Turn on thread page Beta

How much money do you pay your parents a week watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmaus)
    55 a week is not much. It's a very cheap price for rent with food, internet etc included!

I doubt you'd be able to rent anywhere else and have enough for living costs on that, so your parents are actually doing you a favour.

You need to grow up a bit and realise that you are responsible for yourself. No one owes you anything and you are not hard done by. How hard can it be to at least get a minimum wage job?

(I have never paid rent to my parents because I haven't lived with them since I moved out at 18 to go to uni)
    No disrespect but in all due respect I don't think I need to grow up at all.For starters where I live has very high unemployment and is almost impossible to get a job.Also i don't have many skillsso can't get many jobs even though i really try.
    Also would you think it was responsible of yourself if you got pyschically assaulted and yelled at in your own house?Doleys can't get houses of there own because they can't afford rent.If people work it's a whole different ball game they can obvioudsly afford 55 a week as they have a lot more money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura94)
    Er... Get a job then?
    Quit complaining - I've been paying for my own food, travel, my section of the bills, clothes etc since I was 14. I even have to pay if my parents give me a lift somewhere. Yeah, I don't have to pay rent yet because I'm still in full time in education but if I wasn't I'd have to pay that too. As it is I pay about £70 a week. You're getting a pretty good deal.
    As i've tried to explain to other posters on here,getting a job in the north west isn't easy.Very high unemployment and even the social are telling me there's no jobs about.
    No offence but do people seriously think that people like me wan't to leave uni then embarrisgly have to live at home because they can't afford to get a place of there own.
    most flats and houses won't take doleys
    doleys can't afford to buy propety
    and they earn double what i earn in a fortnight in a week.
    they have many thousands in the bank
    i have not
    also may i add could anyone here live on 20 odd quid a fortnight and when they give there money for food and bills
    they get no food or anything else as that money is spent on themselves
    and is it exceptablr that i get pyschically assaulted
    and insulted all the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    the OP sounds like he's finished school and is just bumming around at home. why the hell should his parents let him stay there for free, they've supported him through his childhood now he's an adult he should be able to support himself!

he should grow up, go get a job and move out like a normal person! its pretty sad he's still living at home
    No offence but I've recently left uni am in my late twenties.
    Alsi no disrespect but do you think that I wan't tolive at home,i have no choice as i can't save upmoney to go.
    also i can't find a job because there's a recession and there's high unemployment in north west.i hate this stupid attitude that everyone whos unemployed is a lazy bum.its not true

ReputationRep:
    When I'm home from Uni in the holidays I'll be giving my mum £40ish a week or buy food occasionally as the maintenance money my dad pays her stops once I'm 18. I think it's only fair to be honest and I don't mind doing it.

For everyone who is saying their parents consider them children so wouldn't charge them, you have to consider that sometimes and extra £20 a week for food can be a stretch for some parents. They aren't doing it to be horrible or exert their power over their kids, it's just necessary sometimes and at the end of the day it is still cheaper than rent at uni!

ReputationRep:
    I pay £100 a month housekeeping when I have a job. My brother and sister do too. When I start uni I won't be paying it and I'm not at the moment either as I am currently looking for work. It's a nice thing to do when you can afford it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilly Roach)
    No offence but I've recently left uni am in my late twenties.
    Alsi no disrespect but do you think that I wan't tolive at home,i have no choice as i can't save upmoney to go.
    also i can't find a job because there's a recession and there's high unemployment in north west.i hate this stupid attitude that everyone whos unemployed is a lazy bum.its not true
    if there's high unemployment in the northwest then MOVE somewhere else! apply for jobs all over the country or even in europe if you have to.

and apply to as many jobs as you possibly can everyone i know thats left uni had applied to 40+ jobs in their last year, the vast majority of them have got a job now.

ReputationRep:
    I pay my mother £70 a week. Me, my mum and younger brother live in our house (father doesn't contribute anything), So i pay the bills we all use divided by 3. My mother works part-time for minimum wage while I work full time for a few quid more than minimum wage, but her working tax credits/child support .etc subs her up to my level, so the fact she pays hers and my brothers share (child support doesn't cover his share) means I'm getting a VERY good deal.

In my opinion if you were actually going to uni or had a job then your parents should only make you pay what they need to pay the bills, so you can save up some money to move out or for uni.

