Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much money do you pay your parents a week watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't recieve any money off my parents to spend on bus/food/anything. My brother who has graduated does pay the sky bill(£65+) every month and my parents have never asked him for rent. Guess it's a cultural thing. They presume once he gets a full-time well paid job he'll buy his own place. I start uni in a few months and although I wouldn't directly give my parents money, I'd carry on giving my younger brother some, buy him anything he needs, just take the little costs burden of them.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Hazular)
    I accidentally negged that post, I do apologise. My screen froze so I went mental with clicking. I actually agree with your point, to be honest. I actually thought it was normal to start paying your parents rent if you turned 18 and were out of education :/
    It's ok, rep is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilly Roach)
    I have to pay my parents £55 a week and i'm currently on the dole.I'm unable to have house or even a flat of my own because I just don't have enough money to buy a deposit or for furniture etc.Also most houses or flats won't let there places to Doleys.I get £130 a fortnight but £110 I have to give away to them for "food and bills" they threaten to throw me out if as much as ask for them to lower it.
    They don't spend any of that money I give to them for food for me and I know I don't cost that much because I don't eat much or use much eletric etc.
    I think they are very unreasonable people and mean as well,it's totally different if someone's got a job they can then afford to give them that much.But when someone's on the dole it's bang oou of order.
    Does anyone else get treated this way in the sense they are forced to give all there money or they will get chucked out on the streets.
    and does anyone else have to give this amount of money every week,fortnight
    and not even allowed to buy there own food or make there own meals
    while they both have a lot more income coming in
    Are your parents middle class or working class?

I live at home, I eat ALOT of my parents food, use most the electrictiy and order box office (I ordered wrestlemania last ngith for £15) on sky regilarly, and I don't pay a penny. TBH, my parents give me money for haircuts and petrol, and sometiems just hand me the odd £20 if they know im going out...

I assume most people's parents are like this? UNLESS your working class...

my friend isn't very wealthy and he contributes towards his mums house, but their working class and she is a single parent with other kids also...

i think if your parents are wealthy, it is pretty out of order...

isn't the howl point of getting a good job that pays well, to take care and spend that money on your family?

I know my parents are still working for their kids, and i will do the same when im older...

ReputationRep:
    In response to everyone I do look for jobs all the time but I live in an area which jobs are sparce and it's very difficult to get them.
    Also I think they are mean because firstly they have a lot more money than me
    and secondly treat me like a child.
    I don't cost anywhere near 55 quid a week,I hardly eat,I practically only use my bedroom and bathroom,I shower 15 minutes a day,never use a fire or radiator.
    they on the otherhand have there fire and radiators on all day and waste money on crap.
    As i've said,everyone has to contribute when there at home.You can't live somewhere withoutt giving money but to take all earnings of someone of them is wrong.
    If it was the other way round they'd be shouting the odds.
    Also they are always left with more than me as they a lot more income coming in.
    To all these people saying stop complainig you have to ask yourself would you like it if all your money was taken off you and spent on other people even though you was told it was to bespent on you,and to be treated like a child were you weren't allowed tomake your own meals,use anything in the house and shouted at all the time and in some cases physically assaulted
    Let me get one this clear first of all, the whole shouted at/physically assaulted thing is not on. I obviously do not think that is right in any way.

However the rent, well... welcome to the real world?
    You get a roof over your head, food on the table, probably sitting on a computer all day, for nothing? You didn't "earn" the dole. You are given free money by the government which is enough for you to live and have a bit left over. And then you complain?

Find a job. Christ, anybody can go work at a supermarket checkout.
    While you are finding a job, get some skills. Self teach yourself some web design, learn how to do things.
    In fact look at "Helppy. Anybody can get a job there.

You clearly haven't look properly for a job, or used you time off getting some skills.
    I know this is sounding harsh, but the reason you are being treated like a child is because you evidently still are one. Growing up is not just about getting older, its about earning your independence. You can't expect all this independence and expect your parents to foot the bill. Earn it.

