Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack-)
    Im doing the AEA this year, haven't done any core revision yet though! Had my friend look at last years paper, and he reckons some of the stuff is done in the FP modules. Its supposed to be based on standard maths though isnt it? :/
    The first real AEA paper was in 2002. At that time it was based on P1-3, which is essentially the same as C1-4 but only cut into 3 modules. AEA was never based on FM material. Which questions do you think require FM?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    The first real AEA paper was in 2002. At that time it was based on P1-3, which is essentially the same as C1-4 but only cut into 3 modules. AEA was never based on FM material. Which questions do you think require FM?
    Well someone told me that the 2008-2010 papers are the only real relevant ones because they have just the C1-4 syllabus. I've done some of the older papers and while most of it is still relevant there are some questions which aren't. For example, on 2005 there was a question which required you to use double substitution which I don't think is on the regular maths syllabus is it? Also I've noticed that from 08-10 the questions are easier than the previous years, probably because it's all from the syllabus that I'm used to. Maybe it's my imagination but my scores on the more recent papers have been higher than the older papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raimu)
    Well someone told me that the 2008-2010 papers are the only real relevant ones because they have just the C1-4 syllabus. I've done some of the older papers and while most of it is still relevant there are some questions which aren't. For example, on 2005 there was a question which required you to use double substitution which I don't think is on the regular maths syllabus is it? Also I've noticed that from 08-10 the questions are easier than the previous years, probably because it's all from the syllabus that I'm used to. Maybe it's my imagination but my scores on the more recent papers have been higher than the older papers.
    The grade boundaries have also gone up over this period, so maybe it's that the papers have got easier rather than based on a different specification:
    For a Merit, 2007-2010:
    49 54 51 63

I don't think double substitution, as you call it, comes in anywhere on the Maths or FM specifications. That question just required you to look at each integral that you came to and treat it on its own merits. The word "extension" in the title of the qualification gives you a clue!

(C4 has been in existence since 2005).

ReputationRep:
    The grade boundaries have also gone up over this period, so maybe it's that the papers have got easier rather than based on a different specification:
    For a Merit, 2007-2010:
    49 54 51 63

I don't think double substitution, as you call it, comes in anywhere on the Maths or FM specifications. That question just required you to look at each integral that you came to and treat it on its own merits. The word "extension" in the title of the qualification gives you a clue!

(C4 has been in existence since 2005).
    To be fair the boundaries haven't really gotten a lot higher except for 2010 which was an outlier. In either case, it doesn't really matter, it just means I can use the older papers for even more practice, which is definitely a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, does anyone think our paper will follow the trend of the '08, '09 and '10 papers in the sense that it'll be easier than the older AEA papers? I know I can quite easily get a merit on these papers but if a paper like 2007 were to show up I'd probably only be able to scrape about 20 marks as that paper was really difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if you're allowed a piece of scrap paper in the exam to do rough working? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys know how strict they are with notation like do they expect you to use \Leftrightarrow or is i ok to go without them? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElMoro)
    Do you guys know how strict they are with notation like do they expect you to use \Leftrightarrow or is i ok to go without them? Thanks
    The mark scheme doesn't have them, so I don't see that you need to.

www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP GCE Curriculum 2000/June09-ms/9801_AEA_Maths_msc_20090717_UA02 1532.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Guys, Mr. M has said that he'll do answers for this if someone can get him a copy of the paper. So PLEASE TRY TO GET THE PAPER AFTER THE EXAM IF YOU CAN!

The mark scheme doesn't have them, so I don't see that you need to.
    Great, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    So, how prep going guys?

ReputationRep:
    All they expect is for the logical steps in your answer to be clear, you don't need to use any specific notation

ReputationRep:
    So, how prep going guys?
    Focusing completely on the AEA now, as I've finished all of my other exams. I can do enough question correctly to get distinctions, but I need to try to get quicker (it's odd that a 3 hour exam is the only one that I might be pushed for time). I think it's just about recognising what you have to do before starting the question, which should come with practice. Unfortunately this isn't like A-level where you can expect the same questions but with different numbers.

I'm not feeling too much pressure as I'm doing this for a bit of a challenge rather than for meeting an offer (I plan to apply for physics next year). Saying that, a distinction is sure to look good on my UCAS

ReputationRep:
    sitting AEA too . too stressed as didnt have enough time to prepare due to other exams . So its just few days . very very difficult

good luck to you guys

ReputationRep:
    I still have 4 more exams to go including AEA... 2 tomorrow, 2 on Monday... I need a distinction to get into Warwick, as I doubt I got a 2 or 1... in STEP III I sat yesterday or STEP I which I'm sitting tomorrow... haven't had enough time to revise for AEA due to other FM Maths exams... really hope I get a distinction...

ReputationRep:
    i gotta do AEA too ad i need to get a merit for my offer i havent prepared well as i have been doing physics which is right before my AEA

ReputationRep:
    yeah same i need a distinction in aea to get into warwick but i aint even started revising physics for monday and only done 2 aea papers... might have to be durham then!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing a mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    Did my first paper today after the disaster that was STEP I, it's so ****ing easy

ReputationRep:
    Heya, does anyone have the 2010 paper and mark scheme? It's secure/locked on the edexcel website

Also, what things will I need to know how to do without a calculator? xD All I can think of so far are:
    -Trig functions for 30, 45, 60, 90 etc.
    - Working with surds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheylan)
    Did my first paper today after the disaster that was STEP I, it's so ****ing easy
    Haha yeah, I agree. Well, I've done 3 past papers, 2 were easy but the third one was a little trickier but still nothing compared to STEP. Though I did those 2 past papers a while ago, and I feel my ability oscillates between good and bad and I'm currently in a bad position -.-.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 25, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.