Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Warwick uni never seems to appear in any of the top 200 world rankings on THE or ARWU. I don't understand how it is so good in this country but can't compare with other world unis. (Although not just Warwick, other top ten/twenties such as St Andrews etc)

Edit: I'M not saying that Warwick doesn't compare with other unis, I'm simply asking about the league tables.

ReputationRep:
    lemme guess. you go warwick?

ReputationRep:
    It's not good enough then it seems, however much you would like it to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smitht)
    Warwick uni never seems to appear in any of the top 200 world rankings on THE or ARWU. I don't understand how it is so good in this country but can't compare with other world unis. (Although not just Warwick, other top ten/twenties such as St Andrews etc)

(Original post by spocckka)
    It's not good enough then it seems, however much you would like it to be.
    I think this is what we all care about

http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...mployer-review

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Focus08)
    I think this is what we all care about

http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...mployer-review
    This--------- EMPLOYERS alone matter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fat-Love)
    lemme guess. you go warwick?
    I don't go to uni yet, it's on my list but I'm probably going to UCL/Imps.

ReputationRep:
    Probably because Warwick has only existed since 1965 - It's not even 50 years old yet! It's understandable that it won't compete alongside the greats.
    Also, I do think those rankings are very biased towards English-speaking universities only.

ReputationRep:
    The world rankings are based on how many times a piece of research from a university is used in other peoples work (essentially). Therefore for a university to do well in these rankings it has to be one of these two things (or both), a strong research university, and a big university ( big university =more staff= more research= more likely to be quoted)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    The world rankings are based on how many times a piece of research from a university is used in other peoples work (essentially). Therefore for a university to do well in these rankings it has to be one of these two things (or both), a strong research university, and a big university ( big university =more staff= more research= more likely to be quoted)
    Presumably universities which have been around longer would also have an advantage if the rankings are weighted towards this then? i.e. Warwick is fairly new compared to long standing universities like Oxford or Cambridge which physically have more research reports?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazydavy)
    Presumably universities which have been around longer would also have an advantage if the rankings are weighted towards this then? i.e. Warwick is fairly new compared to long standing universities like Oxford or Cambridge which physically have more research reports?
    That is true. Oxbridge have over half a milenia's head start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smitht)

Edit: I'M not saying that Warwick doesn't compare with other unis, I'm simply asking about the league tables.
    THE took on a different methodology after they parted with QS between 2009 and 2010. Note that Warwick ranks between 50 and 60 in QS in recent years.

As for the new THE methadology, :iiam:. Perhaps it just didn't suit Warwick??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    Remember these are all compiled by a bunch of journalists. BUT

Citations do seem to be a major part of the THE and American system. These are not reliable. They were considered for the next UK Research Excellence assessment but were dropped as unreliable. They are also (a) far more frequent in the sciences and technology and (b) in the social sciences are almost useless as a guide to quality.

The result is a strong bias to Universities that excel in science and technology and against those that excel in the arts and social sciences. This is the perennial problem of the LSE which never achieves a ranking commensurate with its world rep, which in the social sciences (which is all it does) rivals Oxbridge.

Warwick's strengths, apart from Maths, lies primarily in the arts and social sciences (History, Economics Sociology etc). So this may play a big part (it's good across the board, of course, but in these subjects it's ranked pretty close to the top of UK Unis). Also the THE editor is on record as saying Warwick's absence from the top 100 was an 'anomolie'. Expect it to make an appearance in the next one (or else the THE will lose credibility, since there are universities ranked above Warwick that did nowehere near as well in a series of research assessment exercises).

Also, the third ranking system, the QS World's Top Universities, ranks Warwick at 53

EDIT just noticed that in the social sciences the ARWU ranks Warwick at 42 one of only 10 non US Universities ranked in the top 50. Only Oxford cambridge and LSE of UK Unis is ranked ahead of them. Given this is a US based ranking that indicates Warwick is seen as a big hitter in the social sciences across the pond

Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.