Edit:
    Think of it this way, this is what your parents are basically saying:
    "If you get a job, we will not charge you rent and support you in getting your life started. However, while you are just sitting at home getting handouts from the government that money may as well go to the people who are actually working to keep you alive."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xristina)
    How does that give them the right to ask money from you?
    My mum and step-dad are both disabled, thus unable to work.

Edit: I'd love to see the person who negged me care for their mother for 7 years while still doing their best to achieve a good education. Probably too busy tucked up in their comfy all expenses paid hotel of daddy to care too much about what others have to struggle through in life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xristina)
    The difference is that you chose to take a student loan but they chose to have you. Why would you feel like you owe them? It was their decision to bring a child into this world, and they knew this meant they would provide a roof over its head, food, clothing etc.
    It wasn't really their decision though. When my mum found out she was pregnant with me, she and my dad were 19 and 20, respectively. I'm frankly very lucky that I wasn't aborted. To this day I still don't fully understand why I wasn't aborted, I think my mum found out too late with me.

But just because a parent is legally obliged to pay for their child, does not mean it isn't a massively selfless thing to do, and that we shouldn't be grateful. It feels wrong to just 'expect' that love from someone without ever giving anything in return.

ReputationRep:
    u pay ur parents? wtf

person that negged me obviously never heard of unpaid rent from our parents...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    It wasn't really their decision though. When my mum found out she was pregnant with me, she and my dad were 19 and 20, respectively. I'm frankly very lucky that I wasn't aborted. To this day I still don't fully understand why I wasn't aborted, I think my mum found out too late with me.

But just because a parent is legally obliged to pay for their child, does not mean it isn't a massively selfless thing to do, and that we shouldn't be grateful. It feels wrong to just 'expect' that love from someone without ever giving anything in return.

Whether you were a planned birth or not, is besides the point...

i don't understand why the chavs get abuse on jeremy kyle for having kids they csan't afford (which is abuse the obviously deserve) , yet peoples parents don't? (if that makes sense! lol)

Being a parent isn't a contract, where you can offload all your responbilities to your child as soon as their 16...

If your son is 21, made some bad deciions in life and was addicted to heroin, are u seriously telling me you would tell your son "sorry mate, your over 16, you did this to yourself, your a grown person, I can't financically support you while u try to turn ur life around...welcome to the REAL world....but make sure u pop in at xmas for some bubbly!" -_- I think most people on TSr are too young to even realise what it takes to be a good parent...not someone who switches off when u turn 16...

Also people on this site are constantly like "OMG! your 22, wtf are you doing still living with your parents!!?!? When im 22 im gonna have my own house, be married, and be the director of a large corporation...no way would i be bumming in my mothers basement...."...these people are usually 17, and also love to brag how their "moving out at 18, and being a big boy/girl" when in reality, they are to blind to see where they will ACTUALLY be when they are 22, either staying with parents whilst on the dole, staying with parents whilst workig a job that doesn't give them nearly enough pay to move out, or working a job and living in shared accommodation, and practically having no savings left at the end of the month, after rent + living expenditure...

I also hate the fact that people on TSR think students who continue with their education are the only ones that should not be ashamed of spongong off their parents....maybe a child isn't at uni, but maybe he's at home trying build a music career fot himsels, trying to create an album that will be later credited as a work of art? (I know not everyone who goes to uni, is doing this, but people on tsr assume non uni people should automatically get a job in mcdonalds as soon as school is finished, and basically give up on their lives...)

What happens if your child is not a student, but an aspiring actor with REAL talent, obviously a parent should financially supoort them to try and achieve their dream, in the same way it is socially acceptable for a student to live off theirs???

Rant over...lol (im not an agry person in real life, i just sound like it in this post! haha, im sure im going to get neg repped by some uni students ALL DAY, but I was a uni student myself, so im not picking sides, merely trying to be objective about the matter! why was I allowed (by society) some financial help from my parents because I was studying a degree, and my friend wasn't? even though he wa sstaring his on car repair company?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freakingout!)
    Whether you were a planned birth or not, is besides the point...

i don't understand why the chavs get abuse on jeremy kyle for having kids they csan't afford (which is abuse the obviously deserve) , yet peoples parents don't? (if that makes sense! lol)

Being a parent isn't a contract, where you can offload all your responbilities to your child as soon as their 16...

