Turn on thread page Beta

How much money do you pay your parents a week watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Very mature - the sheer weight of your logic cripples my argument.

My turn to be immature: you're and idiot, and you're a joke. Also, what is a "normal" relationship and what qualifies you to make this distinction? Your argument is predicated on your own experience, you've offered very little other than something tantamount to "you're related ergo you must put up with it" which, when we apply the logic, means someone should be able to do whatever they want provided the subject of their actions is a family member.

The fact someone is related to someone else does not preclude them from A) finding their behavior abhorrent, inappropriate or disgusting and B) acting on it. You make the mistake of A) assuming the way your family works is some sort of paradigm for all families B) that your knowledge of cultures and of families is sufficient to make your generalizations (it clearly isn't) and C) that your value system and interpretations of the family construct are universally applicable (they are not).

Your reply won't be worth reading or replying to I'm sure but I may take a look anyway :dontknow:
    Ok I reckon you're just trolling now, i'm not sure anybody is stupid enough to use that sentence seriously. I'll expand because if you do genuinely believe it, you must be retarded. HAVE YOU HEARD OF THE WORD 'CONTEXT'.

I've got a very wide knowledge of different world cultures, and I don't know anyone with a good family who would experience rent - I don't really care whether you think my interpretations of the family construct are universally applicaple, I'm pretty sure they are, they're fairly standard.

Now, from your over crazy response, I can safely deduce there's a couple of things wrong with you/your family.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by yahyahyah)
    Ok I reckon you're just trolling now, i'm not sure anybody is stupid enough to use that sentence seriously. I'll expand because if you do genuinely believe it, you must be retarded. HAVE YOU HEARD OF THE WORD 'CONTEXT'.

I've got a very wide knowledge of different world cultures, and I don't know anyone with a good family who would experience rent - I don't really care whether you think my interpretations of the family construct are universally applicaple, I'm pretty sure they are, they're fairly standard.

Now, from your over crazy response, I can safely deduce there's a couple of things wrong with you/your family.
    Presumptuous, facile and sophomoric at best. There are so many issues with this that even beginning to get address the problems would result in a long post, which you wouldn't even understand and which would be rather a wasted effort on someone such as ourself. You're entitled to your opinion, it's just nonsense.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I want to neg a large amount of people in this thread.

It is completely legitimate for them to charge him rent at his age, and in his situation and the rent they do ask is below market price for almost everywhere. My mum would never have charged me rent, and she wouldn't now if for some reason I wanted to stay on her sofa but if she wanted to I would completely understand - in fact the one time I had to I did give her money. (This said I've not lived with her since I was 16). You get a grant for furniture if you can be bothered to apply for it (this may not be true in your area but presumably you've not checked) and if you go to second hand shops furniture is reasonably cheap not to mention that rooms are almost always furnished.

Some people have a sense of entitlement that isn't healthy or appropriate IMO.
    I don't think it's wrong to make a contribution financially to the household once you're out of education if you're still living there. I do draw the line at your parents making a profit on you though. I do think that's harsh. If you weren't there, would they be letting out the room? If not then I think paying enough to cover your costs should be sufficient. Taking basically 100% of the OPs money seems harsh to me. How are you ever going to find a job without any money to even leave the house?

ReputationRep:
    Presumptuous, facile and sophomoric at best. There are so many issues with this that even beginning to get address the problems would result in a long post, which you wouldn't even understand and which would be rather a wasted effort on someone such as ourself. You're entitled to your opinion, it's just nonsense.
    hahahahahahaha thanks for giving me a good laugh this mid afternoon. I looked at your profile and noticed you got rejected from camb. Yeah they don't like over wordy needless drivel.

