they don't charge me because I don't have a job and understand I need to save for university, but I know that £50 or even £55 is quite cheap, My uni accommodation is likely to cost me £132 a week.

I don't think it's a matter of love if you get your kids to pay rent, isn't it worse to teach your kids that they can run pawn off you when they earn a fair bit rather than teaching them to stand on their own two feet and pay their way from the time they're able to support themselves with a job?

ReputationRep:
    Ive never had to pay rent to my parents and never will. I dont think knowing the value of money comes from paying your parents rent.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.