Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The order's for enzymes are first at low concs and zero and higher concs. Is this true for all catalysts?

Cheers
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by SmileyGurl13)
    The order's for enzymes are first at low concs and zero and higher concs. Is this true for all catalysts?

Cheers
    I wouldn't think so.

Enzymes are a very specific kind of catalyst whose kinetics are based on the active site model. Look up Michaelis Menten to see how they work, or download this (unzip and run).

Other catalysts work in completely different ways, eg template or other mechanisms. There is no reason why their behaviour should be like enzymes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    I wouldn't think so.

Enzymes are a very specific kind of catalyst whose kinetics are based on the active site model. Look up Michaelis Menten to see how they work, or download this (unzip and run).

Other catalysts work in completely different ways, eg template or other mechanisms. There is no reason why their behaviour should be like enzymes.
    So you don't think their order would change? It should be the same for any concentration?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by SmileyGurl13)
    So you don't think their order would change? It should be the same for any concentration?
    That is not what I said.

I said that you cannot compare all catalysts to enzymes are they are very specific.

The actual behaviour of a catalysis in terms of order will most likely be down to each system studied. Some systems do change orders with very high/very low concentrations. There is no reason to suppose that catalysts are any different.

So my answer is that you can't know without actually investigating a particular system.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 3, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.