ReputationRep:
    if there's high unemployment in the northwest then MOVE somewhere else! apply for jobs all over the country or even in europe if you have to.

and apply to as many jobs as you possibly can everyone i know thats left uni had applied to 40+ jobs in their last year, the vast majority of them have got a job now.
    I don't mean to be rude towards you but I don't know how much money you have or think people earn on the dole.
    I have to give the majority of my money to my parents,therefore I don't have enough money to move out of my house.I can't move to another part of the country as it is far to expensive.I've heard in London and the south of the country propety is very exspensive
    and Europe?No offence but are you a troll.Because otherwise I don't get how someone can think someone with no money can magically move

ReputationRep:
    My parents are not poor either.
    what they dont seem to grasp is i dont mind giving them money,you have to give some for keep when you live in a house but think there been harsh as because i have nmo money i cant move out or get jobs in other towns as i dont have any money

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to be rude towards you but I don't know how much money you have or think people earn on the dole.
    I have to give the majority of my money to my parents,therefore I don't have enough money to move out of my house.I can't move to another part of the country as it is far to expensive.I've heard in London and the south of the country propety is very exspensive
    and Europe?No offence but are you a troll.Because otherwise I don't get how someone can think someone with no money can magically move
    you don't have to move before you apply for a job.

apply to jobs all over the country, move after you get an offer and rent. its really not that expensive. you may need to borrow money for the deposit or get an advance from work.

i've moved out my house to a different city straight after sixth form and worked for a year to get money for uni. you have no bloody excuse not to get off your arse and get a job.

ReputationRep:
    People on the dole aren't earning money, they're being given it. If you were renting privately then you'd be paying an awful lot more than your parents are charging you, so really they're doing you a favour. Try being grateful that you have somewhere to live while you look for a job rather than being out on the street, which really would make finding a job impossible.

ReputationRep:
    £55 is a lot in my opinion. My partner pays £50 board to his mother which I think is outrageous. He is really cheap to keep, I know as he lived at mine for a while. £50 for him isn't a contribution but more like rent. When he was out of work she did lower it to £25 though at least.

I on the other hand do not pay anything as I am out of work. When I did work I only paid £25 a week, and my mother didn't want it every week, just when I could afford it. I am expensive to keep though. Whilst my partner gets packaged value crap food bought for him I have fresh salmon and steaks etc. Also, there is never any food missing from our cupboards (my mother is an obsessive shopper addict lol) yet there is always that one thing missing at his that you need. Like you will have the sandwich filling but no bread, cereal but no milk or vice versa. Really really pisses me of how he is treated. It should be a contribution. A stepping stone between free living and moving out and paying rent/mortgage.

ReputationRep:
    A grand total of £0, and I won't have to until I finish uni and get a full-time job (if I'm still living there).

ReputationRep:
    I think this "paying your parents rent" is in english culture, many europeans, asians, africans and jamaicans etc wouldn't dream of charging their nephews or neices for staying over, let alone their actual kids!!!

ReputationRep:
    My parents pay me £30 a week + £120 at the start of each month. And I help them with things, it's part of the deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    My parents pay me £30 a week + £120 at the start of each month. And I help them with things, it's part of the deal.
    £240 a month for sittin on your ***...you got a sweet deal (if you claimed JSA, you could rake in like £450 a month...the fact that you wouldn't be paying for rent/food/bills, ud be well off compared to people that work! haha GOOD JOB! all makes me feel less guilty when my mum is shoving notes into my hands whenever I go out with my mates

I will GLADLY accept the £20 or £30 she gives me before I go out tomorrow, and will sleep easier at night, knowing im not lucky, its normal!! (may even ask for an extra tenner for 'taxis'. Thankyou! I repped you also!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parasitic)
    Many of us are lucky to have nice parents who would never charge rent or even food bills even if we were to live there after university and being jobless or just starting with a new job. They are your parents afterall.

However some people, from poorer backgrounds are forced to charge rent to their children, not officialy but just a weekly/monthly contribution to pay for the house bills and food now and then because otherwise they would not be able to sustain their house. (single mum with 1 adult child who still lives in the house and has a job)

I think I would never charge my children rent just like my parents wouldn't but I guess there are exceptional circumstances. If a son/daughter is on the dole, not really looking for a job seriously, has been jobless for over a year, never bothered with education, not really self-reliant, still needs parents to 'babysit' that child then I think it's only fair to charge rent/bill cost it might make them understand more how the real world works and even get the courage to move out and stop relying on parents.

Yeah, and some parents are fine for money but don't want their children to be upset when they watch the film "Step Brothers" and realise it is about them.

ReputationRep:
    you don't have to move before you apply for a job.

apply to jobs all over the country, move after you get an offer and rent. its really not that expensive. you may need to borrow money for the deposit or get an advance from work.

i've moved out my house to a different city straight after sixth form and worked for a year to get money for uni. you have no bloody excuse not to get off your arse and get a job.
    No offence but who do you think you are insulting me?you don't even know me and your defintley living in cloud cuckoo land.
    I think your defintley a troll are your loaded and never had to live like "common people" If you've noticed there are MILLIONS out of work who cant get jobs,nothing to do with lazieness.you remind me of these out of touch incompent politicians who once they are on the dole for a week there wining there heads off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freakingout!)
    I think this "paying your parents rent" is in english culture, many europeans, asians, africans and jamaicans etc wouldn't dream of charging their nephews or neices for staying over, let alone their actual kids!!!
    well my parents are just mean *******s.
    and beating the **** out of someone with a crowbar is totally OTT.
    That's what one of them did to me when i dared asked them to lower it.
    the money i give doesnt get spent on me it gets spent on those lazy tossers

ReputationRep:
    I feel kinda bad because my parents pay me about £100 a week and my contract, and other stuff..

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.