If your son is 21, made some bad deciions in life and was addicted to heroin, are u seriously telling me you would tell your son "sorry mate, your over 16, you did this to yourself, your a grown person, I can't financically support you while u try to turn ur life around...welcome to the REAL world....but make sure u pop in at xmas for some bubbly!" -_- I think most people on TSr are too young to even realise what it takes to be a good parent...not someone who switches off when u turn 16...
    They aren't 'switching off at 16' though, that would be kicking the kid out on their 16th birthday. The parents are asking that the child contributes to his own upkeep, why is that such an abhorrent idea to people? I'm certainly charging my child rent if they stay in my house after leaving full time education!

ReputationRep:
    They pay me, that's how this **** works, didn't anyone tell you that?

Mind you my younger sister pays like £250 a month, the muppet.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    They aren't 'switching off at 16' though, that would be kicking the kid out on their 16th birthday. The parents are asking that the child contributes to his own upkeep, why is that such an abhorrent idea to people? I'm certainly charging my child rent if they stay in my house after leaving full time education!
    If it makes a huuge difference, (ie working class families), then fair enough. but my dad, who earns hundreds of thousands of pounds a year, asking me for £50 a week is petty, and he's far too nice to his kids to ask us for something, that makes a huuge difference to us, but little to him....

I also don't agree with your idea of already deciding that once full time education is over, regardless of your own financial position, you will charge them money...

I think your being far too immature inthe way that you are thinking...very short term...imagine when you have a child, whom you love more than ANYTHING in the world, even your husband/wife is secondary, and you are earning more than enough to run your household, are you really going to look into their beutiful brown eyes and ask for money!?!? HELL NO!

If anything, i'll give my son/daughter an extra £20 and tell them to have a really good one with their friends that night...I mean the main reason why i'd be working/earning is to provide my family (othe rpeople whom i love) with thinges that will better their lives...

My dad doesn't wake up every morning so he and mum can have an amazing week in spain, although its a bonus, im pretty sure the main reason is to provide for me and my brothers. so that he has the satisfation of knowing his children lived very happy privileged lives with the least amount of struggle as possible...

It must be a culture thing....but I find parents who earn thousands of pounds every month, and then charge their kids £50 petty, tight and selfish (because when we all becaome parents, we live for our children! not the other way around...you may think im spoilt, but I will do the same for my kids, and the cycle will continue,,,

ReputationRep:
    I'm paying my parents rent when I go to uni, but instead of it going in their pockets its going into a savings account to help put together money for a deposit on a flat or something so I don't spend the money on other things. It won't be much but it will help.

It seems a bit harsh of your parents to make you pay rent if you currently don't have a job though, just keep trying to get a job I guess. It's all you can really do.

ReputationRep:

Yeah but what happens if you can't pay them that upkeep?

Because OP said that he would get kicked out if he didn't pay...surely that is the same as kicking their kid out at 16?

"now that your 16, me and your dad thought it would be beneficial for you to contribute towards the household expense, but its your decison ofcourse and whether you can afford it!"

is vastly dfferent to

"your 16, your a grown person now, you either pay £55 per week or your out!"

im pretty sure op, and the entire thread is talking about the second circumstance?

So yes, that to me, is 'switching off'...

ReputationRep:
    If it makes a huuge difference, (ie working class families), then fair enough. but my dad, who earns hundreds of thousands of pounds a year, asking me for £50 a week is petty, and he's far too nice to his kids to ask us for something, that makes a huuge difference to us, but little to him....

I also don't agree with your idea of already deciding that once full time education is over, regardless of your own financial position, you will charge them money...

I think your being far too immature inthe way that you are thinking...very short term...imagine when you have a child, whom you love more than ANYTHING in the world, even your husband/wife is secondary, and you are earning more than enough to run your household, are you really going to look into their beutiful brown eyes and ask for money!?!? HELL NO!