OH YES I DID.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by alibee)
    I don't think it's wrong to make a contribution financially to the household once you're out of education if you're still living there. I do draw the line at your parents making a profit on you though. I do think that's harsh. If you weren't there, would they be letting out the room? If not then I think paying enough to cover your costs should be sufficient. Taking basically 100% of the OPs money seems harsh to me. How are you ever going to find a job without any money to even leave the house?
    Perhaps it is harsh but the fact remains that the OP could move out and remove himself from the situation, walk to places to remove himself from the situation. He has ways out he chooses not to take. He is an adult and his parents are probably doing him some good by not allowing him to become comfortable in the situation. Most parents do it to teach their children responsibility and, ultimately, his expenditure would be far higher if he were renting somewhere to live without the aid of housing benefit (which he will be entitled to if he moves out). They feed him, they pay the bills and they give him somewhere to live (which is stable, something he wouldn't have on benefits) and that is the costs he would be expected to meet with his money. When I moved out I lived on food vouchers for a month and I survived. I don't buy the argument that your parents owe you anything when they have bought you up to the age of 18 (had to drag you up in some cases).

ReputationRep:
    £40 a week. And that's a really good deal. My mum doesn't earn much at all.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    hahahahahahaha thanks for giving me a good laugh this mid afternoon. I looked at your profile and noticed you got rejected from camb. Yeah they don't like over wordy needless drivel.

OH YES I DID.
    I was indeed rejected from Cambridge (not "camb"), if that's the best you can do in the way of an insult you really do need to try harder. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't want to go somewhere that has you as their spokesperson :lol:. I mean, I assume you are their spokesperson given that you're claiming to know what "they" (which is so amusingly problematic a phrase in this context that I won't even begin) don't like. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    :sigh: What a stupid argument. Different people will always have different views on different matters. This is just how it is. Looking down upon anyone for their method of parenting is just plain retarded and will earn no respect from anyone. I'm looking at you in particular, yahyahyah.

ReputationRep:
    If you're working full time then £50 to your parents is nothing. However £55 a week when you're on the dole is pretty unfair.

However there isn't much you can do barring not pay them then when they throw you out hope the council can find emergency accommodation for you. If they can't you're on a park bench.

Is McDonald's etc. not recruiting near you?

ReputationRep:
    well they have a right to treat you like a child if you're still slumming with them. I don't pay anything, I've offered to pay some bills but they didn't accept. I'm moving out for uni tho. Oh and i earn about twice as much as you

ReputationRep:
    someone's going to end up like principal skinner

ReputationRep:
    I was indeed rejected from Cambridge (not "camb&quot, if that's the best you can do in the way of an insult you really do need to try harder. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't want to go somewhere that has you as their spokesperson :lol:. I mean, I assume you are their spokesperson given that you're claiming to know what "they" (which is so amusingly problematic a phrase in this context that I won't even begin) don't like. :dontknow:
    hahahahaha, yet i reckon i've got a little more insight than you. you're kind of like a tries-hard-but-doesn't-quite-know-how-to-use-the-right-words guy.

the problem is, getting back on topic, I don't think you have a clue what proper loving family values are. 'when i moved out i lived on food vouchers for a month' - and was that at 16? sure this may have been unavoidable, so are many unfortunate things in the world - i don't know your circumstances - but the thing is that it sort of negates all your points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    :sigh: What a stupid argument. Different people will always have different views on different matters. This is just how it is. Looking down upon anyone for their method of parenting is just plain retarded and will earn no respect from anyone. I'm looking at you in particular, yahyahyah.
    some methods certainly deserve looking down on.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Gilly Roach)
    In response to everyone I do look for jobs all the time but I live in an area which jobs are sparce and it's very difficult to get them.
    Also I think they are mean because firstly they have a lot more money than me
    and secondly treat me like a child.
    I don't cost anywhere near 55 quid a week,I hardly eat,I practically only use my bedroom and bathroom,I shower 15 minutes a day,never use a fire or radiator.
    they on the otherhand have there fire and radiators on all day and waste money on crap.
    They are obviously doing thais to encourage you to leave home, not to deliberately be 'unfair'. If they let you have all £65 per week why would you ever leave home? They're trying to be kind.

What do you help them with around the house that lets them keep the rent so low (as they could charge more - you are using their space on top of what it actually costs for food etc)? Maybe you could increase that if you want less rent and more money until you find a job.

