Turn on thread page Beta

How much money do you pay your parents a week watch

ReputationRep:
    Offered lots of times, but my Grand parents say no (we live with them).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilly Roach)
    I don't cost anywhere near 55 quid a week,I hardly eat,I practically only use my bedroom and bathroom,I shower 15 minutes a day,never use a fire or radiator.
    55 a week is not much. It's a very cheap price for rent with food, internet etc included!

I doubt you'd be able to rent anywhere else and have enough for living costs on that, so your parents are actually doing you a favour.

You need to grow up a bit and realise that you are responsible for yourself. No one owes you anything and you are not hard done by. How hard can it be to at least get a minimum wage job?

(I have never paid rent to my parents because I haven't lived with them since I moved out at 18 to go to uni)

ReputationRep:
    Er... Get a job then?
    Quit complaining - I've been paying for my own food, travel, my section of the bills, clothes etc since I was 14. I even have to pay if my parents give me a lift somewhere. Yeah, I don't have to pay rent yet because I'm still in full time in education but if I wasn't I'd have to pay that too. As it is I pay about £70 a week. You're getting a pretty good deal.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing. I don't earn much anyway.

ReputationRep:
    ive never understood this if you could afford rent you obviously wouldn't be there
    remind them that one day you have to look after them and that 55 quid they harge you is more like 100 for a old person not including the time and effort they need

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyfantastic90)
    I don't pay rent but I pay £50 to help out
    Love your eyes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilly Roach)
    to take all earnings of someone of them is wrong.
    Sorry to sound harsh, but it's not exactly your 'earnings' so much as dole money that's given to you to cover your necessities such as accomadation and food as a stop gap untill you can find a job, and it seems like these necessities are being met, and although if I'm honest I have next to zero experience of how hard looking for a job can be, my advice really would be to find a job so that you can move out and gain independence, good luck

ReputationRep:
    My mom refuses to let me pay rent. I do lend her money when she needs it, pay the occasional bill if needed and I pay for myself to be on the car insurance. I'd like to give her more but she refuses most of the time

ReputationRep:
    I am on £115 a week, cry me a river...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohm)
    Love your eyes.
    :confused: how can you see them:confused:

ReputationRep:
    :confused: how can you see them:confused:
    Those gleaming pearls amongst that wild darkness stare at me from my screen. I cannot see them.
    They see me.

ReputationRep:
    My parents actually consider me a child so I don't pay anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohm)
    Those gleaming pearls amongst that wild darkness stare at me from my screen. I cannot see them.
    They see me.
    rigggght... I am so creeped out right now

ReputationRep:
    rigggght... I am so creeped out right now
    Love is a creepy feeling, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    I just buy all the food which is my rent.
    So it's not really a set price.

My mum pretends to my dad I pay £200pm.

ReputationRep:
    I lived at home for the first year of uni and my parents didn't ask for anything.
    I plan on going back for 4th year... they'd rather me be at home lol.

ReputationRep:
    OP I know it seems like a lot of money because your income is low, but compared to real rent + living costs, £55 a week is pretty cheap. If you lived independently, monthly rent + bills could be at least £400 easily + food etc.

Life is expensive!

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually with the OP on this. If your parents aren't struggling financially and are reasonably well off (as you suggested) they shouldn't have to charge you to stay living with them. Family are supposed to be supportive and as long as you are genuinely looking for a job and they can see that you're trying your best and not just sponging off them, they shouldn't try and make money off you. I wouldn't argue with them about it as they may kick you out, but use the fact they're being a little unreasonable as your motivation for finding a job and moving out.
    Also - to those of you saying he should pay, remember this: if OP's parents fell terminally ill and needed expensive treatment that they couldn't afford, and OP found a well paying job, would it be morally acceptable to ask for the parents pay him back (if he was well off and could afford to pay and the parents were living on a modest pension)?
    Good luck OP. : )

ReputationRep:
    It may not seem that way now obviously, but it's teaching you life skills: they're not giving you a free ride and making you realise how difficult it is to earn money and make a living. If nothing else, it should give you incentive to keep looking for a job and hopefully find your own feet so you don't feel indebted to them longer than you need to be - most parents see you as their responsibility, at least financially speaking, until you're an adult but beyond that it's up to you.

ReputationRep:
    I paid my parents £150 a month and also helped out with the food shopping when living at home. They didn't expect either by any means, but it seemed inappropriate not to when I was working and earning.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 23, 2011
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.