Turn on thread page Beta

How much money do you pay your parents a week watch

ReputationRep:
    If I was 28 and still living at home I'd be disturbed if my parents didn't charge me rent and board.

I understand the jobs market is tough at the moment but it wasn't so bad pre-2008, and you should have moved out long before then. Perhaps your parents are being loving and trying to give you the push you need

ReputationRep:
    dole money is FOR rent and bills and food. if your parents are taking it off you for these things I really don't see the problem? as soon as I leave college if I want to still live here I will be paying, whether that be paying out of wages student loan or dole money I will still be paying and I don't feel hard done by. you ask why people are telling you to grow up while your complaining about having to pay to live and not having any money left over. well sorry but thats what life on the dole is. and yes it might be very hard to get a job and that sucks it really does but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have to pay your way with what little you have and absolve you of any responsibility. if some parents want to let there adult children live with them for free thats fine its up to them but that doesn't mean if your parents don't you have something to complain about. you keep saying you wouldn't be able to afford to live anywhere else so maybe just be thankful that you can live there rather than whining that its not for free.

ReputationRep:
    I pay my Mam 40 quid a fotnight. I hate the fact I have to pay rent. I resent her for it actually..

ReputationRep:
    Wow, your parents are making you pay to stay at home? My parents would never do that.

Anyway, I hope you've paid your mother back for the 9 months you spent in her womb.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my last yr of uni but don't pay rent, but from my income of summer jobs and odd jobs I pay for the internet and sky tv. At least my mum can't say I watch too much sports anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    none... but then again i am at uni so am barely home

stop complaining. it blatantly costs them more than £55 a week to have you stay in the house, you're getting a bargain.

if you dont like it then why dont you get off your arse and get a job then move out

would people mind actually replying if they disagree with me?
    I agree with you, pos rep.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by boba)
    dole money is FOR rent and bills and food. if your parents are taking it off you for these things I really don't see the problem? as soon as I leave college if I want to still live here I will be paying, whether that be paying out of wages student loan or dole money I will still be paying and I don't feel hard done by. you ask why people are telling you to grow up while your complaining about having to pay to live and not having any money left over. well sorry but thats what life on the dole is. and yes it might be very hard to get a job and that sucks it really does but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have to pay your way with what little you have and absolve you of any responsibility. if some parents want to let there adult children live with them for free thats fine its up to them but that doesn't mean if your parents don't you have something to complain about. you keep saying you wouldn't be able to afford to live anywhere else so maybe just be thankful that you can live there rather than whining that its not for free.
    Dole money is not enough to cover rent. I don't know where you've been renting? I'd like to live there! :p: If you live anywhere other than at home, you can get housing benefit to cover rent. You can't claim this if you live at home as it's presumed that you pay your parents negligible amounts of money while you aren't earning.

I pay my mother £0 and father 0€... I do however pay for my own food, that goes in my fridge in my room/office en-suite :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alibee)
    Dole money is not enough to cover rent. I don't know where you've been renting? I'd like to live there! :p: If you live anywhere other than at home, you can get housing benefit to cover rent. You can't claim this if you live at home as it's presumed that you pay your parents negligible amounts of money while you aren't earning.
    ok fair point but if you replace that statement with dole money is meant to cover essentials, which his parents are providing for him. I think the point still stands

ReputationRep:
    dole money is FOR rent and bills and food

JSA isn't for rent, that's what housing benefits are for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieJ)
    dole money is FOR rent and bills and food

JSA isn't for rent, that's what housing benefits are for.
    "ok fair point but if you replace that statement with dole money is meant to cover essentials, which his parents are providing for him. I think the point still stands"

ReputationRep:
    I'm still at uni and I'm barely here, but if I was working and living here I'd have to give some rent, I think my Mum said about £60 a month which is nothing.

Although I did have to give my mum £150 because she couldn't afford to pay the bills or buy food. Does that count?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilly Roach)
    As i've tried to explain to other posters on here,getting a job in the north west isn't easy.Very high unemployment and even the social are telling me there's no jobs about.
    No offence but do people seriously think that people like me wan't to leave uni then embarrisgly have to live at home because they can't afford to get a place of there own.
    most flats and houses won't take doleys
    doleys can't afford to buy propety
    and they earn double what i earn in a fortnight in a week.
    they have many thousands in the bank
    i have not
    also may i add could anyone here live on 20 odd quid a fortnight and when they give there money for food and bills
    they get no food or anything else as that money is spent on themselves
    and is it exceptablr that i get pyschically assaulted
    and insulted all the time
    If there are no jobs where you live, why don't you move? I have friends who have had to do this. The general term is 'get on your bike' I believe.

ReputationRep:
    Crazy how some people have to pay rent. my parents FORCE me to come home, during christmas or easter.
    They wouldnt even think about asking me to pay rent. even if i did live there. Thats just sad that some people have to give rent to their own parents. I could understand if maybe you have a job and your mother is a single parent who prolly doesnt get much income.

ReputationRep:
    It was your parents choice to bring you into this world. They should look after you until you can stand on your own two feet (which obviously & understandably you can't do yet). Unless your parents are really struggling to pay of bills and pay for food i don't think you should have to pay rent to live in the house you grew up in. If your parents are actually physically assaulting you i think you should apply for council accomadation, i have a friend who lives in a box flat because his parents used to abuse him.

ReputationRep:
    I pay £30 a week, this includes bills, rent and evening meal. Which am happy with to be honest. I think if anything my parents just want to teach me how to deal with my money and not piss it away on crap. TBF £30 a week is nothing.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    If there are no jobs where you live, why don't you move? I have friends who have had to do this. The general term is 'get on your bike' I believe.
    Because maybe it's because I DON'T have enough money to move.I don't know where you or some of the other people here live,but where I live most houses and flats won't allow doleys to renrt or live there.Also it's at least a good few 100 quid for a deposit.where you think i'm supposed to cough up £500 from.I don't even have a £170.I am not been rude vbut cleqarly some people here are obviously well off and don't get poverty at all.God help us all if any of you were poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    you don't have to move before you apply for a job.

apply to jobs all over the country, move after you get an offer and rent. its really not that expensive. you may need to borrow money for the deposit or get an advance from work.

i've moved out my house to a different city straight after sixth form and worked for a year to get money for uni. you have no bloody excuse not to get off your arse and get a job.
    No offence but Why are you insulting me?I think you obviously haven't read any of my posts.I don't have enough money for a deposit for a house.most deposits are £400-500,Where am I supposed to get it from? There's high unemployment THROUGHOUT UK.To be honest your obviously taking the mickey or is either well off and never been poor,so can't be bothered explaining anymotre.try living on 20odd pound a fortnight

ReputationRep:
    Some people on here don't know how lucky they are. Whilst in an ideal world it would be lovely to have parents who paid for everything you need it is just not always possible. I pay money to Mum because she needs it but thankfully I am aware that her needing money is no way related to how much she loves me. I think it is important for parents/guardians to teach their children the value of money but whether that is done by having them contribute to their upkeep is a personal matter and relates to individual circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    I don't pay rent - but I have no money to pay it with, I can barely scrape together for my own rent (I'm paying for a flat that I don't move into for four weeks!) .. I pay her bills though when she's struggling, I lend her money from my savings (not much) and I sometimes buy food for the three of us if necessary.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.