ReputationRep:
    I would only charge my own child if they quit school and stayed inside doing nothing all day. I would NOT charge a child trying to raise money for university/a child studying at university whilst living with me/a child just starting their career and trying to put some money aside so they can move out and get their own place
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    hahahahaha, yet i reckon i've got a little more insight than you. you're kind of like a tries-hard-but-doesn't-quite-know-how-to-use-the-right-words guy.
    1) You have no way of knowing how hard I may or may not be trying, I assure you it's not very much. There is nothing here to try particularly hard at. It doesn't take much effort to reply to your posts, replete with intelligent and penetrating points though they are :rolleyes:
    2) What were the "wrong" words and what would have been the "right" ones and how are you defining "right" or "wrong".

the problem is, getting back on topic, I don't think you have a clue what proper loving family values are. 'when i moved out i lived on food vouchers for a month' - and was that at 16? sure this may have been unavoidable, so are many unfortunate things in the world - i don't know your circumstances - but the thing is that it sort of negates all your points.
    1) What is a "proper family value" and again what qualifies you to make the distinction between a "proper" and "improper" family value. Is it contextually variable? How do you define "family"? Are we talking immediate? How immediate? Does it apply to second cousins or great uncles? To what extent?
    2) Correct, at 16. It was technically avoidable because I could have chosen not to have the vouchers, or have borrowed money from friends, or engaged in illegal activity to acquire money or taken any number of other actions but none were preferable, and none were what I considered the correct thing to do. Very little is ineluctable, even less in the short term.
    3) How does it negate all of my points? If it only "sort of" does then how is it a fact?

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    some methods certainly deserve looking down on.
    You see, again this is your personal opinion and other people certainly have different ones. Who are you to decide who deserves what?
    But to be honest with you, I think you may well be a bit of a troll. I'm out.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I have to pay £25 a fortnight (as i get paid fortnightly)

ReputationRep:
    I don't see what you would even need money for? You get your dole, and thats for paying for living costs, like paying rent, food, bills etc etc.

You might not like the fact that you have to hand over most of your money, but thats what its for, and if your parents are supporting you and letting you live at home, then you give the money to them. It might be hard to find a job, but use this as a motivation to get anything you can - there must be SOME jobs about. I'm struggling to find a job, but I want a specific job for my gap year. I don't NEED the money to live, I am just using it for experience and saving up, so I can afford to be picky. You can't.

Apart from anything else, its not YOUR money. Its the taxpayers money, which you are being lent until you get a job yourself and start paying tax yourself.

ReputationRep:
    1) You have no way of knowing how hard I may or may not be trying, I assure you it's not very much. There is nothing here to try particularly hard at. It doesn't take much effort to reply to your posts, replete with intelligent and penetrating points though they are :rolleyes:
    2) What were the "wrong" words and what would have been the "right" ones and how are you defining "right" or "wrong".

1) What is a "proper family value" and again what qualifies you to make the distinction between a "proper" and "improper" family value. Is it contextually variable? How do you define "family"? Are we talking immediate? How immediate? Does it apply to second cousins or great uncles? To what extent?
    2) Correct, at 16. It was technically avoidable because I could have chosen not to have the vouchers, or have borrowed money from friends, or engaged in illegal activity to acquire money or taken any number of other actions but none were preferable, and none were what I considered the correct thing to do. Very little is ineluctable, even less in the short term.
    3) How does it negate all of my points? If it only "sort of" does then how is it a fact?

:rolleyes:
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: hahahha.

the answers to most of those questions are in my previous posts, there is no way i'm repeating everything. as a quick recap for you - the family values i'm talking about are not letting your ****ing child pay rent - what do you even think this thread is about?! why were you allowed to move out at 16 and live on food vouchers by your parents/guardians?

(Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    You see, again this is your personal opinion and other people certainly have different ones. Who are you to decide who deserves what?
    But to be honest with you, I think you may well be a bit of a troll. I'm out.
    i don't really care whether other people have different ones, mine is of one where the method is ridiculous and deserves looking down on.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 23, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.