If anything, i'll give my son/daughter an extra £20 and tell them to have a really good one with their friends that night...I mean the main reason why i'd be working/earning is to provide my family (othe rpeople whom i love) with thinges that will better their lives...

My dad doesn't wake up every morning so he and mum can have an amazing week in spain, although its a bonus, im pretty sure the main reason is to provide for me and my brothers. so that he has the satisfation of knowing his children lived very happy privileged lives with the least amount of struggle as possible...

It must be a culture thing....but I find parents who earn thousands of pounds every month, and then charge their kids £50 petty, tight and selfish (because when we all becaome parents, we live for our children! not the other way around...you may think im spoilt, but I will do the same for my kids, and the cycle will continue,,,
    To be honest I've found the richer the parents the tighter they are with money and giving gifts to people. People on lower incomes always seem much more generous.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but what happens if you can't pay them that upkeep?

Because OP said that he would get kicked out if he didn't pay...surely that is the same as kicking their kid out at 16?

"now that your 16, me and your dad thought it would be beneficial for you to contribute towards the household expense, but its your decison ofcourse and whether you can afford it!"

is vastly dfferent to

"your 16, your a grown person now, you either pay £55 per week or your out!"

im pretty sure op, and the entire thread is talking about the second circumstance?

So yes, that to me, is 'switching off'...
    In most cases, it's a threat. The parent would never kick them out, so long as they could see that they were job-hunting like an absolute mofo. If you're caught watching TV or sitting on the internet you'll get screamed at, though.

ReputationRep:
    In response to everyone I do look for jobs all the time but I live in an area which jobs are sparce and it's very difficult to get them.
    Also I think they are mean because firstly they have a lot more money than me
    and secondly treat me like a child.
    I don't cost anywhere near 55 quid a week,I hardly eat,I practically only use my bedroom and bathroom,I shower 15 minutes a day,never use a fire or radiator.
    they on the otherhand have there fire and radiators on all day and waste money on crap.
    As i've said,everyone has to contribute when there at home.You can't live somewhere withoutt giving money but to take all earnings of someone of them is wrong.
    If it was the other way round they'd be shouting the odds.
    Also they are always left with more than me as they a lot more income coming in.
    To all these people saying stop complainig you have to ask yourself would you like it if all your money was taken off you and spent on other people even though you was told it was to bespent on you,and to be treated like a child were you weren't allowed tomake your own meals,use anything in the house and shouted at all the time and in some cases physically assaulted
    How old are you?

ReputationRep:
    I don't live at home any more but I know if I did I'd be expected to pay my own way. I knew as a single parent once I was 18 she no longer received any child benefit for me, so I would have willingly helped her with rent/bills etc. As an adult its the responsible thing to do. And pretty much everyone I know who stayed at home has to contribute financially in some way.

Okay it is slightly different, but you wouldn't live with friends and expect them to pay for you because you didn't have a job would you?

ReputationRep:

You will give something in return when you ll pay for your children! Nature works this way! Older animals take care of the young ones. Also you can repay them when they ll need your help when they are really old. Children should only contribute when there is a big financial problem in the family. But most people here say that they pay even if their parents have money. Of course if they make a lot of money (the children) and still choose to say at home even if they can afford a house, then yes, they should pay.

As for the age of your parents my parents were 21 when they had my older brother. They didn't want to have children. Still, they did! It might not be a fully hearted choice but it still was their choice!

ReputationRep:

The fact that you are graetful to your parents, for not aborting you, makes me both want to hug you, and also fill out an application form for jermey kyle...sorry if that's mean, but that kind of thinking is craaaazzzy

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you are graetful to your parents, for not aborting you, makes me both want to hug you, and also fill out an application form for jermey kyle...sorry if that's mean, but that kind of thinking is craaaazzzy
    I don't think it's crazy, it's just being happy for being alive.
    I'm 21 now, but if I had been in my mum's shoes, and found out I was pregnant at the age of 19, I would have had an abortion, and if she had done that, I wouldn't be here right now so I'm glad.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.